finally handgun hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cblowe13, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I finally picked up my deer gun. I've been wanting this for a long time. .44 mag raging bull!!!!!!!

image-1537315144.jpg

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice. Congrats.

3. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Thank you! I can't go to sleep for looking at it!

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Any handgun hunters here? I'm just trying to challenge myself but keep it within a kill shot range. I will NEVER take a shot no matter how big unless I know I will drop the deer.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. lucznik

lucznik New Member

I love handgun hunting. It is a blast! (pun intended)

The trick is to keep your shots within the range you are actually competent in and to take only shots that you are very sure about. But, then again, these same principles apply equally to rifles, muzzle loaders, and archery equipment as well.

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Taken any whitetail down with a revolver?

7. lucznik

lucznik New Member

No.

I grew up in Utah and now live in SW Wyoming. No white tails at all in the former and very, very few in the later.

I have killed a few pronghorn antelope with my revolvers. I have tried on Mule Deer as well but I haven't found one I was willing to drop the hammer on.

I just picked up a .44 Mag last September and hope to kill an elk or two this year with it.

Here's one of my pronghorn...

image-2601090570.jpg

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk. I hoped to shoot an Elk last year. But never saw one. I would never take a shot at an elk from more than 50 or 60 yards. I want to hunt...not run around wounding animals. I wish you the best of luck. If you get one please share the story with us later.

9. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Nice pronghorn. I've always wanted to hunt one but have not had the chance yet. What kind of range were you shooting at?

I've been deer hunting here in Ohio with my 44 Mag Blackhawk (7.5 inch barrel) for about 14 years now. Numerous deer taken, its plenty of gun to do the job. Take a look at the 200 and 240 grain bullets, anything heavier is vast overkill on anything as thin skinned as a whitetail deer. I use Speer gold dots in 200 grain as my hunting load. Don't know if these are still available, my stash is many years old at this point, but will probably outlast my lifetime.

Always take your shots in your comfort range. If your not comfortable, let the shot pass. That said I've never had to trail a wounded deer, taken with the 44mag. They tend to drop where they are shot. Concentrate on making your first shot count and you'll do just fine. Good luck. :D

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would be willing to take a much longer shot at a deer. Elk are much tougher. It is like shooting at a horse. They are no fun to track.

11. dwmiller

Just asking. I have taken deer at 75-100 yards with my gun. I practice at this range and I'm comfortable shooting off handed this far. I might consider taking 125 yard shot off of a good rest, but this would be my personal maximum, and everything else would have to be perfect.

I've never hunted elk either, sounds like a blast though. I did shoot a bear in U.P. Michigan 2 years ago. same load did the job with full body cavity pass through. 65 yards quartering away and broke the off side shoulder blade on its way out. Amazing power from such a small package.:D

12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Sweet stories guys. I'm so excited about my first season with a revolver. I would like to paint the front sight orange or some color any suggestions? And also I know one post was talking about Speer being used. What ammo do you guys think is the best used or what do you use and grain?

13. dwmiller

Take a look at Williams fire sites. They beat paint hands down. If I had to use paint it would be temporary, and most probably white. Unless I was shooting over snow, then it would be black. Think best contrast to your background while hunting.

14. dwmiller

Works magic from a 7.5 inch Blackhawk revolver. Very clean burning load and little smoke and flash. I settled on this load quite a few years ago and have never seen the reason to change it. I load to 28.0 grains and a chrono measured 1750 FPS from my gun. Velocity spread is appx +-20 fps for a 10 shot group. Works great down to about 10 deg temps, colder than that and I'll stay inside. :)

Bullet Weight (Gr.) 200 GR.
    Manufacturer Speer Gold Dot JHP
    Powder Hodgdon H110
    Bullet Diam. .429"
    C.O.L. 1.600"
    StartGrs. 27.5
    Vel. (ft/s) 1708
    Pressure 29,000 CUP
    MaxGrs. 28.5
    Vel. (ft/s) 1806
    Pressure 37,800 CUP

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Lucznik. Wyoming has out standing White Tail hunting in the Black Hills, as well as central Wyoming. The White Tail population has grown too much in many parts of the state. :)

16. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I appreciate the help but I know nothing about reloading! Is this anything near the factory box of Speer? What factory load would you choose?

17. dwmiller

No the standard Speer Gold Dot is only •Muzzle Velocity: 1075 fps for the factory load. The Load that I quoted is 1750 fps, huge difference in energy.

Sorry you don't reload. :eek: Any friends nearby at the local club who could help you out? It is a worthwhile thing to learn if you are going to shoot a lot of ammo. My cost per box of 50 on this load is about $12. Kind of makes you think....

For a factory hunting load the old black talon loads were hard to beat. Remington and Winchester both make a hardball load in 240 grains that many people swear by. Winchester makes a razorback hollowpoint that a non-reloading friend of mine swears by.

Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 200 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point comes as close to my load as anything I can find from the factory loads. •Muzzle Velocity: 1490 fps •Muzzle Energy: 1008 ft. lbs

Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 225 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding also looks pretty good. •Muzzle Velocity: 1410 fps •Muzzle Energy: 993 ft. lbs.

Both these are a little on the pricy side but offer high terminal performance, like stop a charging bear level of energy without an extreme pass through. Hope this helps.

Just found this

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 210 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point, Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps, Muzzle Energy: 980 ft. lbs. This is listed as handgun Hunting ammo on the box. Very close to my load.:)

All This info quoted from midways website...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Thanks. He's not huge but, I'm pretty satisfied nonetheless.

This one was taken at just shy of 50 yds.

19. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Yes, I know. I just don't get much of a chance to go up there to often. I'd love to go and get one but, in almost 3 decades of hunting I've never had a chance at a white tail.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have had good luck on Shirley Mtn. The White Tail first showed up there in the 1970s. I made the first recorded kill of a WT on Shirley Mtn. :)