Finally told my parents....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Just got back home from my parents house for my sisters birthday dinner. While there, had a chance to talk to them about a decision I've made about my life. I had been tossing around the idea about joining the military and finally made up my mind. While unofficial at the current moment, I should be swearing in with the United States Marine Corps by the end of next week hopefully. Their reaction was better than expected. My dad was surprised it had taken me this long and asked why not navy (he's a navy officer) but fully supports me and my mom, while isn't fully supportive at the moment, understands and cried a lot. Overall though it was a lot better than I had thought

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Shag, All I can say is congrats, and GD bless....

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yeah, I think Mamas react like your Mom did but I guarantee you she will be very proud of you once the fact sinks in. Congratulations. You made a great choice in life for yourself.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Mine did. she also wouldn't speak to me for a month. I wish she didn't forgive me then. She sent me oranges every month. (*blush*), except I traded some of them for booze...

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Luckily she still talks to me. When my grandma finds out will be a different story :eek: but my dad and I both live by it's better to ask forgiveness than permission haha that's how I ended up with a motorcycle

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Word of advice,don't know how the budget is for the corp now,but when I tried to get in a couple years ago got stuck with a permanent disqual at MEPS for high frequency hearing in my left ear,something VERY common for recruits to get going through boot. It was just a bad time for me to get in and they wouldn't waive me. When you go to MEPS,if you don't pass ANY test,DO NOT take it again,and call your recruiter immediately! the MEPS personnel are there to disqualify you,your recruiter is there to get you in,and they know all the tricks to pass you through. I lost 88 pounds to get in coming out of high school,and while I didn't make it because of unfortunate circumstances,I'm hugely grateful for the experiences I had with my recruiters and the motivation it gave me to change my body and life.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Glad to hear it's working out for you Shagnasty.

8. The_Tank

The_Tank New Member

ShagNasty,
    Congratulations.

Semper Fi

9. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Good for you! Congrats.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shag,

Congratulations and God Bless! More young people today should have to be in the military. It is not all good for sure but it will rather break or make a person. And you gain some very valuable lessons that will aid you greatly in life's journey! I as wll as many here on the FTF are very proud of you!
    Good Luck!

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Thanks you guys! And a special thanks to Trip for his help and advice that led me to realize what I want to do for me

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Good luck with your chosen path! I think you will have some good company on it.

BTW, i'm glad this wasn't the "coming out of the closet" thread it looked like. :p

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  13. string1946

string1946 New Member

Congratulations Shag. You will no doubt be a better man for it. God bless you and may he watch over you and keep you safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Great!
    Best wishes and good luck.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Congrats Shag. Best of luck to you. Don't take your moms reaction the wrong way...she has an eye for squiddies. :)

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We sent a young boy to the Marines many years ago. The USMC return to us a very mature man 12 years later. good luck.:)

17. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Semper Fi - Marine green ain't cheap, just remember they can't kill or eat ya , if you pass the test welcome to the hood.

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Good luck. Just remember take it one day at a time. And make the best of it... it is and will be what you make it. And how much you put into it.... and. If you can't run 5 miles... you better start running!

19. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Congrats!

My mom cried when I left for the army too. It's no big deal that's what mothers do.

image-4290844366.jpg

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

huge congrats Shag!:D wow! you gonna be a Jarhead!:D

seriously, that is great and just know you have some members here that are proud of the decision you made to serve your country. :D