FINALLY! Range Report for Kimber Custom II and Springfield XD9

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by SGT-MILLER, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I made it out to the range today to fire my two favorite sidearms in my meager inventory.

[​IMG]

This video pretty much sums it up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI1lGoF7iY"]YouTube - XD9 and Kimber[/ame]

Main points:

1. The Kimber 1911 is top quality!!! From now on, I will laugh hysterically if anyone ever compares a Glock, Springfield, or any other polymer wonder to a Kimber.

2. The FIRST round I fired out of my brand new Kimber was a bullseye! That speaks volumes for the quality of the weapon.

3. No malfunctions were encountered even though I was using cheapo Wolf brand 230 grain FMJ ammo.

4. My Springfield XD9 performed flawlessly as usual, and is now up to an official 1150 rounds with ZERO, that's right ZERO malfunctions. I will admit I am really finicky about my weapons, so they stay very clean. That may be the reason, but I think that also speaks volumes for the XD lineup.

5. These two sidearms are officially named as my Glock killers. If that offends any Glock people, I honestly don't care. These weapons are a cut above the rest, and they have both proven their worth to me.

I recommend everyone hear to at least test fire one of these weapons if they haven't done so.

P.S. In case some people missed it in the video, this is the picture of the very FIRST shot I fired out of my Kimber at 15 yards, offhand. POA/POI was dead on. That is true 1911 performance right there!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

DAMN!!!!
    That is impressive Sgt. That is damn impressive.

All hail the Glock Killers!!

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!! :cool:

JD​

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Thanks JD.

I invite all the members on this forum to check out my youtube channel (username is millerusaf). I only have a few basic videos on there, but I have a lot of favorites that are very, very informational, and worth the look.

I'm hoping to post up some better videos of the Kimber in action on my next range outing. Once I get more comfortable with it, I'll move the targets out to 25-35 yards, and give it a whirl.

I also challenge all of the Glock owners to post up their best targets at 15 yards!!!!!!!

.............yea........I went there.

The first official FTF Glock versus 1911 shoot off!!! Bring it!!!

:cool:

:D

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Very nice SGT. Nice gun and shooting. That is very impressive. I wish I was that friggin accurate on the first shot!

S.S.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Excellent shooting Sgt, damn good gun control, good stance. Center eye first shot, I am humbled by your skill. Screw them Glocks, your my hero, damn fine shooting! :)

Jack

6. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Consistency, with any weapon is always a plus. Some hot shooting there and I'd say that the bad guys would be in a world of hurt if they ever decide to mess around with you. Not just center mass...the center of center mass.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Thanks for the compliments. I am humbled.

The design of the 1911 has alot to do with it, though. That easy straight-pull 3-4 pound trigger makes a big difference in keeping those shots in the center of center mass.

I will state seriously that I don't want to purposely insult Glocks and Glock owners. Everything I have said is in good spirits, and I hope nobody gets too offended by it.

If you shoot really good with the Glock, then I encourage you to post up your targets here with a quickness.

In the end, it doesn't matter the brand so much. What matters is the shooter.

To each their own. That's what makes the firearms world interesting.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good shooting Sarge. Enjoy that pistola. :cool:

I also shoot 1911's more accurately than any other handgun.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You redeemed yourself as I read your first post, the first XD comment was questionable but I'll let it slide.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Nice shooting!! I am another who has found that the I shoot more accurately with a 1911!!

11. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

spittinfire posted:
    Which comment specifically?

:confused:

Are you talking about my statement about the XD running perfect after 1150 rounds?

12. spittinfire

No, this one....

1. The Kimber 1911 is top quality!!! From now on, I will laugh hysterically if anyone ever compares a Glock, Springfield, or any other polymer wonder to a Kimber.

was then redeemed by,

4. My Springfield XD9 performed flawlessly as usual, and is now up to an official 1150 rounds with ZERO, that's right ZERO malfunctions. I will admit I am really finicky about my weapons, so they stay very clean. That may be the reason, but I think that also speaks volumes for the XD lineup.

I think it's fairly clear to everyone that I'm an XD fan. They feel so good in my hand and I can grab and point my 45 and know what I'm hitting. After several thousand rounds thru it with no problems at all, I'm hooked.

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm a dedicated XD fan also. I love my XD, and I will not hesitate to defend them, BUT they are not even close to the 1911. No polymer handgun is. The 1911 trigger alone is light years ahead of any stock polymer trigger.

Now, when compared to other polymer pistols, like the Glock, I believe the XD is a cut above the rest. Springfield was thinking straight when they found the HS 2000 in Europe, and decided to import it under the XD name.

I've actually debated getting a Glock 19 (under military discount, which is hundreds of $$ less than standard retail), just so I can do a comparison between the two. Then I would do a comparison between the Glock 19 and the Hi-Point C9 just to piss people off....lol.

:D

14. spittinfire

I'm not fighting against the 1911. The linear trigger is something I'm going to have to overcome, I need more time with it.

15. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Yeah but,....can you hold it sideways while grabbing your crotch and displaying your gold tooth?

Seriously congrats, my best friend has a custom II and I'm totaly jelious, it shoots rings around my Colts.

I've had a few 1st round bullseyes before, just wasn't smart enough to quit shooting and go home,...........

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Wow that is impressive marksmanship on that target!

I am a glock owner but I take issue with your challenge, I could have a Kimber Custom II or a XD but I'm not nearly that good of a shooter so I know I won't match those results (maybe 5-6" groups firing at that speed, MAYBE). So my suggestion would be for you to find a Glock and take all 3 guns to the range. Then compare your targets.

Or mail me your Kimber and I'll shoot it and my Glock and post the results. I'll mail it right back to ya, promise. ;)

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Already owned and shot a few Glocks. I did not shoot even close to the level of accuracy that I do with a 1911. The grip angle/feel is what does it for me.

Of course, the challenge is meant to stir the pot a little. It was a small attempt at maybe getting a little forum competition going.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That gives me a hell of an idea Sarge.

Why don't we all give a side by side comparison and see how we all do?

Everyone goes to, or lives near, a range where they rent pistols. We all take our tack drivers, rent the polymer wonder, and shoot several mags of warm up.

Then fire off three full mags into one target with each pistol, two targets total. Then post the groupings to see who shoots best with their own weapon, and shoots best with the Wonderpistol.

This would also show, across the spectrum of the forum, what an average pistol group with the Glock is.

What do you guys think?

19. 1SmartAmerican

1SmartAmerican New Member

Excellent shooting and Kimber don't make no junk. One of the finest made, The Springfield is nice, but Kimber has the edge.