FirearmsTalk as an advocacy group

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by opaww, Jan 15, 2009.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

What would be the chance that FirearmsTalk could muster the support and desire to put together a gun right advocacy group? In effect to send emails and letter to our Reps, in our government apposing or supporting a bill as a group. Anyone think this a good idea, yes, no, maybe?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think it's a great idea opaww, but the problem is we can't even get guys on the forum to copy and paste a letter that you wrote and send it to their Senators by e-mail. :mad:

We have a bunch of members, but few are active politically with more than just an opinion.

I think the weight of having a website of "X" number of members/voters who feel the same way about an issue, like gun/ammo control, would definitely have a greater voice than that of one lone voter - but again, we need participation!

I can't even get but three members to chip in a couple of dollars for our "Adopt a Platoon" drive and I have easily given out more than a couple dollars of free advice on gunsmithing on several occassions.

I am for us speaking as a collective instead of a bunch of little voices, but we NEED MORE PEOPLE TO BE INVOLVED!!

It's kind of disappointing me really, we have a real good group of guys, but for whatever reason, the commitment isn't there....

JD

3. Kent E

Kent E New Member

I'm sorry to be a naysayer, Dilliger, but they don't listed to letters... at all.

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

It's that sort of apathy that have us in the position that we're currently in. Without the few voices that we have, like the NRA and GOA, we'd really be up a creek.

Here is the problem I see with using an internet forum as a soap box: anonymity. NRA and GOA are able to present politicians with lists of real names and real addresses. These are things that are required, in most states, on legal petitions.

If money were involved, like requiring a membership fee, and we required people to provide their legal names and addresses, it would be feasible. These things aren't required though, so people feel free to speak their minds without fear of persecution.

5. opaww

opaww New Member

I would help out all I could with this idea, Let me think on this a little and present the idea with answers to the forum. Please feel free to post your openions on this subject.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have to say I disagree with you Kent. Without a voice, any voice, we would be even worse off then we are now. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and hope that things go our way.

One voice may not speak volumes, but it's better than sitting back and *****ing about it on an internet forum talking about "How things SHOULD be".

There have been several movements that have started with just a couple of folks that didn't like the way things were going.

Look what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did - he didn't start out with hundreds of thousands of followers....and today we have a semi black president, something that was UNHEARD of in his day...

Just a thought...

JD

7. opaww

opaww New Member

Some of the things we would need and need to do, as a FirearmsTalk advocacy group would be.

1. Appoint or elect a board to do most of the work.
    a. Coordinator
    b. Researchers
    c. Field agents (people who scan for possible Bills and would post alerts)
    d. A good writer
    2. Some possible national exposure and I think I got an idea on this
    3. Others to look at local and state levels for possible Bills
    4. A willing ness to participate

I see the need for no monetary donations as of yet, sense this will be basically what we already do as individuals but now we would do it also as FirearmsTalk Advocacy group. If one day we could throw in a lawyer or two and maybe a congressman/woman I think we could be heard. We may not make deference but if we don’t try it will be as if we just simply gave up.

8. Kent E

Kent E New Member

I hope you guys don't misinterpret my response. I'm all in favor of anything that we can do to support our Bill of rights... I've tried letters, but chuckie shumer fluffs them off every time.

I will help if I can be of any.

Martin Luther King JR. Had much more than a letter campaign. I think whatever is decided upon, it should include other creative attention getting ideas (all friendly and positive just like MLKjr.)

9. opaww

opaww New Member

Welcome aboard Kent, it is still worth a try.

10. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Anything I can do to help promote 2nd Amendment issues I'm game.

I've always thought that web forums will be a great Political tool in the very near future. People gathering for a single issue can get a lot done.

One problem I see is our Politics / Legal forum can get kind of borderline fringe in discussions. It might turn off a lot of people who want to support 2nd Amendment issues but don't want to be associated with anything too loudly vocal.

11. ScottG

ScottG New Member

What!!! Fringe?? Us??? :eek:

:D