Finally ponied up and bought a brass catcher

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TylerDurden, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

My 10mm Witness really chucks brass into the next county. Literally throws it farther than my AK. I built a PVC frame and covered it with mesh to catch the brass and the pistol literally chucked it OVER the net if I tried to shoot from standing. I went ahead and bought one of these after being fed up with chasing brass across the desert and spending more time policing brass than shooting. Here's the review, if you care:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6P9PsgT-w"]Review link[/ame]

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have brass catchers for my Ar-15s and my PS90. Great time and frustration savers.

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

If you have a brass catcher you won't have an excuse for picking up all the cases around you.:D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no action scenes??

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I feel your pain.! I built one one out of two poly tarps and it enables me to practice quick shots from the holster , very kool though..! ;)

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

I should have posted video of me shooting with it, huh?

7. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

I tried that first. I built a frame from PVC pipe and zip tied mesh to it. The pistol launched the brass OVER the frame, even when I stood right next to it.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

correct sir.

9. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

Maybe I'll take some video of me shooting it next time and post a link to that in the current video.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I like the idea and would maybe use it on a rifle but wouldn't it put you "off balance" on a handgun? Brass is heavy, as that bag catches brass I think it would unbalance my grip. Does anyone have any problems with it bothering them while they aim or it giving one a 'lopsided' feel?

11. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

I guess it would if you tried to fill it up but I empty the bag every time I fill the magazine and it works well. It's not ideal, but it beats chasing brass around, I think.

Posted the requested action video:

[ame="http://youtu.be/dHql8ekjToU"]http://youtu.be/dHql8ekjToU[/ame]

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

cool. glad you are satisifed with it. seems to have a few minor issues. its not for me thats for sure. most all of my pistol shooting is for SD training and its not logical to have that attached while in my CCW holster, or would i want all that blocking my vision or hindering my firearm in a time of need.

seems for the target shooter it would work most of the time though

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I thought about getting one. Do you like the feel of it?

14. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

Yeah, of course there are some drawbacks, but for me it's worth it. It was a real pain recovering brass from my 10mm Witness before I got this. I do like to draw and fire and shoot while moving and the brass catcher would interfere with some of the training but I can still use it for most training that doesn't involve a light or holster. I do a LOT more draws at home than I do on the range, any way. It normally does not hinder your vision. The video above shows pretty much the worst conditions for the catcher: a fairly strong wind from right to left. You would obviously not carry the pistol with the catcher attached.

15. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

I do like the feel of it. Like I mentioned above, there are some unavoidable drawbacks but it's worth it overall, especially if you hand load and especially if you shoot at an unimproved range like I do. If you shoot at an improved range or a place with a lot less rocks, anyway, this would probably work better for you: http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Roller-Nut-Harvester/dp/B000FNK8K4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365005643&sr=8-2&keywords=pecan+roller

[​IMG]

16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I have one but I never use it.

17. TylerDurden

TylerDurden New Member

You have a pecan roller? Does it not work well?