Finally got to shot the 45 Colt Vaquero

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by mesinge2, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I skipped work today and went to the range.

[​IMG]

I finally got to shoot my new-to-me 45 Colt Vaquero. I brought Federal 225 grain JSP loads, some Winchester 225 grain Silvertips, and the new Winchester 225 grain PDX1 loads. The recoil of all the loads is identical. If you loaded the chambers randomly I could never tell which was which. As far as accuracy, I am shocked! I always like my 5 1/2" barrel 357 Magnum Vaquero but this 4 5/8" 45 colt is a damn tack driver!

Below are the first six rounds of the PDX1 load at 12 yards after some practice with the Federal load. Why 12 yards you ask? Its because I couldn't get the target to stop at ten. It kept going past that. :confused:

You can see me shake my head in annoyance when I throw one away. [​IMG]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjRs143bXU]YouTube - ‪.45 Colt Ruger Vaquero 4.625 inch Barrel at 12 yards.wmv‬‏[/ame]

[​IMG]

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Great looking 6 gun. Mighty fine shootin too!!!

3. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice indeed. :cool:

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

That's some awesome shooting! Looks like that Vaquero is sighted in dead on for you with those loads.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Great shootin'! She's a good looker and good shooter ;).

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Nice Vaquero, nice shooting too! The target...he dead! ;)

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Good looking wheelgun! :) :cool:

9. FZ1911

FZ1911 New Member

nice six shooter...i have the same one in .44 mag. like it for bout 12 shots then back to the 9mm haha. nice shooting

10. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

beautiful gun and great shooting

11. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Love the gun and really good shooting!!:)

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Ruger single-actions are GREAT! They shoot straight, handle recoil beautifully, and will last forever. I have several, .22 convertible Single-Six's, .44 Magnum Super Blackhawks, and Blackhawks and Vaqueros in .41 Magnum and .45 Colt. Great for hunting, camping, hiking, and good ol' plinking. .45 Colt Blackhawks are great for deer and hawg. They don't please everyone, though. One day over 20 years ago I was at a range shootin' a .45 Colt Blackhawk and my now ex-wife was there to make sure I was really at the range, and not somewhere she didn't want me to go to, and the rangemaster made a comment about the virtues of a .45 Colt, intended to refer to target-shooting, ".45 cal makes nice round holes". He meant the holes were easy to see. She thought he meant they make nice round holes in people, and she was greatly offended. She wouldn't go to the range with me any more, which was a big plus. :)