Finding WWII FireArms

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by PcolaCatFan, Mar 13, 2012.

1. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Where's the best places to find Mausers or any WWII firearms? I've got two sons and both love throne we have! I'm thinking they'll need there their own.

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Gun shows by far in my opinion, just know what you are looking at, so as not to be sweet talked into a bad deal. I get all my milsurps at gunshows if I can help it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Actually I think (Pawn Shops) are the best. I have gotten some of my best Milsurp`s at the best prices at pawn shops.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Pawn shops, or gun shops owned by morons. I have found quite a few at the later. Other then Mosin Nagants, you better have a full wallet.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

You can also troll the auction sites like Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com

I've got a local pawn shop that usually has a great sellection of C&R (Curio & Relic) guns for sale. I've noticed lately that some of his stock is being ordered from the same supplier that I order my stuff from so they're marked up much higher for example: Mosin Nagant 91/30's that I can get for $79 marked to $129 etc. What I would suggest is look at sites like AIMsurplus, Century Arms Int., SOG or other wholesalers like that, get a ball park idea of what they're going for and add 10% for a fair deal on a milsurp rifle. Anything more and you might be getting taken advantage of (and I mean at the gunshow)...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Pawn shops, LGS, gun show, sometime's gunsmith shops, I found my Enfield at a local pawn shop, there is a hunter supply here also that has a bunch of Jap and Soviet rifles WWII era.

7. xring3

xring3 Member

I like pawn shops.......even if the price is reasonable, I always ask "is this the best you can do?"........9 out of 10 times they will knock something off.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What's your general area, OP?

There's a great Milsurp place here in Tampa...

9. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

Century international and sog

10. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

I'm in Pensacola. Looking for an M1.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

12. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Twice as much as what I paid for mine from CMP just a few years ago. Amazing how much these rifles go for...

13. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

No local brick and mortar shop can stay open with a 10% mark-up. That isn't a fair price to add onto a wholesale price in my opinion. If you can order from a wholesaler, do it. If not, expect to pay close to double for the cheap surplus (mosins) or add another 50% for the more expensive surplus (Garands, CETMES, etc).

14. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS New Member

The BEST place to find WWII firearms is from WWII reenactors and collectors. Pawn shops charge way too much, and online gun auctions also do. I've been a reenactor for years, beginning with the Middle Ages, then Roman 2nd century, and recently WWII German. Google the "Historical Reenactment Society" or "WWII Reenactment" and begin there. If Allied WWII is your thing, gun shows are a good, local alternative. German WWII firearms in decent condition are less frequent at gun shows than US firearms, but you may see a few mismatched Russian-captured k98 rifles there. The going rate for those is $350.00. I would avoid paying more. Shop around.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Ten percent was probably unrealistic to expect from a gun shop but I find 100% mark up to also be unfair or unrealistic. I was suggesting that markup for mil-surp firearms sold at gun stores "only" not modern guns. But you make one good point.. If you can purchase wholesale, do it.... get the license (C&R) then you can get dealer pricing. I see the prices of mil-surps at gun stores and it's rediculous to see what they're asking for something I know I can get for around half the cost. Gun shows are "sometimes" more reasonable but not by much and you really need to do your homework to know what folks have been paying at say the auction houses and such to make sure you're still not being taken.

In my opinion, 30 bucks for the collectors license is a small price to pay if you intend to buy more than one mil-surp firearm. You'll pay that back off your first purchase...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I dont understand it either... As for the CMP and just my luck, Why is the only M1 I want is the only one I cant buy from them? :(

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Way it works sometimes I reck'n... Which one were you trying to get? I just looked at CMP's site btw.. WOW, have the prices really gone up. My H&R was a field grade but you couldn't tell it by the condition it's in. Very little work I had to do to make it look like a fine service grade or better... I'll post pics tonight.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

One made by International Harvester.... :(

19. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Great info........ Thank you!

20. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Some dealers can get them or search for them for a client as I have done. Looking for specific manufacturers of WWII small arms make them harder to find and definately more expensive. One thing you might try is to make contact with someone from a gun collectors association that might be in your locale.

I'd recommend caution buying through the auction sites, especially if the seller is a pawn shop. Just because a pawn broker has an FFL doesn't make him knowledgeable about weapons, or even ethical. I had one client of mine get badly burned buying an M1 Carbine in just this way. To be specific, he bought what was supposed to be a milspec Carbine from a pawn shop through Gunbroker.com. He had asked me to be the receiving FFL and I agreed. The rifle arrived and while it was shown to be a wooden stock, military rifle in the listing, it arrived with a modern composite stock. The mechanical condition was also to have been excellent. Leave it to say that it wasn't and it was pretty much immediately evident on inspection. The buyer was an older gent and I couldn't have felt worse for him, but there was nothing much I could do for him. Goes to show how true the warning "Caveat Emptor", meaning buyer beware, is.

Conversely, I bought an M1 Carbine from a dealer in New England for myself sight unseen, but talked to him on the phone prior and knew what to ask. It arrived in exactly the condition both cosmetically and mechanically that he described. I absolutely love that rifle. It's more fun to shoot than my AR. This is where making contact with the seller personally can make all of the difference.

Apparently, there has been increased demand for WWII military guns as of late, and thus the lack of inventory and higher prices. This also explains why you see so many more Mosins and K98s available lately. Whether this is part of the panic buying surrounding the current admin in DC or not, I'm not sure. Who ever thought that the CMP would run out of Carbines and jack up the prices on the remaining Garands. I had planned a road trip to Camp Perry late last summer with a couple guys from my lodge to buy rifles as I belong to a CMP affiliated club. Good thing I had checked the web site before we planned to head out. To see both Camp Perry and Anniston completely out of Carbines shocked the heck out of me and disappointed the guys also.

I's also recommend contacting the larger stocking dealers anywhere you can. There are a number of them that have web sites. One place that I've been to and have dealings with dealer to dealer is Hyatt's Gun Shop in Charlotte, NC. They have a site and are about as reputable as they come. They stock literally several thousand guns at any given time and this is the type of place that a search for a more specific gun might bear fruit. I could only dream about being as big as they are.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012