Finished refinishing stock and forend*PICS*

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sbninja, Feb 16, 2011.

1. sbninja

sbninja New Member

I'm finshished refinishing my stock and forend on my Mossberg 590A1. There was a wood "Bantam" stock(painted black) and a synthetic forend(black) before.

I wanted a change, so I stripped the stock and refinished it. I also ordered a new wood fore end from Havlin sales. and finished it the same color. What do you think? I kinda like the old school look ;)

Stripped wood using spray on stripper - light sanding - used medium brown and light brown leather dye (alcohol based) then boiled linseed oil - and a couple coats of pure carnuba wax.

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That turned out nice!! Who would have believed such beauty would be revealed? Nice work.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Looks old school cool now. :cool:

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Very nice, you did a good job man, thats a sweet shotty.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That looks fantastic. Nice job!

6. SilenceDogood

SilenceDogood New Member

Very nice. I love the old school look. May I suggest throwing a OD or tan GI sling on it? I think it would look great.

Your Humble Servant,

SILENCE DOGOOD

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

I think that looks fantastic. Love the classic look that wood gives. No it isnt the latest tacticool shotgun, but it looks sweet to me. Ya did a great job.

Plus I also dig how the color on the stock shows loke it is well used and cared for.

8. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Thank's all! I hadn't considered changing the sling color - I like that idea. Which is why , this morning, I ordered some OD Cordura 1" webbing;) I think the "cordura" is not as "shiney" as ballistic nylon. I'll post more pics with the new sling.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That looks just awesome. I love the old wood look as well. You ordered your sling to quicly as I was gonna suggest a tanned leather sling with buckes. I do want to see the pics of the new sling, so don't forget to post them. :)

10. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Thank's,
    All is not lost! The webbing material I bought is inexpensive. I will definitely post photos. A leather sling with buckles, is not out of the question;) If you could post some pics of a sling like your suggesting, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. jca1

jca1 New Member

Outstanding job! Looks great!

12. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Very, very nice. Always love the look of wood on a long gun.

13. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

You did a very good job on this one! I really like the way it turned out! I wouldn't mind having a 590 with a stock like that, heat shield, and bayonet lug...sort of like a modernized trench gun.

14. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Fantastic job. Looks awesome!

15. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Hmmm....heatshield;)

16. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Well, the nylon "cordura" webbing came in......I don't like it:(. It's too thin(thickness), and not wide enough at 1".

So I ordered some heavy weight cotton webbing;) 1-1/4" wide, with some black metal sling slides. I think this might be it;) Oh, and in Dark Olive.

17. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Update**

The sling material came in, I like it. I also took ta1588's idea , and orderd a Mossberg heatshield-i like this too;) Took a bit of modifying, but worked out good. I did, however, find out (too late) that Aimpro sells a heatshield for the Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel.:(

I also am waiting for a new choate mag extension.;)

[​IMG]

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Like Don said, That's Old School Kool! [​IMG]

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I dig the heat shield and sling. Nice choice.