fire and meat, your weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by matt g, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

What is your weapon of choice when it comes to grilling?

I have a high dollar gas grill, but lately, I find myself using a cheap Walmart BBQ exclusively. I use mesquite lump charcoal in it. The flavor that the mesquite gives food is second to none.

2. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Have the monster gasser that does the majority of the work 'cause im too lazy most times to go the charcoal route. But the charcoal is my favorite and if I have time that is what I use with the horizontal smoker/ grill.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, about 86% of our member base is from Texas, so I am about to get flammed out of my tree. :rolleyes:

BUT.....

I bought a Lynx gas grill with the 1800 degree Infrared side burner like they use in all the top steakhouses like the Metropolitan Bar and Grill & Bob's Steak and Chops.

When I grill, I want a Porterhouse and my woman wants a Filet Mignon baseball steak.

We have a local butcher that cuts a MEAN piece of meat, for a very reasonable charge, so I usually make a point of stopping there in my daily travels.

Now, I have added some mesquite brickets to the normal gas section for grilling after the initial high temp sear on the IR grill.

We have been very happy with the performance of the grill and the quality of the finished product, but it definitely takes some looking after or you will ruin a piece a meat in a moments notice.... LOL

JD

4. matt g

I ran gas for years and when I was feeling super lazy, would run to a steakhouse. Shortly after I swapped over to the mesquite lump, I tossed a few 2" thick Porterhouses on the BBQ, with a little sea salt on them. I have never seen my wife devour a steak like that ever. When she was done, she commented that it was the best steak she had eaten in her life.

The mesquite lump burns very hot and sears really well. You have to use lump though and not briquettes, as briquettes are mostly junk wood and fillers with a tiny amount of cured mesquite in them. The cookability that comes out of the lump is a night and day difference over briquettes. You don't have quite the heat control that you do with gas, but you do have the heat and you don't have to worry about flare ups. The flavor that comes out of them is really just a nice byproduct of a superior charcoal.

The BBQ that I use was here at the house when we moved in. It's a really cheap Walmart POS. One of these: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8154164

The charcoal that I run is Lazzari Mesquite charcoal in the 20# bag: http://www.lazzari.com/retail_mesquite_lump_charcoal.html It runs about $12/bag around here.

If you've got a few bucks and some nice weather any time soon, you should give it a shot. $30 for the grill and charcoal, plus another $10 for a six pack of something tasty is money well spent for a nice afternoon on the patio followed by a good piece of meat.

Follow the same times that you would with gas and you'll be good. I run about 7 1/2 to 8 minutes per side on a steak for rare to medium rare. Chicken leg quarters go on for 45 minutes to an hour and fish runs about the same as steak, maybe a little less.

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Porterhouse?? Filet Mignon?? Chicken?? Fish?? :confused:

BBQ is Pork.... :D

Hmmm, can I get flamed on a post about grilling?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. bkt

bkt New Member

Charcoal every time. Mesquite lump usually.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Lots of wood.

To me, cooking over the campfire is better than any commercial grill out there. There's just something about it.

I like to grill Trout, Salmon, Deer, and my favorite which is Moose (yum).

If I don't have those available, I certainly won't mind grilling up a nice store-bought sirloin, though.

8. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I am with you on that point. I use wood. I split it and season it, then cook with it. The wife loves the gas grill because it is quicker. I would rather use the good ole lodge cast Iron pans before I use the gas grill.

9. matt g

Wood sucks. Without the charring process, woods are left with a lot of resin that can leave a horribly bitter taste on the food. The only woods that I'll cook meats over are acacia and white oak. Smoking is best done over hickory, but good, solid hickory rounds are hard to come by in these parts.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Like Hank Hill says " Tase the food not the fuel"

I have a Charbroil gas grill with one side burner and a roterssiorie thingy on it.

I do everything on it in the spring and summer and fall.

I even put my turkey on that bad boy.

The best Grill I ever had was a little red one with a smoke stack called Lil Smokie. I would take old oak pallets and start a small fire on a 2x2' chunk of tin let it burn down to coals then put it in the grill and throw a steak or two on (Two 12oz t-bone or serloin was all it would hold) Season with Kosher salt fresh cracked pepper and worchestershire. OMG cook them till they were just medimum and they would melt in your mouth.

11. user4

user4 New Member

Gas is great for control, but charcoal/mesquite is for the artist who loves food. I have an Asian friend who has mastered the art of cooking in a fire pit. I'm not talking what you did in boy scouts, this guy can cook a meal in a fire pit better than most people could in a professional fire grill. It's ironic, because his parents own a Chinese restaurant with the worst Chinese food I have ever had.

12. azalps

azalps New Member

I have a cooker called The Big Green Egg. Ceramic, about 3ft tall x 2t wide. Use only lump charcoal. You can hardly ruin a piece of meat on it.

13. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

ive dot a cheapy 30 dollar grill i bought from wally world that im in love with. it can do every thing but rottiserie. it can cook upto i think a 16 lb turkey in it, steam seafood and veggies, smoke, and grill or sear a mean steak. that was my primary means of cookin in the summer. im gunna fire her up on the 16th for my b-day and cook some rabbit or squirrel if i can kill some, if not im puttin a fat steak in her. i use my grill to cook the whole meal, meat, potatoes and i make an incredible onion and jalepeno mix that i cook in foil for the extra flavour...mmmmm....damn now im hungry!!! thanks guys

14. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

[​IMG]

Ours is red and we got her for free.

Charcoal is the best I love it.

Our neighbor was throwing it away and we asked if we could have it. They said yeah and we 'hooked' it up.

People throw away the weirdiest things around here.

Hell we got a FULL BAR SET from the trash...we had to make sure with the owners that they were actually throwing that away.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have seen those for sale at the local butcher. The guy swears by it and says it's the best surface to grill on that he has ever come across.

I assume you like yours - what's the average from start to done and eating time for a piece of beef?

Thanks,

JD

16. matt g

Patience, grasshopper, patience. Great things come to those who wait.

I'm telling you JD, the only difference between the mesquite and gas is the flavor and the mesquite takes about 30 minutes to ash out.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

BBQ is slow cooked, no matter the meat. I have found nothing better than slow cooking and smoking (apple, cherry or hickory) any cut of meat. A great friend (and gun lover) of mine graduated top of his class at possibly the best culinary arts school in the US got pissed at me because I made him wait 3-1/2 hours for a burger, just a burger. I slow cooked and smoked the mutha just to make a point. While still angry, he admitted it was the best burger he had ever eaten. Sure, I coulda had it cooked in 4-6 minutes, but so can Wendy's.

I am a machinist, and I have never made my own gun (potato guns don't count), but I am building my own smoker even though I have 2 other smokers. mmmm....:cool:

18. matt g

I'm a welder by trade. I've always wanted to build my own smokehouse. I've got some property that is plagued by hogs. It would be nice to go knock off a few yearling piglets and smoke 'em up for a few days, then hold a kegger.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Give me an invite, and I'll be there! Heck, I'll kill, dress and smoke the dang hog for ya, and bring my own beer!!! :D

20. matt g

Hope you don't mind waiting for a while. I'm out of work and I'm sure that you're familiar with what steel and aluminum prices are doing these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.