Finished my first lower build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ScottA, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Not as difficult as I thought it would be. The only problems that stood out was deciphering which springs go where. The diagram provided by DD wasn't exactly the most detailed.

I had to use one of the detent springs from the DD lower kit when I lost one from my Plum Crazy that I sold. I ordered a replacement from Midway. A little voice told me to order extras. Glad I did. Bent the heck out of the rear detent spring when putting the buffer tube on.

I'm not confident I got the castle nut tight. The wrench I have had problems getting around the sling swivel.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice looking rifle!!! Congrats on the build.

Did you build the upper or buy one? If you bought one, I suggest building that as well next time. If you can build the lower, you can build the upper. Easy, peasy, lemon squeazy.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice to hear another success story, Scott! Yeah, we all have mangled or lost a small part like that. It was wise to buy spares ahead of time. Maybe you can get a friend to hold the rifle while you tighten the castle nut? For that last cinch I usually position the wrench so it's close to the pistol grip which gives me a strong position. And once you're sure it's tight you can stake the end plate.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's a PSA upper. I'm feeling pretty confident about doing an upper build next time. A "down the road" is to build a long-barrel, varmint/target upper. Or maybe a 300 Blackout.