Finally got to shoot some of my reloads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Boyerracing343, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Well as many of you read my previous thread, i had finished up my first batch of 45 acp using speer 230 gr FMJ and Hornady 230gr XTP hp's. I used CCI large pistol primers, and 4.3 grs of titegroup.

I went to the range yesterday and shot 150 rounds of my reloads. 100 fmj's and 50 hp's. I was very satisfied with the performance. I am far from a professional pistol shooter but I was shooting about 3-4'' groups center mass at 12yards. ( I know this is nothing special but hey its a good improvement from what i started with when i shot a pistol for the first time about 11 months ago) I will try to post some photos up on my targets this evening after work.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Congrats!! Loading ammo really opens up the types of firearms you can consider due to cheaper ammo costs.

If i didnt load my own i would prolly not have half the guns i do.

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

Great success!!!!

Good to hear your home rolls worked without a hitch and that your weapon came home in one piece and you didnt make a trip to the ER. ;)

4. Boyerracing343

I was so excited to find myself pleased with my results. I can't wait to load up some more and continue hitting the range with much less damage done to my wallet.

Time for me to order some more 45acp bulllets, I can't wait to try out various brands and bullet weights to see what suits myself and my firearm better. I have already got the reloading bug and I see it being a life long hobby I hope to one day share with my own children one day in the future.

Next time I promise a better range report with photos and a more detailed post as well! :D

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

I would check into some gun shows for your components...i think you will find even less damage done to your wallet.

I need powder for some 45acp loads, large pistol primers. I also need .44-240 gr JHPs and 125 gr .357s. So i think i will wait and head to the Indy 1500 for them...i found KILLER deals there the last time i went.

6. Boyerracing343

I got my bullets from midway and they were a little pricey but not terrible. I did though get my powder (titegroup) and two bricks of primers from the local gun show though. I think I spend 18.99 on a pound of titegroup, and 29.99 for each brick. (large pistol and large rifle)

Luckily one of the local gunshops has a decent selection of powder and are always willing to order other items if they don't have them it stock. I just wish the fairgrounds down the street from my house had the gun show more than once every 2 months or so.

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

as much as i love midwayusa, as much as i like to shop locally, i have found the gun show is the best place for deals. Being a frugal ( i dont like the word cheap) kinda guy and being dirt poor one must find the absolute best deals when and where possible. I find its worth the money to just bide my time for the next gunshow. The local one at the colisieum sucks at best...so i tag along with some buds and make the 2 hour sojourn to Indy.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  8. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

$19.00 is not bad for a lb of powder. at the last gunshow i went to there were a ton of ammo sellers but only 1 powder/component seller,his prices were outrageous-$26.00 for lb of bullseye,$18.00 for 100 win 55gr FMJ 22cal bullets. gunshows arent always the best deal. hornady,speer,and sierra are #1 brands and carry a price to match. very good but i think not necessary for a pistol shooting paper for practice. do a good net search,you can find a lot of sellers with very good deals.

9. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Ain't it grand to make your own and get to blow'em up too. :p

As for components, I agree that gun shows are a good place to look. However, I have found that prices will be very different from one to another. Check out what the prices are at your home source before buying at a gun show.
    Midway is great and has many items that just can't be found at most places. The killer is anything that you get stuck with that stupid 'Haz Mat' fee.

Enjoy your loads.

OSOK

10. noylj

noylj Member

I have been told that plated bullets are "best" for shooting steel plates. When I shot steel plates, I was more than happy with my cast bullets. I believe in shooting either jacketed bullets from Montana Gold or Precision Delta, shooting my own cast bullets, or shooting commercial cast bullets from mastercastbullets.com or Missouri Bullets.
    Currently, plated bullets cost the same or more than the two referenced sources for excellent jacketed bullets.
    Moly-Kote bullets, such as Precision Bullets, Bayou Bullets, and Black Bullets International, are edging very close to the cost of plated/jacketed.
    I find best accuracy with 200gn L-SWCs of the H&G #68 design. I haven't shot a 230gn in years.
    TiteGroup burns rather hot and tends to "smoke" with lead bullets. I found AA2 was best for light target loads and AA5 was best for hardball loads. Solo 1000 is looking very good for light target loads also.