Finest powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by timothy.owen46, Jun 9, 2019.

1. timothy.owen46

timothy.owen46 New Member

Hello all. I'm not a reloader so I'm not familiar with powder types
    I'm trying to find out what the finest powder types are. Cleaning out the garage and found a miniature cannon that my dad used to play with. It's very small, only shoots bbs. I'm trying to figure out what kind of powder could fit down the barrel. Do they make something that fine or would I be better off grinding some on my own?

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to find out who manufactured the cannon and find out what type of powder is recommended for use in it. I would also find out the loading procedure as well.

Just selecting some powder based upon how fine it is, is a possible way of damaging the cannon and hurting yourself. If you can't find out what the proper powder is, put it on a shelf and admire it.

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Lennypeters and crash11049 like this.
  4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Hold my beer.

targa and crash11049 like this.
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Hi Timothy! There are over a thousand different gunpowders out there. We can't give you a definitive answer without a lot more information.

HOWEVER- muzzle loaders- including muzzle loading cannon, typical used black powder, as opposed to modern smokeless powder. Black powder was sized by grain size from fG to ffffG- fG being the biggest grains, used in bigger guns. For brevity, powder is usually called 2 f or 3 f etc.

I would suspect your mini uses either ffffG or fffG, but a picture and any markings on the cannon would help. As far as grinding your own powder- generally that goes in the basket marked "Really Bad Ideas".

6. c3shooter

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that is KEWL!!!

EclecticShooter likes this.
  8. timothy.owen46

Thanks everyone. I get the danger factor but thing is tiny. If you could manufacture a nuclear warhead to fit in the barrel it might be powerful enough to flip a bottle cap over. If I remember correctly my dad just used to break open black cat firecrackers to load it. I don't even have the bbs to load it. More or less just want to make flames shoot out the end for the entertainment factor. I think black powder is the route. Just didn't know how fine they make it. I'll post a pic of the little thing when I get back to the house.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A very tiny charge of 3F, or even 4F and about 1/4 of a sheet of toilet tissue wadded up should make an impressive blank.

timothy.owen46 likes this.
  10. c3shooter

Now ain't that the cutest little thing! Yeah- an amount of 3f or 4f about the size of a paper match head, and some tissue paper wadding would do it. See if there are any folks around there that shoot muzzle loader that could spare you an aspirin tablet's worth of powder.

timothy.owen46 likes this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

What do you use for a fuse?

12. timothy.owen46

I found some fuse for model rockets that fits.