Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rbranstner, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rbranstner

rbranstner New Member

I am researching a nice little compact SCCY (SKKY) CPX-01 9mm for my concealed gun. I am finding mixed reviews on the forums on their page. It seems you either get a great gun or you get one with problems. Any of you have any experience with this gun? What did you find?

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

First off, how much does it cost?

The pistol your are looking at is pretty much a carbon copy of a Kel-Tec 9mm (at least to my eyes).

It seems like if the cost is really up there, you might be better off going with a Kel-Tec instead.

3. rbranstner

rbranstner New Member

You can get one for aroun $275 that is with two clips and clip finger extensions. I am going to go out again today and check other dealers and see what I find. But its a nice gun for the price.

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Be sure to compare this weapon to the Kel-Tec as far as the quality of the internals. They look the same on the outside, but the internals is where it matters.

Good luck in your searches.

:)

5. rbranstner

rbranstner New Member

I will not be buying this gun. Upon further review there are lots of horror stories and I just can't trust my life to a gun that won't work.

6. BGSnow

BGSnow New Member

I do not own a SCCY or a Kel-Tec, but I disagree that the SCCY is the same as the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec (P-3, P-11, and the PF-9) does not have a manual safety, which for me is a significant requirement for a primary CCW.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

The P3AT (and the LCP) are specifically designed NOT to have a safety. You can not accidentally fire these pistols, you must intentionally pull the trigger full travel every shot. In a surprize hostile situation you will be LUCKY just to extract your pistol and cap several rounds... let alone dropping a safety!

I carry my P3AT with one in the pipe at all times. All I have to do is aim and squeeze.

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Get a .357 Magnum revolver... Ruger, Taurus, Colt, S&W, or whatever. If you want a trouble-free SD gun.

9. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Got one!

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner or I'd have replied sooner...was on the road.

I own a Sccy CPX-1. Have had it for about 6 months now. I have hands that are somewhat on the smaller side and it fits in my hands very well. It's a small DAO autopistol that very closely resembles offerings from Kel-Tec. However, the SCCY features an ambidextrous safety.

I have shot about 100 rounds through my Sccy, everything from Blaser brass to Lawman to even WOLF and I have not had a single failure to function yet. I, too, have read the internet horror stories; I read them all AFTER I bought the gun though so I was already stuck. However, I must say, mine has been extremely reliable with all types of ammunition and while it has one heck of a bark when fired (as it would being so small), it is actually also rather accurate. At 10 meters I can make every round in the magazine a headshot. The trigger pull, though it's double action, is fairly smooth.

I will say this: for anyone with a bigger hand, the recoil of the firing weapon CAN cause your thumb to nudge the safety back into the "on" position. I've had it happen in the middle of a magazine. You'll be firing..."bang...bang...hey what the hell...oh wait...bang..." Probably not good. I've had to consciously switch my grip when shooting that hand to keep my thumb away from the ambidextrous safety. Since I've done that, I've had no problems.

Overally, my experience has been a good one with the Sccy. Functions well, easy to clean and care for and nice and small.

It's definitely no Glock though. And the advice to go with a .357 revolver isn't a bad idea either. I've got a Taurus 65 that I love.

Josh

10. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 New Member

sccy vs. kel-tec

I bought a kel-tec a year ago and then bought the sccy as a gift for my dad. After I shot both guns, I must admit the sccy impressed me. The safety was nice since that's preferred by my dad and it is unique. The trigger pull is less and more crisp on the sccy. My groups were better with the sccy by inches at 30 feet. I'm keeping my p-11 because he won't trade. It's a great gun for the price and i'd be willing to bet the price will be going up pretty soon. As soon as the word gets out.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Never owned one myself but I've known 3 people who have and each of them ditched it shortly after purchase. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but this is what I know of them.

When it comes to guns, there's cheap and inexpensive and sorry to say these fall in the first category from the examples I've seen. If you intend to hang out with us can I suggest you head over to the introductions area and tell us about yourself...

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I don't like the KelTecs, but have you tried the Bersa Thunder 380? what about a Rossi or a Taurus 85 revolver? those are excellent guns near the price range of the Keltec (or CPX1)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A good revolver is worth your weight in gold. Where have you been?

A revolver, especially a hammerless one, is the perfect choice for self defense, especially for someone with limited or no skills with a firearm.

JD

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a little bit of experience with firearms and haven't found revolvers useless in the least. I believe they have their uses in certain circumstances. I used to own a Bersa Thunder 380 and it was an outstanding little pistol. I'm sorry I ever sold it and am seriously considering buying another. There's a huge difference between cheap and inexpensive.

BTW, Ballydoctor, welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, head over to the new member area and introduce yourself to the gang.

15. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Ballydoctor. Welcome to the forum by the way! why don't you stop by the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself :rolleyes:

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You sir have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Now that you've demonstrated your total ignorance on firearms, perhaps you can advise us on proper ninja tactics...

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I can't count the number of years, has to be at least 100, that revolvers were state of the art firearms...they still are.

There are still police forces utilizing revolvers as duty weapons. A revolver is easier to detect if it is loaded, you can see the rounds in the cylinder, you have a much simpler operating routine when shooting whether SA or DA.

The Revolver...A good choice for a self defense weapon especially for a woman or older person who may not have the hand strength to cycle a slide or load a magazine.

Ninja....Geez, I didn't know!

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I used to be disgusted, but now I'm just amused. ;)

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

How old are you? How much REAL experience have YOU had with revolvers and other firearms? It sounds like you don't have much experience with all different types of firearms if you think revolvers are useless.