Firearms fitness as a working adult - (yes this is a form of "gun training" and "safety")

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by bluez, Oct 26, 2019.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I consider fitness a form of fire arms training.
    Why?
    Your ability to hold the firearm consistently , your ability to reload in awkward positions for self defense.. or even the proper employment of a tactical rifle such as an AR 15, presupposes some degree of physical fitness.
    Without it you are not really dangerous to your enemies.
    Also exhausted men will not spot someone lying in wait for them as easily.. and are less safe on the range of a rigorous Carbine course as tunnel vision sets in when they struggle just to hold their rifle and maneuver around the targets.

No matter your age, your ability to to put rounds on target will benefit tremendously from exercise and the resulting fitness.
    I know guys in their 70s who stay fit enough to go running and gunning at Carbine course with their teenage grandsons.
    This would not be possible if they didn't work at it.

A couple thoughts about getting started as a working adult ( because thats the hardest situation to be in right?)

- Find your best time of the day. Many, if not most people have the most energy in the morning. Once you are used to it ,its easy to get up an hour early, take care of fitness via a run or some calisthenics at home or stop by a gym on the way and then go to work.
    The Big advantage of this approach is you needed to shower and get dressed in work clothes anyway to go to work, so the shower/getting dressed time u use after exercising in the morning is really not extra time spent and is so "free".

- Some like to get away from the office desk in the middle of the day the most. Its early enough they still have energy and late enough they feel they accomplished something for the day already.
    I fall in this category.
    The inherent risk is if work is too busy in the middle of the day you may lose your exercise opportunity as many bosses dont like it when someone stops in the middle of a project to "go run" or "go to the "Gym".

Also this only works in locations were you have an immediate running route to go on from the office.. (because in the middle of the work day "lunch hour" you will not have time to get in your car to travel anywhere and back..) or a Gym in the building itself or next building over.
    This is usually is only the case in very large office buildings or Office parks.. Not everyone will have the opportunity to do this but its method that has worked for me.

- After work. While many people are at their lowest energy now...organizationally this is usually the easiest time to exercise.
    You're on your way home anyway..unlike the morning you are not pressed to make a hard time such as a work-start.. just stopping by a gym or going on a run straight out of work can be fit super easy into your workday..
    Your family doesnt feel they "own" your time yet too.
    If your work does not have a gym and/or shower to shower after the run, bring some wetwipe or if you dont care about your vehicle, drive home sweaty.

- Also remember you can always catch up with one or even two extra exercises for the week on the weekend... this can help you to get to your minimum 3 or 4 exercises if you knock out one on the weekend (which I am about to do today and which will bring me to my 4 for the week)

- Finally the ultimate way to get started and not lose your way when exercising is to find an exercise buddy. Ideally someone who works with you. This makes it MUCH easier to get up and out rather thna just stay sitting at the desk and surf the internet during lunch hour.
    Not everyone will have this advantage (I currently dont which is why its a struggle to get my 4 times a week).
    But even without an exercise buddy you can do it if you just push yourself a bit.

JimRau, towboater and blueeagle1973 like this.
  2. blueeagle1973

blueeagle1973 New Member

Good points! I actually do kettlebell training at home after work. I do simple 20 to 30 minute circuits that incorporate target shooting with a laser light cartridge inserted into my firearm. This way I am practicing target acquisition and good trigger pull while my body is stressed. I think they key to it is to keep it simple and fun and many will find it easier to stay consistent in their physical training. I know it has made a big difference for me.

towboater and bluez like this.

3. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I love to walk, actually I'm addicted to it. I've got a 560 day streak going of a three mile walk every day. Gets tough in the heat of Summer and the cold of winter but right now walking is a joy.

If I don't have my 3 miles in by 3 pm. I start getting antsy.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Welcome to FireArmsTalk! :)
    Great first post too!

blueeagle1973 likes this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I am bumping this with a special eye on our brothers in Virginia!

Rentacop and blueeagle1973 like this.
  6. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

More fitness is always a good thing. Like skills, knowledge and experience.. it all helps. That said, lets not pretend that a person of poor fitness cannot mount a reasonable or successful defense against a criminal attacker. A person in a wheel chair, a person who is missing limbs, a person pulling an oxygen tank, can certainly have the occasion to win a fight. Especially if we are talking about the use of firearms.

