Firearms loaded in vehicle lock box

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by G30USMC, Jan 2, 2012.

1. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Just was trying to get opinions on this topic.

I have a nano vault nv300 in my truck under the seat, do you guys leave your firearm loaded, while in the lock box? Loaded means just that, not just full mag, but also one in the chamber?

I have a G26 Gen4 and i have been keeping it fully loaded, while in the lock box? Just was seeing if this is a recommended practice?

Thanks for the input!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From a LEGAL standpoint- depends on the law where YOU are, and most of us are lousy legal advisors.

From a functional sand safety standpoint- no reason not to. There should be nothing inside that the storage box that will cause the weapon to fire.

3. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

It's a bit tedious, but both my wife and I ALWAYS have a gun on our person OR in a lockbox in the car. I used to keep a gun hidden in my truck, but the nano vault with a cable makes it very difficult for someone to snatch it. I say tedious, because EVERY time I get in or out of my truck, I unlock/lock the lockbox. Don't want to fiddle with it if I were to need it, even though I also have one on my person.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

4. SIGnature

SIGnature New Member

Pretty much the only time I leave my gun in the vehicle lock-box is when I'm at work. My company has anti-gun policies and I'd prefer not to lose my direct deposit. The gun comes out of the holster and into the lock-box in the morning and then the procedure is reversed when I leave -- always one in the chamber.

I know this is legal in Florida where I live... further because I have a CWFL in Florida there is a law protecting me when I leave the gun in the car.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I dont use a lock box in my truck, i just leave it under the seat or in the door pocket. My employer knows i carry but because i have a valid indiana handgun license they cant do anything about me having it in my vehicle.

6. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Well, for your question as posted, of course it stays loaded in a lock box in my vehicle. Why would I unload/reload everytime I exit the vehicle? That would be inconvinient and some what dangerous. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading a weapon in my front seat in a crowded parking lot.

That said, where I live it's legal to have a loaded weapon in the car. I don't have any idea what the laws are where you reside.

7. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I always have it loaded with a round in the chamber.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I always have a handgun loaded in my truck but not in a lockbox-
    If I need it i sure dont want to say "WAIT- I gotta unlock my box & get my gun":eek:

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'm retired so no worry about employer rules & the only time I leave my pistol in my vehicle is because I'm going somewhere that it's illegal to carry. I'm a believer in locks only keep honest people out. The pistol case is only going to slow a determined scum bag down or, in some cases, discourage the laziest of them. I prefer that they don't get a loaded pistol, so I generally unload it & take mag & ammo with me. One exception to this would be if I was going into an area with a screening device, such as Federal Court, then I leave it loaded.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have the same Nano vault box beneath car seat. When I have to leave firearm in box for some reason I leave it fully loaded with one in chamber awaiting my return. ;)

11. docholliday29

docholliday29 New Member

I always carry and store my weapons with one in the chamber. I think the only people who really don't keep one in the chamber are those folks on tv who always chamber a round right before they get ready to throw down ;).

But on a more serious note, I think its simpler to have all firearms the same way (one in the chamber). As Forrest would say, "One less thing." I don't want to remember which state the pistol is in before shooting. I have several and keeping them all chambered is simpler for me as opposed to this one is and that one isn't....

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have a CWP, and carry everywhere I can legally do so, but when I get to my job I have to leave it in my car. So, to avoid having some po' soul choose to be offended because he sees me unloading my piece, I just leave it loaded and quickly lock it in my glove box, which is legal here. That way it won't be visible for a long enough time to be "brandishing".

13. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the same Nano lock box. When I get out of the car for work (carry forbidden) I take my 38 out of it's hiding place in the console, and lock it up. Mostly so if someone breaks into the car, the gun is not easily taken. When I leave work, I unlock it and put it back into the console. If I stop at the store it goes into a holster and my pocket. The gun rarely comes into the house.

14. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Depends on the jurisdiction. I believe in Illinois the only way you can carry a gun in your car is locked in the trunk, and it has to be unloaded, locked or not.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i need to get a small lockbox for my vehicles for while im at work. right now im just leaving it empty in the center console. i would be devastated if one of our patients (some can be behaviour issues) would break into my truck and took my xdm. right now there isnt anything they can do with it since i keep the ammo in my pocket while working. but i still want a lockbox for it.

16. fcoy2

fcoy2 New Member

I have similar lock boxes both in my car and bolted inside a desk drawer at work. My employer has a "no weapons" policy in employee handbook, but no signs posted on the building. When I get to work it gets locked in my desk, and it comes out when I leave. Generally the only time the box in the car gets used is when I am entering a building where firearms are prohibited, or I plan to have a beer or two in a restaurant. The rest of the time it is with me, even while at home.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

This is something I need to get as well. I cannot bring a weapon into my place of work (corrections), so unless I leave it it my glovebox, I cannot bring it with me at all. The glovebox is not a real secure place to store weapons if someone gets in to your vehicle, even locked.

I'm assuming all who do this have a CCW unless your state allows carry or vehicle storage without one. Here, there is specific language in the statutes about vehicle carry. You cannot have a loaded weapon in your vehicle unless you have a carry permit.

18. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Correct. You can't even have it unloaded in you back seat, it has to be the trunk. I am not sure of the policy with SUV since they have no trunk.

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, and even harder in some states with their laws. I'm lucky enough in Oregon. My work, too, disallows for the carrying of any weapon on grounds. Currently I just don't carry when going to work, but if I wanted to I can leave it in a locked compartment in the vehicle, loaded or not. That doesn't help with theft, however the make and model of my car does. Nobody wants to break into an 83 Volvo sedan with rust spots, faded paint, and a dent in rear passanger door. Hahaha

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012