Firearms Instructors

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by CplDuenas, Mar 7, 2011.

1. CplDuenas

CplDuenas New Member

I am a former Infantry Marine, working in the Executive Protection business, and looking into starting out my own small Firearms Instructor business. Currently in the process of taking the needed NRA Certification, but was wonder if there were any other things I should be looking into. For example, should it be a DBA or an LLC? What else might I need to research? I plan on trying to work part time for an already established Instructor/Company before hand for some experience, but am starting the research process now. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Semper Fi.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One of the most important aspects of any home run business is being able to protect yourself from liability issues - and you need to incorporate to do that. Even an LLC will provide this basic protection which serves to isolate YOUR assets from the BUSINESS assets. Also, look at what insurance will cost you. In many cases, the cost of liability insurance will shock you. Any business involving newbies and firearms will need good insurance. It's also handy to know an accountant when tax time comes...

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Semper Fi...but be advised there are a lot of certified firearms instructors in civvie land. In most cases it will be a side job not a career. Good luck and I wish you success.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. See an attorney, and incorporate. Otherwise, the cost of legal defense of the first lawsuit will have you living in a cheap apartment and driving a Yugo for the rest of your life. And that is if you WIN.

2. See an accountant. When he is talking, you should be taking notes. On what records you need, in what form. And learn how the business is going to pay for your new sidearm, holster, ammo- and write it off on your taxes.

3. See an insurance agent. As a minimum, you will need professional liability insurance for the corporation. The important part- it provides for legal defense.

5. CplDuenas

CplDuenas New Member

Advice

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    - I do have an accountant that is a family friend as well so I am set there. I just need to set up a meeting with him about setting all this up. I am thinking an LLC over corporation just due to it being easier and less taxes
    - I know that the NRA(which I am a Life Member) offers insurance for their certified instructors, so I am going to look into that, as well as independent insurance companies.
    - @7point62, I know there are a lot of certified instructors out there, and I plan on it being a side gig mainly, though in the future I would hope to maybe make some needed connections and work with/assist someone else and their company who has an established record and who helps train our brothers on Pendleton or local LEAs

6. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rog that get in with a tactical training contractor with a solid rep, like Viking Tactics etc. Build up your creds and then branch out on your own. Any Marine infantry vet coming into the field already has a leg up.

7. USNWO

USNWO New Member

Hooyah, Marine. As someone else said, you need to LLC, just so that what is yours is yours and what is the business's is the business's. Also, probably should contact a lawyer. They ain't good for much, but they get ya out of some sticky **** sometimes. Best of luck.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

LLC is the way to go, if your state permits it. You get the protections of a corporation and taxed as a sole proprietorship.

https://www.legalzoom.com/llc-guide/limited-liability-company-edu-center.html

Form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) Online with LegalZoom

Good luck with your new venture..

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community and thank you for your service. Best of luck with your new venture.

10. CplDuenas

CplDuenas New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

11. paul

paul New Member

Firearm Instructors

1st of all, thank you for your service to the USA, Semper Fi. NRA is an excellent place to begin. It'll tell you where, when, to go and get the courses and certifications on becoming a instructor, RSO, coach. I'm in the process of achieving my 4th instructor discipline; IAW, certified rifle/pistol instructor, Range Safety Officer, etc. Just a suggestion for a starting point, the NRA, and I hope you'll enjoy volunteering your skills to Boy Scouts, 4-H clubs of America, others. If you can make a "living" at being an instructor or a coach, more power to 'ya. You'll see that when you seek training, most all of it will be taught by volunteer instructors. I know guys who do alright by making dollars teaching CCL classes and self protection courses part-time. The least that'll happen is being able to enjoy this gun forum. Enjoy life.:)

12. AmericanDefensive

AmericanDefensive New Member

Cpl Duenas

There's a lot to learn in setting up the business aspect of it, a lot of research. But there is a ton of information out there, it's just a matter of searching through it and filtering the BS. I just got out of the Corps and started my own business American Defensive. Check out the website and give me a call, and I can let you know what we had to do. American Defensive LLC

Good Luck
    Semper fi

13. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

cpl.

The guys are correct. I own my own LE training company. And the LLC. is the way to go to protect your personal property. And doesn't cost you an arm and a leg!

15. ProShooter

ProShooter New Member

LLC is what worked for us. We set up our business in Virginia and the LLC seemed to be the best option.