Firearm serial Number

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JayCody, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Should a serial number on a firearm be kept private? For instance posting a picture of your gun.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Most folks post so the s/n is not visible. Probably not TEOTWAWKI if you flash the s/n.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have wondered this myself. What harm could come from it?

4. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I was thinking someone could engrave my serial number on their firearm and use it in a crime.

5. MisterMcCool

You would still have yours.

6. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Could report it stolen.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

then they would have a new set of problems with along with the crime they committed. changing or falsifying a firearms SN is a federal crime.

and they can tell the difference in the real one and the fake one.

8. MisterMcCool

I could see that happening. :(

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

But then what's to stop chuckle heads from going to gun stores and gun shows and doing it.

Falsifying police reports is also a crime that gets prosecuted a lot. While most gun values don't rise to felony level false reporting generally does.

Its a lot more effort to scam using a online serial than it is to make a fake gunbroker/ebay type add. Criminals are lazy as hell with no work ethic. They aren't going to do the research needed to find you and come to your town spending tons of money in travel to scam you out of a 400$ gun...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Think the line from the song was "paranoia strikes deep".

Despite all the "couldas" I have heard on this, have never seen one single case of someone using a SN off the web to report a gun as stolen. Never.

11. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down :D

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I wouldn't publicly disclose a serial number for a gun any more than I would publicly disclose the VIN from my car. Why? Heck if I know. I just don't do it.

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've never seen Queen Elizabeth taking a dump. Never. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It is always prudent to keep identifying numbers private whether it a personal ID number or a property ID number.

14. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Paranoia stikes deep

Yes it was, and it was the song by Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth. I love that old song!

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I guess your not supposed to show it but I really never figured out why! If I was to guess, tracking and Big Brother are enough of a reason why I might not disclose it unless it was for sale. We really dont want to make it that easy do we, ive got nothing to hide (Today), but I live in NY so I never know what tomorrow will bring me.

Lastly, as much as I appreciate 99% of my 2A loving brothers and Sisters here on FTF, I rarely disclose ownership of any weapon to anyone I dont personally know (and trust) much less offer pictures. I havent given away all my info here but anyone with a brain could easily figure out who I am and where I live. That could be my tin hat talking but that kind of trust is earned not assumed.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just FWIW, I collect older Mossberg 22 rifles. Made long before 1968. Revealing a serial number on those is not an issue that will ever arise! :p

For the young folks- serial numbers were not required by law on rifles and shotguns until 1968.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"Engraving" a serial number is not that easy. More likely someone would report his gun was stolen and had your serial number. If you purchased through a dealer, there would be a paper trail to support your position

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

With a cursory google search, I was unable to find any mention of gun serial number fraud whatsoever from any reputable news media source. All I could find was tin foil hat wearing people on gun forums worrying about it. No actual stories of it happening.

I might find something if I looked harder but I don't feel like it.

I don't care if someone has my serial number. I bought my guns first hand from reputable dealers and have documentation to prove it.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

VIN numbers on a vehicle are more likely to be faked than SN's on firearms IMO.

i think people feel safer in not displaying them.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you are uncomfortable showing a serial number why would you do it? :rolleyes: