Finicky 22s

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by flybuddy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I constantly see various 22 firearms that will only shoot certain (brand) ammo (same velocity). Nearly any 22 function problems questioned on a forum is answered first with "what ammo are you using". Why is it that some 22 pistol/rifles will shoot anything reliably and others won't? This is a question worth asking now since 22 is scarce and we don't have the ammo choices we once had.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bullet casting diameters, hardness of lead alloys or lobricants and bullet coatings along with rim thickness can all have effects on how bullets may feed in a particular gun. Then some gun's feed ramps, magazine feed lip angles, breech faces, and chamber dimensions add their own sets of variables. Add spring tensions in the guns and pressures and pressure curves developed by the loads and that can create incompatible combinations as well.

A gun made with looser specifications may be more tolerant of a variety, while more accuracy is gained by tighter fitted parts, with a loss in reliability with ammo that falls outside of its specification range.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't know about the remlin model 60. The pre freedom group model 60 Marlin will eat anything. I don't know anyone that owns a freedom group Model 60 Marlin. I don't know if the freedom group made any changes to the model 60 beside the stock material and magazine capacity. The Marlin model 60 has a beech stock. I cannot tell if the FG stock is laminated or made from coarse grain wood. I have to say the FG stock is good looking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Great Post, right on.

Add to that:
    * Bullet Shape not conducive to the feeding mechanism / ramp / chamber
    * Bullet Coatings like wax causing friction and depositing crud.
    * Dirty Powder fouling the feed mechanism

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had an older model 60 that would eat anything for 50 rounds. After that it was jam city and it did not matter what ammo. Give it a thorough cleaning and it was good for another 50. I ran into some Winchester that absolutely would not chamber in my 10-22 or my CZ but ran fine in my wife's 15-22. The chamber has a lot to do with what will work and as Doc said there are a whole lot of variables. I quit buying Remington bulk because the bullets were loose to the point they would bend when being fed and I was getting 20% ftf when they did feed. Most would fire on a 2nd go through. The better grade Remington works great especially the standard velocity in my bolt.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The 22LR is not very reliable in semi-autos because of its low power. Another common problem is bullet dislodging.

7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I buy ammo that will feed and fire in my semi autos. Everything else that won't get shot through my bolt 22. The way 22 ammo is right now I won't be picky, I will buy what they have and shoot what I got.

8. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

This happens alot to my Savage Mark II, especially with the older non jacketed Remington rounds. Bullets are loose in the cartridge and it winds up binding trying to feed it into the chamber.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Quick chamber fouling also causes problems in the 22s, even in the revolvers. The wax on plated bullets contributes to that. The easiest if not the cheapest fixes are, using higher power loads (Stinger) or cleaner ones (Green Tag).

10. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

All of the ammo difference explanations are spot on and make sense. HOWEVER, I can take the same ammo that won't run in a 10/22 and run it through a 15/22 with no problems. I also have a Beretta ARX 160-22 and GSK AK-22 that will eat anything and keep on shooting. I've also got 2 pistol conversions, a TSG on a Glock 17 and a Ciener kit on a PT92. Feeding from the same box. The clunky looking Ciener will just keep shooting while the TSG has problems (had an AA and it didn't work well either). I have a Sig 1911-22 that was fairly reliable on CCI only. After an upgraded guide rod and stiffer return spring it will now shoot anything.
    IMO, "quality" ammo is sometimes an excuse for a poor running gun. Any time I buy a 22 of any persuasion from now on I'll do a thorough review search and shy away from the CCI only guns.
    Note: in fairness to TSG, I was able to modify it to a fairly reliable state and the manufacturer is sending me a free modified firing pin to help with the few light strikes it gets.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Clean the firearm. NOT the barrel, but the firearm.

The difference in performance can be notable. Pay

particular attention to the firing pin, bolt, chamber,

and return spring.

I recently field-stripped and cleaned a Nylon 66. The

amount of dirt a 22 action will hold without malfunctioning,

also, is startling, at times. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it

came off the assembly line.