Fire Extortion

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PanBaccha, Dec 7, 2011.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Is this the America I pledged allegiance to as a kid in class?
    Is this the same one? What ever happened to those divine principles
    of "United we stand, divided we fall?" Are we united only when
    there is a war (a constant one I might add) with our flag-waving
    enthusiasm? Fire fighters -the bravest of the lot- has in some states
    become fire watchers refusing to aid families in their crisis:

Click video:
    [ame=http://www.5min.com/Video/Tennessee-Firefighters-Watch-as-Home-Burns-517222314]Tennessee Firefighters Watch as Home Burns Video[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

75 dollar annual fee............tax. I thought we already paid taxes for services such as police and fire. Extortion is definitely the correct word.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i just read about this last night, appalling! it happened last year also. makes you wonder where the line is drawn. taking care of business and doing the job they were hired to do or make money!

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yanno this is EXACTLY what the wife said "extortion"! My comment was "I thought that why we paid taxes?"

The communitys excuse is "we would have to raise taxes so we implemented the pay for spray"

Wife asked, What if there was someone in there?? What then? Stand by and watch people die!?!? Isnt there a crime there somewhere??

5. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

More and more, government paid civil servants have taken what were once noble professions and turned them into pay and benefit mills for tax takers.

Yeah, government needs money to run, but more and more, so much of our tax dollars don't provide the services the folks really want.

True Professionals would have fought that fire to save property, and dealt with the financial end later. Even if this were a Volunteer unit. Professionals are professionals, all the time.

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I saw this this morning , I would have gone to some *** . Even if they did not pay then just bill them after , Albeit it was a uno-wide and was prob totaled anyway its the point .

When I tried to save the guy burning to death in his car , I went thru about 3-4 extinguishers , I knew it was too late but I felt the need to keep trying till the FD showed up . This ******* refused to give me his, his words ? '' I aint wasting mine ! hes gone anyway '' ! That was the first time I lost it over a stranger dying like that , to be that close to them and you cant do anything about it will really mess you up .

On a side note : It should be federal law for all registered vehicles to carry a fire extinguisher , we have to on big rigs and boats , why not cars and trucks , you never know when it could save a life .

I have never donated to our volunteer rescue squad , but I have had to call them twice for my baby girl , one time was a transport to 30 miles away , all with no charge . I will be stroking them a check from now on .

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While this story is upsetting, step back a minute. No, that is NOT paid for by taxes. It is if you live in that town. Subjects of the story did NOT live in that town.

They live in an area that does not HAVE a fire dept. They do not fund a fire dept.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

So long as 0 (absolutely ZERO) county or state or federal dollars go to supporting the fire department, I don't see a problem with this policy. If any tax dollars come from outside the city like federal grants or something, then this policy is messed up and I would think people could take them to court over it.

It's a libertarian dream in fact. You say extortion, I say optional tax.

Watch the whole video towards the end they said the policy was to get involved if people are in danger.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This sucks, but by not opting in, they knew there was some risk. My solution would be, put out the fire and send them a bill for services rendered. It's horrible that they just stood there & let someone's home burn to the ground.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They sort of do that in my area. If we had a fire the dept would put it out or try to. Then they would look in the records after the fact when the emergency is done and if I donated $25 or more in the last year (they do fund drives twice a year, come by knocking on your door) the response is free, otherwise I have to pay a fee and I think it's like $500 or $1000. I'm not sure if their effectiveness or size of the property affects the fee.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I agree. It could have been treated like insurance, pay a little over time for something you hope you'll never need, or pay up that real pretty penny when you actually require the services.

But over all, I think taxes should go toward such a service.

Police aren't subsidized in the same way, and if they were, what would happen then?
    "I'm sorry that your being brutally raped in front if your children ma'am, but it says here on my computer that you've missed 3 payments. No, it really sucks that he intends to brutalize your children and the family pet when he gets done with you, but you should have paid for our protection."

How about paramedics?
    "damn that's a lot of blood! Well kids, this should tell you to remind your parents to pay up, other wise, we'll get to stand around with our thumbs up our butts one day and watch you bleed to death like little johnny here."

Now yes, the FD is supposed to get involved if someone is in danger, and in my hypothetical situations any decent person would help the victims, but y'all see how damn ridiculous it is?

