Find a Friend a Holster!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dillinger, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, as some of you know I made a trade recently for a Taurus PT-1911 in exchange for building a friend an AR-15 platform. Full size, all steel platform. Straight across, I came into the 1911 for nothing but my time and "limited experience".

A veteran member here at the community immediately PM'd me about purchasing it, but I could not possibly let it leave without putting the JD touch on it. It's due back for my final range test and assessment in the next week or so.

So I am asking for suggestions on a quality, carry holster that you 1911 guys use in your daily carry.

This thread will serve as an idea ground for people looking for a daily wear and carry holster for a full sized 1911 pistol.

So, what have you got??

JD

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm honored to be the first to suggest what I feel is the gold standard for In-Waistband holster:

Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe

[​IMG]

I wear the same holster for both of my Kimbers, a Pro and an Ultra. With a good gun belt (mine is also Crossbreed) it leaves no discomfort.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I agree with Chris, but I prefer the horsehide version. Less apt to slip around, at least for me.

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

FINALLY! I wanted to suggest that since somewhere around 80% of people say it's the BEST, but as I still have 3-5 weeks before mine gets here, I didn't want to give advice on something I don't know anything about.

Is that the combat cut or reg. That's the best picture I've seen, every other pic is taken slightly from the right of where your camera is, and you can't see the cut area very well.

I ordered the horse hide version and a belt with the velcro already installed just in case I decide to use the v-clips.

Does anyone on here use the v-clips?

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

6. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

I wear a TTGunleather all day everyday. Love it (love leather). Have one for my 3", 4/4.25", 5", as well as one for my rail guns. Wear it under loose shirt, comfortable, no print and still easy to access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Regular cut. I'm quite happy with mine. The climate here in Orygun doesn't require horsehide.

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Yeah, I kind of did the whole...it cost more = must be better thing.:eek:

Actually I never saw anyone mention one way or the other until just before I ordered it, and I saw someone bragging about the horse hide. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything and I figured the color would show through clothes less than the black cow hide.

I ordered the regular cut too. I don't plan on being in daily 'combat' but do plan on carrying it daily and figured more the leather between me and the gun the better. :D

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

+1 for the crossbreed supertuck. I can wear it anywhere in comfort. I also go with the regular cut and it has not slowed drawing the weapon at all. IMO, it's the best holster out there for IWB. PLUS, I can still tuck my shirt in.

If I'm carrying OWB I use a Blackhawk I picked up from Gojubrian a little while back.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A 5" 1911 has always been too heavy for me to carry around my waist. I would have to cinch my belt up so tight I thought I'd bust just to keep it from pulling my pants off of me. So I tried shoulder rigs and I had a DeSantis leather rig that was really nice and much more confortable than a belt-style holster. But it pretty much limited me to only carrying when I could wear a jacket.

I had a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for my SR9c and the dang thing was just too much trouble to get on and off or to try to get a shirt tucked into. I ended up sending it back. I think I'm one of the minority that doesn't care for Crossbreed.

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB for CC
    Galco Fletch for open carry, around the house, riding the quad, etc
    Uncle mikes Kydex OWB (I cut down and trimmed) for competition

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What about thigh carry for days on the trail or a very conspicuous show of force? Is the Blackhawk thigh rig with serpa the greatest show on earth or does something else compare?

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Some good suggestions. I have to say I tried the Crossbreed and I did not care for it at all.

Granted I was a bit heavier this time last year when I was trying it and having dropped 2 pants sizes, and close to 30 pounds, perhaps I should give it a try again.

I have a Galco Combat Master, leather, with the FBI CANT for belt carry and I love it. It's preformed for the 1911 and works with both my 5" and my 4.25"

I also have the Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig from Galco with the widened shoulder straps and it is very comfortable. I can wear that rig all day without issues, but with the thin straps that come with the unit I found them a bit taxing.

As for a thigh rig, I have the Blackhawk SERPA with the finger release button and love it. Definitely well built, it's easy to reholster by feel and the reassuring click when it locks in place is a plus.

Keep the suggestions coming.

JD

14. freefall

freefall New Member

I used to carry mine in a fake Jackass shoulder rig I cobbled up. Gave it to a friend, now I have to make another. I agree with the pulling the pants off syndrome. Of course, if I'd loose about 3" of belly that would be less of a problem.:eek: I really like the shoulder rig tho, you shrug it on, fasten the belt snap, and you're ready to comfortably carry your pistol and 2 mags as long as you wish.

15. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

JD
    Take a look a the stuff a guy in Georgia named Ryan Grizzle makes. I got one for my Kimber Ultra and have always loved it. He has OWB, IWB and about anything you could want. Top quality, hand made. Holsters by RGrizzle

16. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i got a wilson combat inside the pants. it is hard leather and really comfortable and fit my kimber cdp very tight. has a safety cut so when you are wearing it the slide safety will not go to the fire position. my weapon is pretty light so no pants dragging problem.

17. Drriley

Drriley New Member

I use the Don Hume J.I.T Slide holser for a Para 13-45. Fits very tight to my side and I have never had a probem with retention or draw.

Don Hume makes several other types for the 1911 but I like this the best. They are the best value availabe that I have found. The J I T is usually under $40 at local dealers and even lower on the internet.

(picture is not for the 1911 but medium sized autos).

Attached Files:

18. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Ordered one of these on Friday for my Gold Cup. Cant wait to get it!

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

You're gonna have to wait. I have waited 5 weeks and 5 days to get mine and still haven't seen hide nor hair of it. They got 2 days left and I'm calling them! :mad:

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Mine was 2 or 3 weeks, but it was also 1911. They might have a certain stock on hand for 1911. What is your handgun, Jesse? Cuz if it was the new XD in .43 Luger you'll be waiting a LOOOOOOOONG time.