Fire, not as easy as it looks.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by GaryGlock, Nov 7, 2012.

1. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I went out tonight an tried to make a fire the first time with my magnesium fire starter. Went around and got some dried grass and twisted it up nicely, had some small tinder ready and I set to it. Well after bein out there for a half hour I figured there's always tomarrow. Behr Grills makes it look easy Haha! Practice practice..

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I shall try the bow method. Some day.

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Be sure to scrape enough magnesium into a flat burnable area. Then spark the pile

4. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I did it a few times. I got my tinder pile to catch a flame twice but couldn't build it up without it going out. I'm not sure If I choked it or gave it too much air.

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Save the lint from your laundry dryer filter. Those little piles catch fire quick.

6. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Like you said "practice". I lot of things aren't quite as easy as they look and that's why its so important to actually do them. :)

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Try more scrapings and the pocket lint noted by ASOTV

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Also start out w sticks pencil sized and bout 3" long. Once those are going good step it up a little bigger. Repeat process when its burning good.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Pine needles picked up off the ground and put in a pile make a great tinder. I am usually able to start a fire in one try with my magnesium and pine needles.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

You're not the only one, it can be frustrating as hell.

11. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Would just like to report after a few days of toying around in the back yard, I got it down pretty good. Without using lint ;)

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Fritos work great.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I tried Fritos. Couldn't get it to do anything but stink. Then I had no Fritos....

14. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I was not going outside with a fire starter and fritos. Glad you tried Haha.

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My BOB has a pencil sharpener, good for turning twigs into tinder. I'd also get a value pack of Bics.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Around here what usually works the best, once you get the tinder, is those very small, dead branches on pine trees. They are dry as hell, even on the tree, and they haven't been laying on the ground. Particularly if it is raining out, these are your best bet.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're having a hard time with it you can spit on the magnesium flakes. It burns hotter when wet.
    With a fire bow when you see smoke...keep going!

18. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I have it down pretty good with the magnesium and tinder * not cotton balls or lint that's so easy its cheating! * the next step is using a bow which I imagine will really step the difficulty up.

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's not really hard, there are a couple little tricks to it and it takes a lot of energy.

20. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I had my magnesium starter in my right hand, and with my left, turned the wall swtich on, and the fireplace started right up. What's the problem?