I hate taxes, even though my income is so small I get all of it back at the end of the year, its still given to the government to use as they see (un) fit for the time that they have it,but there are some things that are necessary to collect tax to afford. Like FD's, PD's, EMT's, roads, and I'm running out of ideas here, but those 4 are services that need to be accessible to the community, and all should pitch in something, even a broke joke like me, which is why even though I'm exempt from most taxes I still give donations to the FD. Many of you know I don't care for my local PD, so I don't give to them at all. I figure if I give them reason to pull me, they'll probably rob me anyway so what's the point?

I'm done with my rant now. Ignore me and move on with your lives.

12. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

If they wasted the fuel driving out there , letting the trucks idle , geared up , the tanker was prob full anyway , what more would it have cost them to hook the hose up ? They could have called it training . My fd , ems ect ect taxes are paid by our property taxes , no way around it , no excuse either , I have a pond in front of my house they can suck out of .
    Let me get my guns, pictures , family and dogs out and let the MFer burn , its over insured :D

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I agree with c3shooter. For many many years on the farm we paid for the fire number that was posted by our mail box. Then the fire dept started adding their tax onto our property taxes(it was higher than paying for the fire number). Now where I live about 40% of my property taxes is for fire protection. And yes the fire fire dept here wastes a huge amount of money.

14. bkt

bkt New Member

*shrug* You live where you choose to live. If your locale says "pay the monthly or quarterly bill to the FD to get service", then pay it. If you don't like that system, move to an area where the FD is paid for through municipal taxes. But as tragic as losing a home and all your possessions to fire is, don't expect anyone to work or endanger themselves on your behalf for free.

15. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Wow. I am truly surprised by the outcry over this. A homeowner, who knew the policy of the city fire department has her trailer burn. I read a few more accounts of this fire and picked up some interesting information. The owner knew of the policy, but decided not to pay it because "we didn't think we would have a fire". They were not inside the jurisdiction of the fire department in question. They pay absolutely no taxes to fund the department that responded. They paid absolutely no subscription to the department that responded. Some cities in that area will provide fire suppression to those who have not subscribed for a payment of $2200 upfront before they will spray water, with an additional fee per hour thereafter. A poor form of fire protection, for sure, but that is what they have and they know about it.

I can't believe that the peeps here are calling the firefighters bums for only doing what the city policy is. It costs us a few thousand dollars just to outfit one firefighter with personal protective gear. A used 2010 tanker we bought last summer was over 200K. It takes a lot of money just to be able to respond to common emergencies and much more when you get into technical rescue and hazmat. TN seems to be set up much different than what I am accustomed to for fire protection. Many of the KS departments are fire districts that are funded by property taxes assessed by mils to all owners in the district. Almost all KS departments have mutual aid agreements with other departments to give and receive help from them. It is up to the people in each area to decide what level of protection they want and whether they will fund it. Until a few years ago the city of South Fulton would not respond outside city limits at all. They then developed the opt-in plan for those who wanted it. You can say that the current situation is better than it was before.

What next? Do we want the insurance company that they didn't have a policy with buy them a new trailer?

16. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Its my undersyanding that the fire dept only gets paid by the city with taxes so why should the people outside of the city get the dept for free. The fee is reasonable only if the dept dosent recive any funding from the federal government and only the city. It is only fair that if you dont pay for there service that they dont service you unless someone ( a living creature) is in danger. I advise either paying the fee or starting local volunteer fire departments for the area. That is what we do in Pa and i am a member of one. Also i am expressing an opinion not saying anyone else is wrong.

17. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I don't even know were to start on this one.

Attached Files:

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

with a bulldozer. after the flames die down.

19. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Let's stop calling it a fee. It's a tax. As far as people getting services without paying then let's stop letting kids go to school whose parents are living in government paid housing. Those people don't pay taxes they live for free and they collect benefits from those of us who do pay. Police fire and medical all try there best to save these people and their belongings. Yet they don't pay anything for it. As far as cost goes, those firemen are being paid whether they put out a fire or sit on their butts watching TV. The equipment has already been purchased. I'd sooner see the money go to firefighting rather than medical services trying to stop some drug dealing gang banger from bleeding to death on the sidewalk.

Fee, license and permit all = tax.

20. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

The is a Fd in one area of our county , they can not respond to anything that would make them cross the bridge due to it not being rated anymore to hold the trucks , so they have to send out a engine from 10-15 miles away . The fd is maybe 1/4 mile from the bridge but if there is any emergency they cant cross it .
    Thats the biggest pile of Bs I have ever seen