Firearms fitness as a working adult - (yes, this is a form of "gun training" and "safety")

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by bluez, Oct 26, 2019.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Starting this week right.

Heavy Ruck today and yesterday.
    Albeit a bit shorter distance than normal, they were quite fast

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Off to the gym (for weights and cardio) and then the park (for a long, brisk walk) right now. A lot of the aches and pains are beginning to subside, as the body's getting flogged a bit more. Gotta love that, how "the body knows." Indeed it does.

Time to hop to it ...

bluez likes this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Awesome!! :D

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Saturday, Swam in a cold mountain Lake.
    (only 16 minutes tho had no watch and thought i was at 20 my minimum for cardio)

Today swam same lake 24 minutes.

I know it doesnt sound like a long time.. but even though it is Sept.. this is a glacial fed lake and is cold.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

First Exercise of the week.

One Ruckmarch

6. G66enigma

Achy legs, for me. Just can't seem to get daily load-bearing exercising done. Body's claiming old age, a bit, and won't heal up from the last flogging nearly as quickly as it once did. (A sure sign, that is.)

Of course, the more frequently I do hammer on 'em, the faster the recoveries seem to go. So, I'll take it as a sign. To stay the course, more or less. It'll get better once I get the bike back into service. Can't be doing any running, and there aren't many hills nearby for poking around trails.

Off to the races, in the morning, again.

bluez likes this.
  7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Great attitude!
    This is what this thread is all about!! :)

Try a 20 lb ruck .
    20 lbs is approx the weight of a properly sorted AR15, plus full mags, plus,plus one Baofeng 5VR, first aid kit, plus water, plus spare socks.

So if you can handle a 20 lb ruck for some moderate distance, you are at moderate tactical utility.

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Another hard Ruckmarch today.

9. G66enigma

Hard cardio, a good hour of cycling, several thousand reps on a variety of hip/leg muscles. Will stretch soon, to work out the kinks.

Likely, adding in a few miles' of walking this afternoon in the park. Assuming everything doesn't stiffen up on me.

Nicely, many of the old aches are starting to fade to the background. (2020 hasn't been kind, in that regard, until recently.)

Gettin' older is so much fun. Even more so, with old injuries that choose to play their little games.

bluez likes this.
  10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Did a light walk on Friday to shake out my stiff legs (from previous days hill ruckmarch) and yesterday went on a long hill climb walk aproxx 90 minutes w/o a ruck.

Why am I doing all legs + cardio past couple months when I usually swear on mixing it up hard with weights for upper body strenght to easily hold, point and rip around a rifle for a long time with adroitness?

I hate exercising with mask in Gym is one reason and also recently I have someone living with me who is not suitable for gym but she can accompany me on my ruckmarches (while not wearing a ruck)

11. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

not exactly a "ruck march" but I did dust off my 50lb weight vest and walked about 2 miles maybe?

fun stuff.

bluez likes this.
  12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

-50 lbs easily qualifies as "Ruck march" in my book.
    I am well over 200lbs and I consider my 55-60 lbs ruck heavy and I only graduated to that weight after a couple months of 3o ish lbs

- Also did a Ruck march last night.

- I always carry catfood in my ruck as well and last nite that was rewarded.
    Met a nice stray cat and fed it a nice meal.

13. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

I am thinking more of the walking on sidewalk in crosstrainer shoes paced by my soon to be 75yr old mother aspect lol.

felt good to take that vest off at the end though

bluez likes this.
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Last week finished with 4 exercises all ruck marches.
    This week only 3.. but they were solid..