Firearms related survival/ shtf questions

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by BigBizz87, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I have a few questions I'm looking to get some help with.

1) I own an AR15 and was trying to figure out what parts I should keep spares of that will be a must have for keeping it running properly in a shtf scenario.

2) Same as the first question but for my HK USP 40.

3) Lastly wondering what tools I should have incase of work needing to be done on either of these firearms I've already asked about.

Any Info/Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Springs. Mostly springs.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Extractors, springs, maybe a spare firing pin.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Hope that helps out.

5. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Patches, Qtips... bore snakes...and Ballistol.
    Tools.. an AR wench, allen set, screwdriver with changable tip, bore light.

6. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Thanks for all the quick replies with great info as always.

I'm online shopping for spare parts as we speak already have a spare spring kit and firing pin for the AR with cam pin and 2 sets of gas rings.

Seems like a spare bolt and extractor is next thing to get along with recoil springs for the USP

7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

One more question. What's a reasonable amount of ammo to have stored away for shtf not includeing ammo I'd be planning on shooting off at the range I currently have 500 rounds for each put away in a BOB any opinions other then "as much as u can" ;)

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

In the Ar 15 the primary wear items are :

- Firing pin
    - bolt
    - gas rings on bolt
    - extractor

I keep in my AR grip on most of my ARs 1 firing pin, 1 complete bolt ( which of course includes gas rings and extractor)
    Never wore out any springs yet with shooting more ammo than a man can carry in SHTF.

Come to think about it, the ammo it takes to wear out a newish Firing Pin and bolt is also more than a man can carry but flukes do happen on occasion.
    I have considered buying this http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...5862/JP_AR15_Enhanced_Bolt_Assembly_for_AR_15

And then save the weight of carrying an extra bolt

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I have a rule of thumb that I believe adjusts for the different prices of different calibers (for example no one will stash 500 rounds of match quality 50 BMG that are worth $5000 that would be too much and no one will make do with 500 rds of 22LR either for a 22LR MP 15 gun):

- Stash approx the amount of ammo that is equal in price to the value of your firearm.

I think that works well for most as a reasonable goal and gets us away form the "as much as possible" since we all have lives and budgets.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  10. JW357

JW357 New Member

The only thing you need in these situations is one very pointy tin foil hat.

All else fails, the hat will save your life.

11. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

I'm one of those guys that drops by the local Ma & Pa and picks up a box or two of ammo every payday... So when the last panic hit I wasn't dead in the water, but I didn't exactly go to the range twice a month and blow through 100 rounds in an hour either.
    That being said, at any given time I probably have around 300-400 rounds of plinking 223 on hand for my AR... but I also keep 3 30round mags loaded with 20rounds of green tip 5.56 each (why 20? Easier on the mag springs for long term storage IMHO).... and that's it. Those mags are the only thing I keep loaded and at the ready other than my CCW piece in my house... and they stay locked in a ammo can seperate from the cabinet. Safety first... especially with kids in the home.
    ...Now 22lr...?? IMPOSSIBLE to have too much of that... especially when you have kids in the home (that also shoot that is..) ;)

In all honesty though... My 12 gauge pump would be my "go to" grab if I could only have one to take. Just my 2 cents... Your milage may vary.

12. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

1000 rounds of 223/556 for me. 3000 rounds of 22lr. 250 rounds of 12 gauge slugs. 250 rounds of 45. 250 rounds of 270. That is my long term stuff to be stored. Above those numbers, when I buy ammo it is for shooting.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine carrying 1000 rounds of anything but 22LR in a BOB. I would have a brick of 22LR and 100 rounds of my carry ammo. If you are talking a real survival bag, you need space and weight for real survival equipment. You should have food, water, fire starting, shelter making, water purifying, gps or map and compass. In a survival situation if you were carrying 1000 rounds of center fire ammo you would probably freeze or starve to death before you got to shoot anything.

14. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I have 2 BOBs one with ammo and gun related supplies and one with food and other necessities I acctually carried my ammo bag on my last hiking trip it was heavy but I made it 2 miles before imeeded to take a break so the weight of 1000 rounds Is very do able for me in short term bug out

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

So you expect to need 1000 rounds during a short term bug out?:eek:

16. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

I'm sure GTX was talking interms of "at home" supply to keep on hand... which would make sense... but for a "bug out" situation??? You have to be reasonable. This "We're gonna go out into the hills/woods/desert and live off the land and form a resistance" is more or less a fantasy.... No matter what you see on "Doomsday Preppers".
    If you're going to bug out, take only what you need to get to a safe local... You know, your bug out TO location, which should have the extra rounds....and food... and medical... and water. Otherwise.. hunker down where you are, circle the wagons with family and the neighbors... ride it out (if you can).

Now BigBizz... Just how tall are you?? Bet you can bench your own weight....

17. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Will definitely need a lower parts kit. A extra bolt, gastube, an depending on how much u plan to shoot maybe a extra barrel too. You can never have enough extra parts!!

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Cope in order to wear out a barrel it takes more ammo than you we can carry.
    SHTF is not going to be some constant shoot 'em up orgy.
    A LPK is overkill too. I mean when was the last time you wore out parts in your lower?

Any spare part is less ammo you can carry, prepare for the ,most likely while keeping weight as reasonable as possible

19. drew661

drew661 New Member

I would think about relatively inexpensive spare parts less of a run and gun SHTF scenario and more of " what if spare parts just are not available in the future"

20. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

What I ment was I could carry the weight of it wouldn't take 1000 rounds on a short term "bug out" probably less then half that number but in terms of carrying a heavy pack decent distances