Finally!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 351mustang65, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Well I finally got to shoot my SR9.
    [​IMG]

I put 250 round through her, here are some targets.
    Now before you guys start making fun of me let me just say the only other time I have shot hand guns was with my friend and his 6 guns outdoors shooting milk jugs and it was my first time ever shooting this gun or any Ruger for that matter.

Around 7 yards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Pretty consistent shooting you got there. With a little bit of practice you are going to be putting all those rounds deep in the red.

I wouldn't short change your ability at all. If this was the first time at an indoor range, I would have NO problem giving you a line of fire and putting you behind some sandbags inside my perimeter when the Space Zombies come. ;)

How was the function? Any problems? How did the weapon perform? Was it up to your expectations?

JD

3. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Oh and I was shooting pretty rapidly.

10 yards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around 12 yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

She ran good, I had a stove pipe or two but I think that was me not the gun, I was happy with how it performed.

5. 995

995 New Member

Glad she performed well for you and nice shooting to by the way

6. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

Pretty good shooting for rapid fire, at 30 feet with a new gun. Hell, I can barely SEE 30 feet. :p
    I've seen this with other guns. Let me ask you this - did you clean the gun before you shot it? A lot of guys think it's all right to take the gun out of the box and blast away. It's not. New guns are packed with grease, which is for preventing corrosion, NOT shooting. Heavy grease can cause malfunctions.

All guns should be cleaned, thoroughly, before shooting. It's shocking to me how many people do not do this.

I'll probably end up buying a SR9. I only have one other 9mm (Walther PPS) and about 2,000 rounds of 9mm brass. The SR9 is slim and small, the way a 9mm should be - and unlike the PPS, it's high cap. And it feels great in my hand.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Yes I cleand the gun first.

I think it stove piped because of a loose grip on a few shoots.

I am happy with the gun and like the way it shoots!

8. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

Yeah I dont have very good eyesight either I am supposed to wear glasses but dont maybe it would help if I wear them next time.

9. fangus

fangus New Member

great gun

Ive had my SR9 for about ayear now, love it I did have to send it back to ruger in dec. for a sticky mag relace button, works fine now, nocharge from ruger great service. IF you polish the feed ramp it should clear up any feed problems.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  10. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

I got in trouble on a Bersa forum for recommending a ramp polish. It seems some pistols have a ramp which is hardened on the surface; if you polish it, you can wear through the hardening, and ruin the gun! :eek:

That forum no longer permits home gun smithing posts.

Better make sure polishing is safe for your gun.

11. fangus

fangus New Member

Ive polished mine its stainless, every ruger site ive seen says polish the ramp and throat,so take it for what its worth. ive polished MY LCP also no problem.,dont no much about bersas

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  12. Thelt

Thelt New Member

What did you think of the trigger? That double trigger thing looks kinda strange.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I do believe it would take alot of polishing to wear through the hardening. That actually requires metal removal amount that polishing would not reach during a regular polish.

14. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

I dont even really notice the double trigger it feels like any other trigger to me.

glocks also have a double trigger.

15. fangus

fangus New Member

+1 on the trigger, its just an extra safety device when carrying 1 in the pipe,most pistols have it, some internal some external. ruger put this kind of set up on the SR9,because of safety conserns when a pistol is droped to keep it from going off

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did ya notice those silhouette targets look like you're shootin' the bad guy in the back?

17. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

What makes you say that?

18. JcashMan

JcashMan New Member

had a question about that ruger

damn fine shooting first of all, youre putting them consistantly in an area which would stop the threat and after some range time which is enjoyable anyway, youll be boasting mad skills in no time!:cool:

Now heres my dilemma: I just turned 21 which is the legal age for carry
    in my state and am at a dilemma. All facts of importance to me in a concealed carry gun combined with my "price range" have narrowed it down to these handguns: springfield XD, ruger SR 9 and Smith and Wesson M&P.
    upon finding information i located a report by Massad Ayoob which said and i quote "The trigger sucks"
    did you feel the trigger had a long creep to it, or was "loose" causing less than optimum shooting?

19. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

I'm not a guy that knows a whole lot about guns but compared to the other few pistols I have shot I don't think its to bad for a striker fire pistol. My friend has a S&W Sigma (also a polymer framed striker fired pistol) and I like this gun and it's trigger alot more.

Now I have heard some say that they are having peening problem.

If you want to here someone talk more about the gun look up nutnfancy's SR9 shooting and reviews on youtube.

And thanks for you compliment on my shooting.
    My family dose a firework stand every year and ONE of the reasons I got this gun is because my job there is the nightwatchmen ( all I had in years past was a big stick I think this is a bit better lol) hopefully I don't have to shot any perps but if I HAD to I would not hesitate, I know I'm no pro by a long shot (pun intended) but it's good to know that I have enough skill to drop them if needed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  20. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The SR9 and the Sigma are in different brackets. The Sigma's an entry-level gun, and more comparable to the Ruger P-series than the SR9.

Jcash, I own an M&P9 Pro Series, and frequently shoot an XDm, and they're both excellent weapons. I've not had the chance to shoot an SR9, but Ruger's one of the best manufacturers out there, so it's bound to be good.