Finished it. . .finally.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by diggsbakes, Jul 12, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

So this one has a story that gives me plenty of excuses of why it took so long in order to get it ready to go. I'll make it short.

This Remington 700 started out as a .308. I ordered the XHR LH version initially, so I'd have a great stock, barrel all I'd need was the optics and I'd be good to go. Well, the store ordered the wrong rifle, a basic 700 LH with the SPS stock. They refunded me the difference, I took it home, looked for a nicer lefty stock, couldn't find one I liked under $700.

In the mean time I came across a lightly used McMillan long action that is RH, but with an ambidextrous cheek weld and feels GREAT for cheap! (this gun now wears it)

So now I had a long action stock I liked and a short action Remy. :confused: All the while I'm also thinking that I wanted a bigger caliber. (already had a .308) So what to do.

I figured since the shop screwed up the first order they owed me one, so I took it back and told them I wanted a RH 700 in .300 Win Mag. They ordered it and I got the gun. . . only to break off the trigger while adjusting it the first night of ownership! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! You should see how paper thin that piece of metal is. It broke off right next to the adjustment screw. I'll post a pic.

So it got sent off to one of the Remington Armour's in Tulsa, OK: SPORTS WORLD AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!

Total turn around time was 10 WEEKS!!! For a freaking trigger. I coulda done it myself in an hour (probably less). All the while I had to keep calling and calling and was given excuse after excuse. They even once said that Remington was "out" of triggers for their 700s??? I proceeded to tell them what a joke they were and that I would be letting people know. Which I am. The gun was delivered the 10th week with noticeable scratch marks on the floor-plate, but I was just happy to have my gun. I may still contact Remington and send them pictures. Remington did apologize for their incompetence and said there have been many recent complaints. Hopefully they will act upon them?

So I now have the gun, but the front action screw no longer engaged the threads. So yet another trip to Fastenal. . . they were able to order me in a 1/4 - 28 machine screw that works, but does not have the same low profile head that the original Remington screw did. Oh well. I worked.

So I mounted up my stock, got a killer deal on a Nikon Monarch 2.5 - 10 x 42mm scope, hooked up to Burris dovetail mounts and rings and it looks like the following picture. :)

2. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here she is!

Attached Files:

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here's the broken trigger. I managed to keep it. I may have been a little rough with it, (couple of beers???) but should be more durable than this. In addition to the trigger. The chamber and barrel are already showing signs of rust. I keep wiping it off with a properly oiled rag, but it reappears every week or so. I haven't shot it yet, so that will tell if the gun is worth it's quirks, but so far I am skeptical at best for my outlook towards another Remington purchase.

I'd love to hear what some of you folks with more experience in Remys (or rifles in general) have to share.

Thanks,
    D

Attached Files:

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What happened to the left hand rifle??

5. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

Nice gun I have a 700 hundred in 22-250 thinking of that gun in doesn't get much use hmmmmm.:confused:

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dang Diggs. What a flippin' nightmare. :eek: All I can say is that thing better be a tack driver.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's the thought I'm going into this with.

I don't think another Remy will ever be on my mind. :( That actually really hurts me. . . I guess I owe them one more phone call and hopefully get an explanation in return. I LOVE American Firearms!!! There's WAY too much competition for them to treat their folks like this.

As always I wish my gun well, but I also wish this scenario much luck, not for myself only, but many others to come

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

To be honest, it sounds like a lot of run around for a 700 but I'm glad you finally got it all taken care of. I hope that thing is a great shooter for all that hassle.

9. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

My gun smith say remington has gone to sh!t and has for the last 2years

10. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Let me see if I have this straight. You buy a rifle and take it home, get drunk and proceed to work on a trigger that the factory recommends you don't touch. It breaks and you demand they fix it. Okay, sounds about right. There's nothing to adjust on a standard Remington trigger that would result in a broken trigger like that.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If that Remington was manufactured in the last 1 year which I am sure it was then it had the x-mark pro trigger in there (Remington's crappy answer to Savage's Nice Accu-trigger).

I am sorry there is no way in hell that trigger would have stood up to more than 3 or 4 rounds at most. It looks to me like it had a flaw in the casting of the trigger it's self.

I am with Josh on this one. I wouldn't buy a remington 700 right now is someone paid me. Everything I have seen since cheerybus took over is junk and prices have almost doubled. I have a VLS and I got it for $550 in 2004 in 2009 at the same shop it was $950. That is crazy no matter how you look at it.

If I buy a new bolt gun it sure ain't gonna be a Remington.

Also I highly doubt diggs was DRUNK like you call him dcomf. Two beers and I am not even buzzing and I drink a beer a month in most cases.

You might want to do a little research before you go off calling people names man.

http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx

12. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

You are saying Remington produces a trigger that won't stand up to 3 or 4 rounds at most, or just that specific trigger? I agree their quality has been going down but it was long before they were sold. What name did I use that offended your delicate sensibilities? He admitted to drinking before wrenching which should raise an alarm from the start and admitted to being rough with it. What can a person be doing to a trigger that would even remotely cause it to break like that? I'm afraid we aren't hearing the whole story on this one.

13. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Looking at the broken trigger it doesn't appear to be the x mark pro trigger, not from my observation.

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

When the damn factory trigger broke I would have changed it out for a Jewell Trigger. Mine is set a 22 oz. pull weight, a little light I know, but it's one hell of a sweet trigger. I also put a muzzle brake on my 300 Win. Mag. Remmy 700 for target shooting. I highly suggest a brake for this caliber of rifle if your going to shoot it alot. The brake really tames a great deal of the recoil out. Dont get an untimed brake if your going to shoot prone. Rather, get a timed brake for prone shooting. I learned the hard way with the first brake I had which was a Fox River untimed brake which pelted me with dirt and gravel in the face when shooting prone and also damaged the objective lens of my scope. I now have a Elite Iron Max Tac timed brake which works properly for prone shooting and even reduced the felt recoil and muzzle rise more than the Fox River un timed brake. Also, when McMillan made my A-5 stock, I had them put a 1" Decel pad on it. The Decel pad eats up alot of felt recoil as well.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Show me another Remington trigger with a hex bolt in the trigger to adjust it. the old trigger didn't have this. That is an x-mark Pro trigger I am not sure how you can not see this with the REMINGTON web site I posted.

16. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Easy Hoss. Who gives a damn if a man has a couple beers while he's working on something? I refuse to work on ANYTHING without a beer! My yard, my lawnmowers, my ATV's and my kids' bikes all work fine. Seems like it was a bad casting to me...Anything else you'd like to add?

17. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Fine, it's a newer trigger. What is your point? Are they inherently weaker than the old ones or what?

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The point is Remington's Quality is gone down the crapper in the last few years. It all started with Cherybus taking them over. This is not the only place you will find that statement. Look on just about any gun related message-board and somewhere you will find that Remington's quality has went down when they were bought out.

19. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Then what was the point of including it in the OP's post? If other than the fact he thinks it may have affected his work. Otherwise it is irrelevant info. As an aside if you need a beer before you attempt anything that isn't machismo, it's alcoholism.

20. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Their quality was gone before Cerebrus purchased them. With the unions pushing them into the red they couldn't compete. Their costs had to be driven lower to even keep the doors open let alone be competitive. Ever wonder why they up and moved from Ilion and moved to Arkansas and the Carolinas? Cheaper to operate there.