My mother is 81 and can manage minute of pie plate with her Ruger Sp101 at 36 feet. She will often ( not always) use a cane for assistance. She cannot run, cannot do one pushup or get up from the ground unassisted BUT I promise that if someone were to break into her home in the middle of the night, she has grit enough to put 6 rounds in their direction, reload and do it again.

Fitness is great and I am a proponent of the ongoing efforts to remain fit. Lets just not pretend that a lack of fitness means an inability to fight. If a person has the mental fortitude to fight and can pull a trigger.. they are no joke.

tazo2503 and towboater like this.
  7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Lack of fitness makes it harder to hold the gun and to maneuver form cover to cover.
    Sure in a best case scenario someone in even a wheelchair and point and pull the trigger.
    But how often is that best case scenario ever been there?

You need to be able to move from cover to cover, while carrying your weapon and your ammo on your body.
    And that just static defense around the house...
    Never mind a grid down situation where you are patrolling arond the homestead in all weather carrying your water,spare mags, etc on your body while perhaps moving up and down hills.
    With zero fitness sure u can sit in a chair and pull the trigger... but can you maneuver when the bad guy is running around your house?
    Can you jump from one corner to another?
    Can you keep your heartbeat low enough, hold a steady weapon and think clearly?

In most cases not.

Anyone who believes in self defense and does not make even a modicum of effort towards some degree of fitness merely has a gun hobby.

towboater likes this.
  8. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

If a person cannot hold a gun, I doubt "fitness" is their problem. That sounds like a result of being infirmed due to age or illness. It also sounds like a condition resulting from injury or existing handicap. Fitness may not cure those issues.

As far as maneuvering to cover.. its possible but often a scenario based on television/movie fantasy. Citizen involved gun fights are typically over in mere seconds. No cover, no concealment, no transition to other weapons and no reloads.
    Not being able to "run to cover" is not a doom and gloom issue. If that is a person situation, you accept it and form a strategy that maximizes what you ARE able to do.

Who knows, .. but its not something to fret over if you are the guy in the wheelchair. You can take on the mindset of a powerless victim or you can decide to do something else. I am a proponent of an empowerment mindset not victimology.

You do? really? … I don't think the national statistics line with that claim. I do agree that you (may) need to do those things. The flip side is that you ( may ) not have to.

If you are suggesting that most home defense/ home invasion events include people running all around their house while carrying their weapon and ammo, I will politely disagree.

ok I will never mind it

people of poor fitness commit violence and people of poor fitness defend themselves probably every day. Being fit is a benefit and being fit certainly helps. Being fit bolsters you overall capabilities in many ways BUT being unfit does not mean you cannot defend yourself and it doesn't mean that a person cannot actively commit crime.

that doesn't even make sense but it is a rather elitist thing to say. I get it.. you seemingly want "fitness" to be a very relevant and defining element within any self defense effort. I accept that is it, just not to the degree you seem to proclaim.

The biggest do not always win, the strongest do not always win, the smartest do not always win, the best equipped do not always win, the force with the most numbers do not always win. Those things "help" but that's it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

firearms are about more than merely defining the home against a burglar.
    If you want to limit the discussion to that.. then yes u are correct.

But with tactical rifles being so popular one might as well be able to use them properly.
    Thats simply not possible with a modicum of fitness.

As a minimum being able to sprint for at least some short distance over uneven terrain into cover... and then having enough fitness to get up from that quickly and do it again.
    Without getting so gassed that you can no longer safely control your weapon.

Whenever there is a carbine class there are always folks that are unsafe due to being physically weak..

You dont have to be a 23 year old infantryman... even as an old dude its still possible to have a modicum of fitness.
    Being cooped up with many of us are its harder of course...
    But still doable..
    Speaking of which I am heading out for a ruckmarch shortly.

10. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

I merely responded to what you said in post #7. You framed the comment, I didn't.

