Finished! Thanks for the help guys

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BodySnatcher, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

ForumRunner_20130410_235831.jpg
    That gold was a pain in the &@#%, finally figured that I had to float it off with rubbing alcohol.

ForumRunner_20130410_235856.jpg
    Complete! Including the kitchen sink!

ForumRunner_20130410_235917.jpg
    Out on the range!

ForumRunner_20130410_235942.jpg
    First five shots! Had a clover leaf going until spotter told me, then I got wonky.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Congrats. Looking good, enjoy.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

NICE STICK! specx plz!

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you get a min, give us some nice closeup shots plz!

5. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

DD LPK
    Quentin Defense USArmy billet lower
    Magpul ACS stock
    Spikes H2 buffer
    Vltor upper MUR
    WOA 20" SS 1:7 barrel
    Les Baer bolt carrier/WOA supplied bolt
    Troy VTAC 15" rail
    BCM gas block
    Troy battlesights
    JP break

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very nice!

Interesting... I also have a QD US Army Edition lower with ACS. Really like their billet receivers.

7. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I don't know how hard it was to paint the logo gold but it looks really sweet.

8. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

The rollmark in gold was difficult. First I tried the regular 'fill and wipe.'
    That smeared it everywhere leaving the 18k gold flake dull and, well, just looking like crap.

So I double checked the packaging, and noticed that clean up was suggested with alcohol (rubbing).

So I tried that and all it did was thin the paint. Next I tried a light coat of alcohol and a dry paper towel to 'lift' off the gold. Bingo!

I still have some of the 18k flakes outside the rollmark, they are very small, but I'll get back to it. I am having too much fun shooting it!

Next up will be a PDW with the Marines rollmark or maybe Navy in silver and gold.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Get yourself some nice matchgrade ammo, some glass, and make itty bitty holes in targets! That WOA barrel is beggin, no pleading for some 69gr / 75 gr match grade made grade stuff! Cloverleafs at 100 yards! Gogogo!

10. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I reload. Currently investigating Hornady 75gr and SMK 77gr loads with varget, cfe223, blc2, and a couple others.

With what I have learned and shot so far, I can put rounds on a man-sized target at 600 yards with open sights @50% of the time. So its begging for some glass. Should be a shooter IF (and its a big if) I do my part.

11. highpowerguy

highpowerguy New Member

I run n-540 and RL-15 I at 600 yards in that bullet weight I have never been able to get the velocities out of varget that everyone else claims to get. Cfe 223 has preformed great with 55's but I'm not sure its slow enough for 77's. Also aa-2520 will kick em out pretty fast but if you live somewhere that gets real hot you will have to work up a summer load and a winter load. My white oak will shoot a 3/4 inch group at 200 with RL-15 and a 77gr match king. I'm not sure what the policy is on posting load data but if you are interested in the recipe send me a private message.

12. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Thanks. I was feeling lucky to get the Varget and CFE223. I'm keeping an eye out for the RL-15.

I would very much appreciate some recipies.