Finger Prints and your IL Carry Conceal License Application

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by AlphaKoncepts, Jan 30, 2014.

1. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

I have a soar spot for this topic.

I got a call from a potential student yesterday, we spoke, answered his questions, he says he spoke to 2 other instructors before me. He said I am the only one who says finger prints are optional. I explained the 90 day 120 day difference, also suggested if he had a common name he may want to get prints but they are optional. I also stated finger prints may be mandatory if his application got called to the review board, but that's unlikely to happen unless he has a questionable past. He called me back about 2 hours later asking if I was sure. Said he contacted the same two instructors, plus one additional instructor and of the 4 (including me) I am the only one saying finger prints are optional. He says the other 3 instructors insist that they are mandatory.

I told him not to trust any of us, and to read the law. Told him it was linked on my site and to just do a ctrl+F search for the word finger and let me know what he discovers.

I should have asked who the other instructors are, and I will ask if he calls me back. To be honest I don't expect a call back, he thinks I am the one that's wrong.

Page 14 of the carry conceal law:

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They arent the only ones, I had one of the guys that took the class call and tell me that the pistol range he was at the instructor told him he needed prints and that they could do them right there on the spot and process his application for $125 ... I told him to leave and come here . I helped him process his application for free , no prints needed . Its amazing what people will do to make a extra buck .

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is good to know. I don't particularly want to send in fingerprints. :cool:

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

It can speed up the process if you take the full 16 hr course , however the ones that have a DD214 or other 8 hr credit the state will have to go check those credit hours to make sure they are valid , like a Utah or florida or hunters safety or other courses . So to say prints speeds it up the process is only how you present it

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Send in ? ?

So . . um, do they have to be yours? ;)

6. scottmac

scottmac New Member

WoC: GAT is now rigged for the electronic prints. I don't know if it's a staff thing or if they bring someone in. It used to be available Thursday afternoon.

Most of the other stores / ranges in the area do something similar.
    Costs vary, usually between $50 and $75.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Some information that may help.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...ctName=Firearm+Owners+Identification+Card+Act.

This indicates $150.00 fee and subject to fingerprints to avoid delay.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...last-state-in-the-nation.aspx?s=&st=10477&ps=

We would welcome you here in Virginia if you would consider moving...but you better hurry. Terry McAuliffe has not started swinging yet...it won't be long. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Well, they're saying 'submit fingerprints with the application'. To me, that sounds like you send them in with the application. :cool: I'm not sure the rules stipulate whose prints they need to be. ;)

Balota and I are going shooting at GAT next week. I think I'll look into taking the CCW class while I'm there. Thanks for the info.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Here in NY my fingerprints were taken electronically, along with my headshot by the background check service. They scanned copies of my ID documentation and they had their own form that they filled out online and submitted to BGC HQ. I got a receipt to send to the county, which sent my permit approval after the county heard back from the BGC service.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In Massachusetts you're processed by the police just like a criminal. Fingerprints,mug shots,documentation of any outstanding characteristics and tattoos. Not fun. Although I got a good laugh out of the female officer when she ran out of room for documenting my tattoos and asked if I had any more. I offered to drop my pants. Lmfao

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Winds, if you submit fingerprints they have to be electronic , they will not accept inked prints, If you do the Elec. fingerprints they will give you a TCN number that you include on your online application form . You will need a digital copy of your IL training certificate that they give you when you take your certified class and no other digital forms regardless of what someone tells you " This creates a problem because the people doing the paperwork for IL have no idea what it is or what to do with it " . You will also need a digital head and should picture . Both of these will be asked for when you do the online application along with your last 10 years of residency and the standard bad boy , bad girl questionnaire .

12. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Winds - TopShot Academy hosts a course at Cabellas in Hoffman Estates too (about the same distance for you - have you checked out Pine Tree Pistol Club by you for the class though?). I think TopShot may go over to GAT for range time. All indications from another forum is the class is top notch and everything is included (I think - fingerprints and Type 10 Biometric Photo).

13. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

14. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Nothing against top notch, I have conversed with them greatly over the last year or two at another forum. I don't think everything is included. Maybe I am wrong? They do for sure include finger prints and photograph. Photograph however is a requirement of finger prints for the state.

Other costs someone should consider when considering taking a carry conceal class...

food. Breakfast and lunch for a day or two.
    targets.
    ammunition.
    holster.
    firearm.
    range fees.

Some instructors advertise a low price then make you pay the range fee separate. Let the buyer beware. I pay the range fees.

You're going to eat, don't forget these costs. I buy my students breakfast and lunch and bring in coffee, bottled water, and soda. Also don't forge the hassle of leaving the facility for an hour seeking a fast food joint. I have it delivered.

I provide targets.

I provide eye and ear protection to who ever needs it.

I buy ammunition in bulk and pass the savings along to the student, already included in the price.

Many students have not yet purchased a holster, they may use my holster.

We use SIRT Laser training pistols in addition to various real pistols for the live fire. Students are welcome to use one of my firearms at no extra cost.

I tell my students, "You can show up with nothing more than a driver's license and I will provide everything else you need to complete the class." Just some things to consider.

Just my $0.02. I host classes in Des Plaines, Gurnee and Lombard for what it is worth.

15. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

And I'm still planning on signing up with you CGS :) as you're closer to me. Just have some other expenses that have taken a priority. You're offering a hell of a deal!

Yes - when I said everything I meant the class, fingerprints and picture, but I can see how some people might interpret that incorrectly. Thanks for clarifying.

16. scottmac

scottmac New Member

When you get the electronic fingerprints done, you get a "tip" number. You put the tip number on the form so they can match your application with your prints.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I think it's crazy that they don't require fingerprints. Here in Indiana we had too, but ours are a LIFEtime permit!!:).

18. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

I think you mean "TCN" as in Transaction Control Number.

I don't think it is crazy at all. They can do a substantial back ground check without finger prints just on your name and pertinent data like SSN's etc... If you get flagged for what ever reason and reviewed by the board, then you may be required to submit finger prints.

I had a student in my last class who has a cousin with the exact same name as him, who is a felon. I suggested he would be a great candidate to get finger printed.

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

In Maine I just applied at the local PD and had it in a week or so and in
    New Hampshire not being a resident it was through the State Police very easy.

20. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Easier to commit a crime without your finger prints in the system.;);).