Finally time for a black rifle...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Miguel Span-Q, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Miguel Span-Q

Miguel Span-Q New Member

I've always thought of the 7.62x39mm round as a great multi-purpose cartridge.....30 caliber bullet, low recoil, PRICE, etc. But now I am in the market for a battle-quality black rifle. The last time I shot my friends S&W m&p 15, I was shocked that such a small caliber bullet would have that much recoil, not to mention the GIGANTIC size of the whole cartridge. Is there any good AR type rifles that utilize the 7.62x39? And which ones (out of the box) are the best for a inexpensive budget...or should I look for something in the popular .223 or .308? Please help school a guy...thanks!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd go 5.56 or .308 or just buy an ak if you really like the 7.63x39.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For my money you are getting a sub-par round in a platform designed for accuracy.

Inside 300 yards the 7.62 x 39 is deadly. Beyond that it has the ballistics of a flying aircraft carrier. :eek:

The AR platform in it's DI configuration is designed to be a more accurate rifle system than Uncle Mihkail's piston driven eastern bloc offering.

So with a 7.62 x 39mm AR-15 you are paying for accuracy that you aren't getting. In my mind anyways.

Now if you got an AK, it would be a lot cheaper and you would have the heavier short range bullet option.

If you want to take advantage of the AR platform, I would look at a wildcat like the 6.5 Grendel or something like that where you can still pack a whallop, but get distance out of the round as well.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV

JD

4. Miguel Span-Q

Miguel Span-Q New Member

Awesome advice...thanks!

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, don't just listen to me. Who the hell am I? :confused:

You might want to get a few more opinions. :p

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Q,

I am with JD! In my opinion he is right on, unless you just want to sling cheap lead! The AR platform is very versatile and has much better rounds ballistically to choose from. I have a 6.5 Grendel in an 18" Comp/Varmint Model and it is fantastic. But you should plan on loading your own. We have data available for you on that. Otherwise 5.56, 6.8 SPC and other calibers are better choices when it comes to accuracy and performance.

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I concur with the above posts. Why spend the money if you are set on the 7.62x39? The AK is a fine rifle for what it is designed for.

And as stated the 6.5 Grendel is a hard hitting round that has legs. If you are ok with the 5.56 or 6.8 SPC rounds, here is a link for uppers with everything but the BCG and charging handle at some damn good prices for Labor Day.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/labor-day-upper-madness.html?utm_source=Labor+Day+Sale+Part+1&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ar in 7.62x39 has issues. If you want an AR get a 5.56 or .223 Wylde.

If you really want a 30 cal get a 7.62x35 300 blackout.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

And a reloader. 1 in 10 gunshops maybe have .300 blk, 6.8 spc, etc. Less than that for 6.5 Grendel.

10. Miguel Span-Q

Miguel Span-Q New Member

ALWAYS listen the the hand-puppet my momma used to say:)

11. slog

slog New Member

Don't forget about ammo costs. 5.56 and .223 are more common and thereby cheaper, although I wouldn't call them "cheap." A 20 round box of decent ammo will run you a cool $15 to $20 for brass. The AK has the advantage of eating steel cased ammo on the regular. You don't want to shoot a lot of steel casings from the AR because the steel doesn't expand like the brass does, allowing gas to seep back into the chamber past the casing. This will end up sticking casings in the chamber, pulling the rims off and double feeding. Always go for brass. If you want to stock up on steel for SHTF that's fine, but just don't expect it to feed like magic after a few hundred rounds or less.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Interesting I have a black rifle that has only been cleaned 1 time and thats when it was new out of box , thats just my routine. It has had roughly 5800 rounds of mixed 62 gr and 55gr FMJ Tula steel cased $5.00 a box ammo and not been cleaned since, just well lubricated every outing , it is a XXXXing train wreck dirty and it has yet to let me down , no FTE, FTF, factory gas rings still in it . It just keeps on going and Im not going to touch it until it quits . Yes its not the most accurate ammo in the world but in all honesty its not any dirtier than the winchester white box ammo , it still hits 2-3" groups off hand , red dot @ 50 yards with this cheap sh!t. Use what you will but if your gun wont shoot steel time to purchase something that will . because in time of need it had better be able to eat everything you put in it including the cheap sh!t

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um....wut? Mil spec M855 and M193 ammo goes for about $0.31 to 35 cents a round. That's like $6.49 to $6.99 a box of 20. Brass cased. Full power.

.223 can be had a little cheaper about .30 a round.

If you are looking at soft point, hunting ammo or match grade ammo, sure that can run you about $0.75 a round or $15 a box, but then again you aren't comparing it to comparable 7.62x39 ammo.

BTW last class I took, my friend when through about 1k rounds or Wolf ammo, in one day. ( I was using pmc 55 gr fmj .223) Iirc he had 2 or 3 light primer strikes the whole day. No stuck cartridges, and a quick tap rack bang he was gtg. And no he wasn't hosing down his bcg with lube between every mag.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

About all I run in my M&P 15 is Tula. I can say I've never had a single problem. And I did not clean or lube it until I got home.

15. slog

slog New Member

Very few two AR's are the same. Search google. It's a stemming issue. My dad shoots wolf and his AR jammed up completely after only half a case (about 500 rounds). He didn't know how to clean it, so I opened it up, and the cam pin had been completely clogged with carbon. The bolt didn't even make it to the chamber.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just like everything else on the net you read about how someone had bad luck with it for every one of those 100 people never had a issue but people never post that. If yoir gun wont run steel you have a gun issue . Another instance. My bushmaster or dpms blew up. You see that crap all over the boards but how many do u see praising their stuff for it running flawless . Internet info is like a bad dream. You just can't wait for people to wake up . My savage bolt gun won't run tula or wolf but runs all brass just fine. Why? I have a gun that has really tight chamber tolerances and the steel doesn't contract enough to come out easily. Ammo problem? No gun problem but I will continue to shoot brass from it because it shoots gnats ass tight groups that I would never get with the cheap ammo anyway . It is a precision rifle not a battle rifle. I have 5 ARs all of them run steel without issue

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sounds like a dry run, maybe more lube would fix his problem

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

This might be the problem. I'm guessing if he did not know how to clean it then it most likely did not get cleaned between buying it and shooting it. "You always need to clean and lube a gun before you shoot it for the first time".

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Plus I can't speak for everyone but if it don't eat everything I feed it its going up for adoption.