Brother.. the overwhelming majority of people 12-57 who do absolutely nothing in regards to a fitness regime- can probably run a AR just fine. Believe it or not, they can probably trot across the room and back as well. As I said earlier, working toward or maintaining good fitness is certainly a good thing in nearly every regard. I am certainly not against the idea of trying to maintain or improve fitness. I just do not see the world as being full of all these fragile invalids that you seem to perceive being among the citizenry.

As far as anyone actually using a "tactical rifle" in some sort of self defense action, it is probably the slimmest possibility among many possibilities. Popular or not, they are not often used in many citizen related armed conflicts. I have never learned about any particular weapon based on its popularity among the masses. That is just not how I personally make decisions.

ok.. so some people cant run a carbine class. You can develop plenty of competence with a carbine and never run a carbine course. I totally agree that in order to participate in some run and gun type of training, you need to have a certain level of fitness and stamina. The same couple be said about many activities, its no secret.

sure.. this is true. Still, a person does not have to meet or exceed your personal idea of fitness before they are worthy or capable enough to defend themselves with a firearm. It is not some special power afforded to only the most fit among us. Perhaps you don't feel that way but your "gun as a hobby" comment seemed to lean in that direction.

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I am still unsure what the point of this entire argument is .. so you argue that fitness is not a form of firearms training and safety??
    This was the point of the original post.. you coming up with "well what if X" examples doesn't contribute.

Do you somehow recommend people dont strive to be fitter in support of their firearms competence and handling???

Because that is what my original post was talking about as well as giving some tips on fitness strategies in support of your firearms handling based on my experience as a busy career adult
    How is that offensive to you?
    I was hoping to exchange fitness training tips with firearms in this thread.. this conversation however borders on a thread hijack...

I am not going to explain myself any further.

Get onboard with useful ideas that contribute to the topic on hand or make your own thread. ...(maybe called on "why i can shoot and move with firearms well, even though I am out of shape", or some such title)

12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was running till a couple weeks ago, quit because of muddy gravel roads and Coronavirus (gym closed)excuses, excuses:p
    I never really think about having to be in battle shape because I’m not a soldier or ever will be.
    When I go shoot it’s my time to relax, killing cans and my water bottle I bring after I finish it, .88 cent spray paint is fun to;)

Oldoutlaw, tazo2503 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  13. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

That is like asking if the air we breathe is a part of firearms training. There is a certain level of fitness which much be met in order to participate in any physical activity. I consider the question to be substantially overbroad.

If you take 3 guys that hate guns and one guy that likes gun and they all run 5 miles 3 times a week.. I don't think they are all participating in a form of firearms training. Generalized fitness training is simply fitness training.

I have already stated more than once that I stand in support of any persons ongoing efforts to maintain fitness and become more fit.

I was not offended but I will offer one issue I do politely disagree with:

I am 57 years old, in good health (10 lbs over weight) and take no meds. I am no runner, it has be decades since I ran anywhere but I managed to jog 2.2 miles on the heals of my nephew last Tuesday night. A few weekends ago I carried at least 30 60-65pound bundles of shingles to my neighbors roof for him. I do not feel any less fit than I did in my 30s or 40s.. and I do not do anything at all toward general fitness. I am just a normal guy who has never felt physically limited regarding anything I wanted to do. About the only thing I have ever done in my entire life toward "fitness" is try to eat sensibly and get plenty of rest at night. That's it, I simply live my life . I have no fitness regimen.. none, zero, nadda.

According to you: "Anyone who believes in self defense and does not make even a modicum of effort towards some degree of fitness merely has a gun hobby."

I politely disagree with the assertion. I am not really sure how you make such a broad assertion based on so little but I am not asking you to explain it.

To anyone reading this thread who feels like they may not be in great physical condition, I will say that mental grit is probably more of a critical element surrounding lawfully armed self defense, not how many pushup you can do. It is often said that only 20-31% of the walking around public actually exercise. I do not consider that statistic( if true) to be a good thing but it sure doesn't seem to be preventing many people from living physically productive lives.

To the OP.. I am not soliciting any further response. I was just addressing a couple of your closing remarks that ended with a question mark. Best regards to all.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    tazo2503, Rifling82 and bluez like this.
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sir, I appreciate your level headed response.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty and judgmental on my part.
    My sincere apologies.

tazo2503 likes this.