Fiocchi or Wolf???

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by MGH, Mar 16, 2009.

1. MGH

MGH New Member

I own a Glock 23 and wanted to buy cheap bulk Fiocchi or Wolf fmj before the pice goes up again.:rolleyes:
    I've never shot either brand in my gun.

Does anyone know which is better with my Glock?

2. ladyM

ladyM New Member

YES-- Iam certainly no expert but have had quite a bit of experience the last couple of days with defective firearms. The Foicchi ammo is what I used today to test fire my brand new model 19 Glock.
    I fired approximately 500rounds today and the Glock ate it all without so
    much as a hiccup. The accuracy was wonderful so long as a shooter that knew what he was doing shot the Glock !
    All this comes after I purchased a defective firearm for my CCW class.
    I give a thumbs up for the Fiocchi ! NO - the defective firearm was NOT a Glock..........the defective gun has been returned after much consternation !:eek:

3. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

I find Fiochi to be of better quality and performance. Shoots a little cleaner too.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Fiochi. I've shot a few boxes of it and it has been reliable and accurate, plus it has a brass case. I never have and never will allow any wolf in my firearms. The steel cases are worthless for reloading.

5. Glockanista

Glockanista New Member

Since I dont reload, I have used both without issue. I buy what ever I can find, which is a nice advantage with Glock pistols, they are not very ammo sensitive. :)

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Wolf burns dirtier than a dump fire, and you should avoid it at all costs. I've shot 50 rounds of the crap, and won't do it again.

7. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

IMHO Fiocchi is as good as any brand out there. Wolf, not so much. At Midwayusa.com you can often get Magtech on sale lower than Fiocchi.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Fiocchi is good stuff. I have never shot Wolf in any of my firearms. I don't like the idea of steel cases, soft steel or not.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Wolf is the greatest ammunition manufactured today. I hear the Secret Service uses it.

Okay, Fiocchi is superior, but also costs more. If you're doing ALOT of shooting, and enjoy cleaning your gun, you can't beat the Russian stuff.

10. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Shhhhh....that was supposed to be a secret :cool:

+ 1 for Fiocchi ammo.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Fiocchi is superior and cleaner when fired and reloadable, it's good chit.

Jack

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've always found Fiocchi to be loaded on the hot side as well - which is a bonus. I like their .45 FMJ for pin shoots...

13. Viking

Viking Active Member

I would be cautious about using Wolf considering the problem a friend had with 44 mag Wolf ammo in his Taurus Tracker. He had to knock the spent casings out of the cylinders, he has not had any problems with brass cases or Blazer aluminum cases. I have also read of someone else having the Wolf steel cases split. I have reloaded Fiocchi 40 S&W brass and it seems to be very good quality.

14. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member

glad to here that ammo is good stuff as I just bought a case of it :)

15. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

James Yeager has used lots of Wolf in his training classes and likes it. I've fired about 500 rounds of it in .45 ACP and found it accurate and reliable. It dirties the gun but not as much as Remington in my experience. The wolf was milder in recoil than Winchester. But...

A gunsmith told me that steel cases are very hard on extractors. A shooter told me the steel cases damaged his gun's feed ramp. These are good reasons to play it safe and use brass.
    Even if you don't reload, you can give the empties to a friend who does and watch his eyes light up.

16. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Fiocchi is better ammo. It's loaded a little hotter than most and definitely hotter than Wolf. That said, I like Wolf too, depending on the price. Some gun manufacturers say that steel cases will damage their extractors. I haven't had that problem yet. Besides all that, I reload the steel cases as well. One in fifty will crack lengthwise, but that's easy to see. Buy what you can afford and then reload what you shot.

Dave

17. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

Fiocchi.

They won't even allow Wolf ammo at my indoor range in Greensboro. Get caught shooting it and you "lose your range priviledges."

18. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Probably because they want to collect and sell or reload the empty casings. Wolf ammo is usually a little milder load than most. You can feel the difference in recoil.

Dave

19. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Just went through about 1000 rounds of Wolf 9mm in a Glock 19. The steel cases dug into my polymer magazine follower. The stuff dirtied everything up. I had at least 6 failures to fire, some feed problems and one primer that went poof and blew out its rear.
    Where can I get more of this stuff ?

20. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

There have been numerous threads floating on the forum regarding the steel case used in wolf ammo. Most reliable sources have dispelled the myth that there is a risk of damaging the extractor. The real problem seems to be that the steel casing doesn't fully expand to seal against the chamber wall, this allows hot gases to escape and foul the chamber which may cause problems on later shots especially if brass casings are used without a thorough cleaning. Most agree that Wolf is perfectly safe to use it just requires a more diligent maintenance and cleaning regimen between shooting sessions.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010