Finished my mosin Nagant 1944 91/30 but still need advice

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Dearhunter, May 3, 2014.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I completed cleaning off the cosmoline, striped the stock down to the wood, and hand rubbed it with Boiled Linseed oil 4 coats. came out nice.
    I took all metal parts completely apart and cleaned with mineral spirits, (did not punch out the extractor) used Kroil on all parts of metal.
    After putting it back together, the bolt works good ONCE it is full open. But when opening it seems to bind at the last half inch of bolt movement upward, after I pass that point all is fine.

Even the bayonet fits and locks/unlocks in place nicely.

Any have advice on what is taking place.
    Thanks in advance.

I have attached photos.

Attached Files:

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It's a Mosin. That's how it rolls. The bolt handle is short, and it likes a good palm heel strike. Good job getting it ready.

PS. If in doubt, open the action, then forward the bolt right to the point where it starts meeting resistance. Now pull the trigger. The bolt will turn and snap into the fully locked position. You are gtg.

Last edited: May 3, 2014

3. Egreen96

Egreen96 New Member

Mosin bolts are notoriously hard to operate. I've had to kick mine open from time to time especially with steel cased ammo. That being said it's still one heck of a deal for $100;)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The bolt on my 91/30 works perfectly. I have never had to strike the bolt with anything to get it open. I was very picky when I bought my 91/30. It has a hex receiver and all the serial numbers match. The bolt was easy to cycle when it was caked in cosmoline. It took about a year to find a 91/30 I would take home at any price. There is no telling how many cases of rifles I went through before I found a suitable rifle.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They do get better as they wear in, but old joke about accessories for a M/N is that you should have a chunk of 2x4 to beat the bolt open.

6. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

One of the great wonders of the world. The Mosin Sticky Bolt syndrome....

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It was inherited by the AK. Ever wonder why the bolt carrier decides to stay back sometimes with no bolt catch?

8. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

As was mentioned earlier, you need to invest in a 2x4 if you want to open your bolt :p

But seriously, I found this video on YT. Not sure if it works or not, but you could give it a try. My friends bolt was very very sticky. I thought it was stuck until he told me to just be really rough with it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubxS4C-_xZ0[/ame]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

90% of sticky bolt issues is just a lot of dried hardened cosmoline in the bolt lugs. i had that issue on my now pink mosin. i filled a tube big enough to hold the reciever filled up the the tube with enough hoppes 9 to submerge the chamber into the throat. i let it sit for a week and its silky smooth now. you have to get in there with qtips patches and nylon shotgun brushes every day or two to remove the cosmo as it softens and disolves.

i did that to my sniper version and the bolt opens and closes like a tuned winchester pre-64

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Smack it like a Russian mail-order bride.

A phrase I heard somewhere related to a sticky Mosin bolt.

And no I don't advocate beating wives of any persuasion.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Doc the poor taste alarms just went off at the NSA.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I already have my own assigned drone.