Finish Quality of new Minis

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by mag318, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mag318

mag318 Member

I've owned 4 Minis since they came out and always enjoyed them. I went to a dealer who stocks a lot of them to look at the new ones. Seems to me they are not finished as well as they use to be. The first thing I noticed was the rear of the receiver had a casting line straight down the middle. This was on every new model I looked at both stainless and carbon steel. Every older Mini I looked at was nicely polished and finished. I was so turned off by the cheap looking casting on the new models I ended up buying a 186 model stainless that was like new. I've been told the new models with the heavier barrels and redesigned receivers are a big improvement over the older ones, it's just a shame they aren't finished as nicely. I'll stick with the older ones for now.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have some older Minis, and one of the new batch. The new ones do shoot better than most of the old ones, but I don't remember the finish being noticeably dif. Now I gotta dig mine out.:D

3. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Mag318 you are right. I had to pull my new mini 6.8spc out and look at it last night. I will see that casting line every time now!!! Still not a bad looking rifle over all.

4. Viking

Viking Active Member

My 195 stainless is clean, no casting line.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Yeah the new 580 series may look a tad rough on the outside but they are far better shooters than the older 180 series.

6. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

The new one's are not finished as well as the older one's, but they sure do shoot better.

Just be sure to really inspect any new mini that you are going to buy.
    Ruger has had some QC problems in the last year or two. All gun company's do, but some of the problems have been pretty bad, so check before buying.

Most of them are just fine, but some bad one's have slipped through.
    Take a good close look at the ring mounts especially and the extractor plunger.

Ruger made a large run that had the scope mounts cut badly due to a bad piece of machinery. If yours are cut bad, Ruger can re cut them. Mine were way off and myself and a gunsmith friend contacted Ken Farrel of Farrel Mounts.
    If you need a mount that does not depend on the cuts being right, contact Farrel. He has a new rail that will work no matter how bad the mounts are cut. It does require gunsmith installation.

If the mounts are off just a little, use Millet Angle lock windage adjustable rings made for the Ruger. They will allow you to align your scope if the mounts are only off a little bit. They are really good rings to boot. I like them better than the Ruger rings just because you can get your scope perfectly aligned so there is no damage to the scope, the Ruger rings do not allow for any adjustment. A good scope mount is very important and worth doing right.

John K

7. mag318

mag318 Member

I was looking at a new stainless Ranch Rifle with a laminated stock the other day. The gun felt great and I'd really like to try one with the new barrel contour. The casting seam though down the center of the receiver is a huge turnoff. I know Ruger is trying to cut corners and save money but COMMON, not polishing the receiver like they use to just makes this thing look cheap.
    So until they start finishing these great rifles like they deserve I'll just stick with my old one to deal with marauding water jugs.

Attached Files:

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That water jug must have really pi$$ed you off. ;)

9. mykelb

mykelb New Member

After seeing this thread I went and looked at my friends Stainless Mini14 that he got at the end of last year and it has the same casting line. It's hard to say how far this issue goes back but it may be a result of supply and demand and they just started banging them out.(He did have to wait to get one shipped to the Dealer) That's just my opinion, no facts to back it up.

10. Viking

Viking Active Member

I have a 195 series built in 1999 and it has no casting line. As for the newer ones with uneven casting lines, machining probably cleans up the necessary mating surface areas. It just seems to me that if castings lined up so beautifully for years then why is so hard to do it now?

11. CA357

I just looked at my Mini and while the line is there, it's smooth and barely noticeable. In fact, if it wasn't for this thread, I'd never have seen it.

12. mag318

mag318 Member

When you look at older Mini 14s whether blued or stainless, they were beautifully finished. The first hint of Rugers cost cutting was seen in the 10-22s, probably the best selling 22 of all times. They switched to a plastic trigger guard and instead on bluing or even painting the receivers they went with a baked on powder finish that you can flake off with your fingernail. I'd rather see the price go up and maintain a decent looking finish. I surmise the bean counters run the company now, and it's a sign of the times.

Attached Files:

13. CA357

I'm on my third Mini 14 now and this one isn't going anywhere. It's as accurate as I'm capable of shooting it.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Had mine out last weekend and tore the hell out of an old propane tank at 100 yards with a rest on an old tree. Good enough for me.

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a new style stainless Mini 14 and just dug it out to look for the casting line. Mine looks good. I got it about 4 years ago, IIRC.

16. mag318

mag318 Member

THe 195 and earlier series were all finished better. Ruger made engineering changes to the newer receivers making them easier and cheaper to produce. The newer Minis are suppose to be more accurate, which is always good. I just wish if they're making a better Mini14 it would look like it.

17. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Ruger has been shipping a lot of Mini 14's and 30's with major problems lately. Bad receivers, bad bolts, guns that won't eject and a host of other problems.
    The scope mount problem is one of the worst.

I have contacted them a bunch of times as my Mini only had 5 things wrong with it out of the box. They just don't care, tell you to send it back. It may work wyhen it comes back, but they remove anything you have done, keep the parts and the gun usually shoots 3" groups, not the 1 inch groups it shot when returned to them.

I don't know what has happened at ruger, but the crap they are putting out is aweful.
    You pay good money for a rifle, you expect it to work and be of decent quality. Lately ruger can't give either.
    I've seen so many posts on other sites, one after another with problems.
    I won't ever buy another Ruger, not one.
    There are quite a few posts that mirror what I have said. Ruger has been loosing a lot of customers.

This is just my opinion, but I've done a lot of research into the problems and they are real. I hope Ruger gets their act togather again, but I'm not holding my breath.

I sure do love my older Rugers. They used to know how to make a fantastic gun. Guess they forgot.

John K

18. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Reinstalling Ruger parts probably happens because some attorney told them they needed to do so to avoid some sort of liability. Not returning parts is a major no-go, in in my opinion. I am glad I have my Mini. I may look elsewhere for a .22 though.

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Sounds like Ruger found a new way to get themselves a little raise in pay...
    Do a little less work for a little more money

20. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Yes, I hate to see the quality go down, but it has taken a major nose dive.

I have a newer Mini 14 Tactical, like I said, it came with 5 problems right out of the box.

it took some work, but now shoots .9" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds with handloads. I really like the rifle, but will never buy another ruger product.

it's like the new Scout rifle they just put out. Doesn't shoot all that well and magizines are $71.00 each, what a rip off. Only Ruger mags will fit.

I hate to see Ruger go down this road, but they are.

The Mini 30 breaks FP's with mil Surp ammo.
    I could go on and on.
    All of this is just my opinion, I'm a retired gunsmith and have done a lot of research into their problems as well as talked with several big wigs at Ruger who could care less.

I'd look real hard before buying another Ruger.
    If it's a have to have gun, OK, but if another manufacturer offers something similar, especially Savage, bypass the Ruger.

I never though I'd feel this way, but I've been contacted by so many people who have had problems, I can't beleive it. I'm not a Ruger hater, I own a lot of the earlier ones. I just hate to see good people spend their hard earned money on a gun that's inferior. They didn't used to be.

John K