Finally took the AR build plunge.

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Rick1967, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I finally got this project started. I bought a stag arms striped lower. I installed a DPMS parts kit. I bought and instaled a Tapco 6 position stock last night. So I now have a complete lower.

I am looking for parts for an upper. I could just buy one. But what is the fun in that? Anybody got any upper parts they need to get rid of? I have a budget for it. It's not huge. But I want to get started. I want a flat top. I also want a 16 inch barrel. Bolt and carrier group. You get the idea right?

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

COngrats on the start of your build. I agree that you should build the upper as well rather than buying one. That is what I did. You will know that much more about the platform.

Oh, by the way. Pictures or it didn't happen:D

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

You're lower is the exact same as mine :p

4. Rick1967

Here's what I have so far.

5. Rick1967

I am wondering if anyone might have some left over parts that they took off to do an upgrade. I do not have anything for my upper. I think I am going to look for a left handed upper receiver and bolt. But if somebody has a righty that they want to get rid of I might be interested. I plan on letting my son shoot it too. He is right handed. I never had a left handed m16 when I was in the army...so I can work it out either way.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

???? :confused:

I am not seeing anything.

What do you "need" brother??

7. Rick1967

There was a photo of my complete lower on there when I left my house. I got to work and it was gone.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Huh? We got nothing now, but you need every component for an upper, yes??

9. Rick1967

Yup. The lower is complete. Even got a mag in it. But no upper or anything that goes on it.

I will repost the photo when I get home later.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay. We got a donation project going. What are you looking to build??

Oddly enough, we have a couple of donation projects behind the scenes in the Supporting Member area.

11. Rick1967

I am not going to be picky. I have a budget. But it is a little tight. I saw a complete upper on midwayusa.com for $399.00. That is going to be hard to beat. But I really wanted to build it myself.

I was hoping for a 16 inch barrel length. But if someone has a 20 inch that they took off. I would be interested if the price is right. Same thing with the receiver. Flat top would be nice. But I may buy something else if it is cheap.

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

being a lefty you may want to look at the STAG Arms lefty upper receivers. Oh and welcome to the club :cool:

13. Rick1967

Wow! I haven't shot the AR platform since I got out of the Army. That was in 1986! What an awesome rifle. I finished it today. I bought a complete upper. I couldn't help myself. I did some trading with Jimmy over at A Pawn.
    Anyway. Here is a pick of the finished rifle.

Attached Files:

14. Rick1967

I handloaded a few rounds just for a range trip. This was at 50 yards. I have a bipod. But I forgot to bring a chair. I was standing behind a normal height table and leaning over. I only have the flip up back up sight at this point. And I forgot to pick up a front sight tool.

So, 50 yards, standing in the mud, leaning over a table, body shaking...I think I did ok.

Attached Files:

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Good looking rifle,Rick.
    Now,Where the hell's our range report!!!!

Let us know how it does at the range.

I guess your last post beat me. Way to go,Rick.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  16. Rick1967

Um...You must have posted just after I finished typing the range report.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011