Finnish Mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Greg_r, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

Need some help here. I need to make an offer on a Finnish Mosin rifle. I know absolutely nothing about it, or Finnish Mosins for that matter. Except that they are supposed to e the cream of the Mosins. I guess the barrel to be about 30 inches and it has a clean bore and hexagon receiver. It's a very clean rifle, all numbers match. It does have an import stamp.

I have looked online and I have seen these for $150 to $400. What would be a good guesstimate on price. I know an unfair question with no more info than I have.

The rifle belongs to the daughters boyfriend. I an thinking $100 plus enough parts for him to build a complete AR15 upper in either 300 BLK or 5.56 as I know he wants the funds to buy one. Maybe $300 If he dissent want the parts.

I want to be fair. If I spend a few dollars too much I don't really mind, but I don't want to wrong either him or myself. Thanks!

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Not enough information. There are all kinds of variations of "Finnish" Mosin-Nagant rifles.

Most any decent Finn, bolt matching, unmolested (refinished), would be worth $300.00. Some of them a lot more.

Photos would help a lot.

phideaux likes this.

3. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

I know asking for info like this is a tall order without pictures and full info. I just don't have it. I do know it shoots well. Very accurate. And very clean. Problem is I won't be home until Friday evening. If I don't jump I'm sure he will sell it before then.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy it if the conditions mentioned above hold up. You will not take a whipping and might be getting a steal. I will tell you I don't have a Finn I would sell for $300.00.

The Finns are nice, I have a few, stashed back and enjoy them very much. Buy it, get some pics and we will help you figure out what you have. Good Luck! Go score one for the team.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What he said up there- and if he is daughter's BF, he is part way to being family anywho.

6. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I've had some [SA] marked Mosins.
    The first was a arsnel matched 1897 Tula with about 2 Inch counterbore that with 147gr surplus ammo could get 3 out of 5 shots on a paper plate at 100 yds (bore was shiny and sharp)

Then a Vkt 43 marked 91 that was pretty decent, but not great (bore loked sharp n shiny)

A SA marked 1940, 91/30 mismatched that would had had a hard time hitting a coffee can at 100 yds (bore clean but not sharp)

The best shooter was not the brightest or best nor was it collector grade, itd been hard put to say it was
    This GUNSMITH SPECIAL hex Tula 91 w (P-27 'S' marked barrel looked like it'd been dragged every day of the winter war to the end the continuation war. But it can put Russian Wolf 205 gr soft point in 2.8" group at 100 yds. (Rifling was sharp but bore was dark)

I'd say Grab some assorted ammo and try shooting it first to see if its a keeper.
    If it shoots 2" or better its worth $200 to me.
    Most those old rifles can be wicked accurate but bear in mind some have buggered muzzles crown and or most likely the first 2 inches of cleaning rod sawed bore at the muzzle, can be cleard up with some counterboring to make a decent shooting rifle.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    MisterMcCool likes this.