Firearms fitness as a working adult - (yes, this is a form of "gun training" and "safety")

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by bluez, Oct 26, 2019.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Only doing a run today.. I thought it was one day later in the week than it really was.
    Friday will be Gym

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Today I again tried some exercises different from my normal routine..

My normal routine is designed to support infantry type activities but I still need to mix it up a bit

So today, in order:

3x Sets close arm pushups to failure... push-ups are a lot easier to me now then even two weeks ago

3x Sets of Seated row to failure

4x times plank

8 minutes of Stretches

3x sets dumbbell standing military press to failure

2 x sets hip tuck

4x times farmers walk to near failure (failure defined as drop of weight)

1x sets of sit ups (only one set, because I was actually, not figuratively, passing out near the end.. just barely caught myself)
    I was gonna call it a day and go right then, but after I recovered a bit decided to still squeeze in some:

3 x sets frontal raises (raises, especially frontal, are critical to have a stable firing platform thru your shoulders to hold your carbine on target while firing from the standing unsupported and also to quickly respond to moving targets..especially when exhausted and in a reflexive fire situation .)

still planning on a run in the evening..

Just like many others on this board I am not a young man.... not even close.. but after 20 yrs army I know how to work thru "the suck".... I dont care what your age is, unless you are outright major handicapped, if I can do it ,so can you.

Remember: No fate but what we make..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Ghost1958 and G66enigma like this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The MOnday after that last post I went on a hard run with a buddy how is still active duty.

He smoked me of course.
    but it was a great workout.
    Tuesday I did nothing to let my legs recover.
    Wed I could have but I was lazy.. same with thursday..

But today I just came back from a nice long hard nighttime ruckmarch
    And I have the next two days to get to my miminum of 4 workouts for the week.

4. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

Darn bluez...i’m exhausted reading about you exercising...whew...:eek:
    You go...tho glad you started w/o me! :rolleyes:

bluez likes this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Followed up with another ruckmarch today.

My 3rd Cardio for the week.
    Today I substantially increased the load from approx 35 lbs, to approx 57 lbs, by addition of a 10kg (22 lbs) plate.

I could really feel the difference especially on the uphill and got gassed.

Tomorrow Gym, mostly upper body a little core too.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

After Mondays run this week, I did nothing on Tuesday due to work.
    Nothing on Wednesday due to well,, laziness... but today being Thursday I knew if I dont get a workout in it will ruin the week as it will likely take away my ability to have 4 for the week..

So went on a ruck march.
    Again with 60lbs not 35.. felt a lot easier now than when I did it the first time a week ago.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruck tomorrow, only 50ish pounds. Thinking about getting a new pack, maybe a Mystery Ranch

bluez likes this.
  8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "only" to 50 lbs.. it took me a while to work up to 60 for a hilly march...

SRK97 likes this.
  9. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Member

The only exercises I do are dead lifts and push-ups, and I am not even consistent with those.

I am 55 years old, and maybe 5 pounds overweight. When I have my annual checkup at the VA, the doc says to keep on doing whatever I’m doing.

So, I continue to eat my Hershey bars, dip my Copenhagen, and enjoy life:)

I’m serious enough for SD to make sure I stay practiced with my CC so that my draw to hit times are below 1.5 seconds from concealed at 10 yards, and I can draw and make hits while doing dynamic movement off line.

My AR rifles collect dust in the safe, but after 8 years of carry and use in the combat zone, I figure it will all come back to me if needed:)

SRK97 and bluez like this.
  10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Was making great time until I found all those black berry bushes. 10 miles is enough for me right now, I need better hiking shoes than 10lb work boots Screenshot_20200703-120659_onX%20Hunt.jpeg

bluez likes this.
  11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Rock on fellas!
    Keep 'em coming!

Here is me today:
    To my surprise my legs weren't sore at all from yesterdays hard and heavy ruckmarch.

In recent weeks/months as I am getting back into shape this soreness was often a limiting factor as it made me doubt the wisdom of consecutive days legs.

After a run or a hard ruckmarch my legs would be sore for one, or even two days..

So I would not re-exercise them with another cardio in order to allow them full recovery ( I suspected my advancing middle age was responsible).

Well it appears it was the deconditioning that had been responsible.
    Because today no soreness at all, despite a heavy ruck march thru the hills yesterday.

So today I ran again..
    I was a bit slow (not losing any weight with all this telecommuting...) but at least i was out there.

Hard times are coming, best get ready.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    SRK97 likes this.
  12. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Found my fitbit. And a box of thin mint girl scout cookies. Tannerite and another can of mace. Hiked to the garden to fill Management's garden tiller with gas. Fitbit charging. Enough exercise for one day. Go Bluez, exercise fascinates me. I can sit and watch for hours.

bluez likes this.
  13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Went on a ruck march today. 60lb ruck.. not far, approx 4 miles, but fast and hard in hilly terrain.
    This stuff is getting easier the more often I do it..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020 at 5:03 PM
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Just got back from a run.. my 3rd cardio of the week.