Fire building, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by bizy, May 16, 2011.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I have an idea about building a fire when everything is damp. Suppose I take rag of sorts and put just a little diesel fuel on it. Not dripping wet but enough to make it lite fast when in contact with a fire or spark. Roll it up in a 1" X 4" long PVC pipe with caps on both ends. Dip both ends in candle wax so it will be sealed but can be easly be opened. Would it be easy to start a fire? You wouldn't need to use the whole thing, but just tear off enough to start a fire..

What do you think?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Why not take the document shredder pieces and put them in PVC. They will store a lot easier (weight and not a possible "bomb" waiting to go off)

3. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Here's another idea:

Take a piece of cardboard about 2" wide by 24" long, roll it up as tight as you can and tie a piece of string (or wire) around it. Then take your candle wax and pour over the entire thing and let it soak in.

No worry about getting diesel everywhere, they'll light easily with a match, and they burn for about 30 minutes.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What is the point? You can always find something dry to light a fire.....for camping make some woodshaving & wax firestarters w/egg boxes, and put in ziploc bags.

6. user4

user4 New Member

Ever eat Fritos? They make GREAT fire starters and hold a flame nicely.

7. Seven

Seven New Member

Mecco firestarter squares burn when they're wet.
    Your local mom n' pop hardware store should have them for about $3
    for a box of 24 approx. 2" x 2" squares.

[​IMG]

I cut them in half and store them in the little jewelry size zip baggies.

[​IMG]

Diesel contains oil.
    Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable starting a campfire with a diesel
    soaked rag if there was a chance of a rainstorm blowing up.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I use the little firestarter cubes and store them in a ziplock. I carry some in my go-bag, some in each vehicle, some in my hunting fanny pack and I also carry one of those magnesium/flint/steel fire starters. I have never had to use any of them in probably 20 years but they never go bad so that is no problem. In that 20 years I have had to start fires many times, just never had to resort to a "cheater" method like the cubes.

Actually I have used the magnesium/flint/steel tool to start fires but only because it is more reliable than a match that has been rattling around in my truck or go-bag for God knows how long. Ask me how I know! I don't smoke so I don't go through matches nor do I have a lighter.

You can make your own if you want, but why?

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Potassium permanganate and glycerin will catch wet leaves and damp sticks on fire easily. Both are available online cheaply and both are legal to own - no hassles buying them.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Check your local milsurp store for ration heating tablets. Known as Trioxane, each bar (pale pruple/blue solid about size of small candy bar) is a solid fuel. Sort of like hard gasoline. On its own, will boil a canteen cup of water, 1/3 of a bar will heat a can of beanie weenies. Flame is barely visible, and HOT. I use them for never fail fire starters.

11. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

if I'm hiking and going to camp that night I just take some wet stuff early in the morning and stuff it into any dry pocket i have and it's usually dry enough to start fires. The best way i've found is to take twine (like fiberous) soak it in candle wax and put it into a pill bottle. It burns for a while and will put out a big enough flame to help start fires easily.

12. camiller

camiller New Member

Boy Scout Fieldbook suggested that, only the rolled up cardboard was placed in an empty tuna can as an ersatz replacement for a sterno can. The empty tuna can would also help retain the wax as it cooled.

13. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

cottonballs saturated in petrolium jelly wrapped in aluminum foil tear open the foil pulla small amount of the cotton through the tear light like a candle uyou can carry several in a pack very light weight and one will burn for several minutes.

14. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Yep, these are one of my favorites. Although i have been known to use a highway flare to start camp fires when there wasn't any small tender around to get going first and the larger wood was all wet after days of rain. :D

15. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

ya no offense but when I was a scout I found the hand book to be pretty much useless on somethings such as fire making. The newer version actually has more useful info in it.

16. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

They have little 'stoves' made for them (they're shaped like this... [____] and you put the bar in the bottom and pot on top). When they're folded up (sides will fold in with bar in place) they're about the size of a Sucrets <sp> box.

If you lay a pop can on it's side over the flame where the pot should be, it will melt the can. Just sayin' :D

17. camiller

camiller New Member

No offense taken, but are we talking about the handbook or the fieldbook?

18. morrisammo

morrisammo New Member

To much stuff to carry. all the little nice to have things, will fill up your Ruck,,

matches are good,, but have a few BIC lighters too,

start fires the old Boy scout way,, small tinder,, working up,, and you can still get a fire going,,, in texas the cedar trees,, are very flamable,, and they grow like weeds,

I'm sure you can find a plant like that,, if you look it up, someplace,, and you don't have to carry it.

Jim

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I have a box of wooden matches and some paper towles vacume sealed in a Food Saver bag, that I carry in my hunting pack. I always figured if I got wet or lost it would be enough to start a fire.

This year I'm going to make something like that, that can go in a Sucrets can, in my pocket. Some times I drop my pack off under a bush or something and come back to it, when I want to move quicker.

20. morrisammo

morrisammo New Member

I did 20Yrs in the Army, I always had the stuff in my pockets,
    Bic lighters,, (I don't smoke), 550 cord, gerbertool, a small maglight, a pen and notebook.

In my ruck, I had 2each Ponchoes, with 12 feet of 550 cord on every eyelet. yes that is alot of rope! when the rain comes,, houchman,, !!!

a poncho liner, (the whooobie) a change of cloths, socks,, that stuff in a dry bag, , wet weather gear, top and pants! don't forget the paints! canteen,, a canteen cup,

I got stuck, in a bunch of places, having that stuff, at the very least,, is a good idea,

jim