Firearms fitness as a working adult - (yes, this is a form of "gun training" and "safety")

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by bluez, Oct 26, 2019.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Just got back from a Ruckmarch. Only my 2nd exercise for the week so I am badly behind.
    Had the sniffles a bit yesterday so didnt do a thing.

Even so these ruckmarches I feel are a good functional workout.

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sunday I did a solid run..
    Monday nothing..

Today Tuesday Just got back from a nice ruckmarch.

Hard times ahead.
    best get ready

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    PANDEMIC likes this.

3. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I don't do much working out, but I have been hiking/backpacking some rough terrain with friends in the past week. And found I lost some weight. So... I'm making some progress :D

bluez likes this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Last 2.5 weeks I did very little as I was on work travel.

So far this week (its Friday) I had 2 solid ruckmarches through hills plus one run.
    So all I need is one more workout for the week to get to my 4ht and I will have had a successful week for exericise.

Hard times are coming.. best get ready..

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The only exercise I am getting is getting out of my front porch rocker and going down the steps to pee in the grass. I probably get a couple of miles a day in that way.

Rifling82, primer1 and Pasquanel like this.
  6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Myself, I'm still working hard on mitigating old injuries. Can't do ruck marches, these days. Focusing on strengthening overall, targeting the old injured areas, doing whole-body strengthening exercises, stretching, and various cardio.

I'll tell you, though, if bugging out but a two-wheeled or four-wheeled vehicle doesn't happen to be nearby, I'm toast ... and will likely be found in a pile of brass. No ability to "ruck" it more than a dozen miles max, and that'd be stretching it. No real way around that.

Got to love old injuries. Ugly, how they limit things.

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

G66,
    I just wrote this up for you... and Ghost and the rest of the grey hair gang on here :)

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/tactical-load-outs-for-older-men.140470/

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I was in no mood for it today... but went on a run.. to get my 4th workout for the week..
    Need to bounce back from my recent work travel that kept me sedentary for 2.5 weeks..

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Managed to squeeze in a run this morning.
    I was hesitant to run because I just did yesterday and I could feel some very light soreness.., prefer to leave a days gap between runs since I am a bit heavy these days and i consider myself in a "getting-back-into-it" phase due to extensive recent work travel.

But the opportunity to start the week off right, could not be missed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. G66enigma

What's your approach, with running? Basically your ruck march routes, but decked-out for running? Or, simpler and flatter, at least as you're getting back into things?

(Once was a solid runner, back in the day, before injuries and "life" happened.)

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Yes you suspected correctly my route is different.

My running route is in the rough vicinity of my rucking route, but its much flatter to limit the impact stress on my knees (downhill) and plantar fascia (uphill).

A couple hills are in it, but they are not as steep.
    Also I dont like running fast a steep downhil,l since it puts a lot of shock n the joints ( as i said i am heavy and not young)
    During a march, even with a heavy(ish) ruck that is much easier to control.

I use the ruck marches to build up my functional leg strengths and to load my tendons and joints in a way that I hope it will build them up..

My ultimate goal is to transition to all regular runs at good speed, as the ultimate indicator of cardio fitness.

When I was a Cadet I was among the most feared cross country runners in my class. (despite being larger even back then.. but back then it was all muscle.. in my prime I did not look all that different from Jean Claude vanDamme in his prime..)

But I digress..
    When I started getting back into it this spring/summer to rescue myself from the COVID isolation fatness..:
    I started out first just 3-4 walks per week for 2 weeks. (I was suffering muscle atrophy I think from being cooped up so long also after quarantine form my COVID bout)
    then 2-4 ruck marches per week for a month or so. Medium weight (35ish lbs)
    then 2-4 ruck marches per week faster and heavy (55-60lbs) for another month.

And now I am transitioning to runs again as I am confident my muscles, joints and tendons have been loaded enough in past 2-3 months to support running w/ minimal chance of injury.

Sometimes when its late and I feel too lazy for a run I still do a ruckmarch instead.. I dont need a lot of activation energy to slap on the ruck and just head out..
    With a run I feel to need to set myself up perfect for it first.. hydrate and psych myself up a bit.. Ruckmarch is easy to just go and do.

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Tonight I did not have the energy for a run.
    Did a ruck march instead.
    Took me about 54 minutes w/ a 55-60 lb pack.

14. G66enigma

Have been doing a lot of early-morning workouts, lately. Mostly, with little to no breakfast prior to the workout. (Which limits how much "ready" energy's in the tank, of course.)

Recently, I made one change on a given day, and I'm pretty sure nothing else was different. Sleep was the same, hydration as well, along with recovery time from the prior hard-effort workout. The change: had a modestly-sized protein-rich meal about 2hrs prior to the start of the workout. Kept me going at a moderately strong pace for 3hrs. Which is about 40% longer than normal. And I felt like I'd "had my Wheaties" the whole time. Felt stronger, pushed harder, did more cardio, lasted longer.

Will do the same thing tomorrow morning. Perhaps it'll become a "thing" with me. We'll see.

bluez likes this.
  15. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Arms and shoulders, need to do more chest stuff. Resistance bands are a lot easier to store than free weights, especially in a little apartment. Still wish I had a bench in here though. 1597880732661.jpeg

bluez likes this.
  16. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

I do quite a bit of weightlifting/recreational bodybuilding. But the cardio aspect is super weak. I deffo need to tighten up that weak link. but at 53, i dont see much "running" in my future lol

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. G66enigma

Felt a little "flat" this morning, during the workout. A bit stiff from yesterday's harder session. Though, it was more than a couple of hours. Had plenty of proteins and some carbs, this morning. Did about two-thirds of anticipated cardio, and modest weights, with a range of stretches. Will continue stretching a couple times, today, to see if the "kinks" get eased.

bluez likes this.
  18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Try ruck marching..
    I run on occasion and our ages are nearly identical

CZ Newb likes this.
  19. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

walked to my 100 yd target 4-6 times at the range today. Yep, cardio done for the day!

bluez likes this.
  20. G66enigma

You can try this little trick, if outright "cardio" activities (such as swimming, rowing, running) aren't your cup of tea:

In between each set of your weight-bearing exercises, hit the floor and do something strictly bodyweight ... pushups, situps, burpees, mountain climbers, etc., but on those exercises, do a minute or more and at such a pace that your cardio starts getting dinged. You'll find 30mins of "weights" interspersed with floor exercises can be intensely cardio, depending on how aggressively you do the floor work and how little recovery time you allow yourself.

Your outright strength sets will have recovery, but your in-between stuff will goose your cardio. A simple change, but a very different result. Still all strength oriented, but with a solid dose of cardio woven in.

Another alternative: TRX exercises as part of your strength sessions, done in a circuit of multiple exercises. Done similarly to the above strength+floor circuits. Very cardio.

CZ Newb and bluez like this.