Finally got an AK, sorta...

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by JonM, Jan 14, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

I had been looking for a decent PSL for a bit as im quite fond of the 7.62x54r and wanted a semi-auto for that round. all the various PSL ive come across in shops and gunshows werent very well put together, or had mismatched wood with poor fit, or had been abused too much for my tastes.

i noticed one of the members here had one for sale and after a few q/a pm's and some close up pics i bought it. i want to say thanks to JPattersonnh its a FANTASTIC rifle in mint new unfired condition!! the innards were still coated in cosmoline. took me 2 days to get it all clean. had to completely remove all the pieces from the reciever and the wood off the gas tube to get the cosmo out. all parts are matching which is rare for a PSL

[​IMG]

i was going to take it out this weekend but i cant find my rcbs single stage shell holder for the 762x54r :( had it a few weeks ago now its gone *sigh* so it will have to wait till i find it.

it came with 3 mags and a 4x pso scope. im pretty impressed with the scope. the glass is clear and bright, it has the rubber eyepiece which is adjustable to achieve the correct eye relief. eye relief is super critical to getting the most out of soviet style scopes. a lot of folks dont understand the purpose of the rubber eyepiece some think its a sunshade others a dust cover. what it really is for is to get quick under stress repeatable no guess eye relief from shot to shot. it does have a sunshad and its a retractable one built into the scope itself. the next two pics show it extended and retracted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the trigger on this one is a two stage military trigger and unlike every other PSL ive come across its very crisp on the 2nd stage. i would say its on par with the RRA 2 stage NM trigger. its a few pounds heavier but every bit as crisp. i would describe it as glass rod breaking good.

another cool feature is it has the bolt hold open on last shot fired that only comes on a few PSL models from what i understand. you can see the tab on the back of the mag that holds it open on the last shot

[​IMG]

overall im really impressed. cant wait to get some good ammo made and give it a go.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Wow...great lookin' rifle, man!

That's great info on the scope as well, I didn't have a clue that's what that was for...or that it had a "telescoping" integral sunshade.

Man, that barrel is longer than a semi truck!

Congrats...

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!

It's a beauty. Enjoy that new gun. Isn't it fun to find exactly what you are looking for? ;)

Tuck it in bed between you and your wife tonight. She won't mind. Hahaha

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. its 24" long quite a few people cut them to 20" and it reportedly improves accuracy and decreases heat build up reducing verticle stringing. one other thing i forgot to add but ill go re-edit is its got a last shot bolt hold open!!

its already spent an evening in the bedroom!! loaded of coarse!! lol!!

5. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

NICE!! You are gonna love it. Mine gets more range time than any other rifle I own. They are just so darn much fun to shoot.

Only thing wrong with my Romak III, (PSL, FPK) is that I should have bought two of them, they are really that good. I might have to find another one yet. ;)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll have to get one one day. If for nothing else, its in one of my favorite chamberings.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like that a lot. Does anyone make an AK in x54?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Other than the variants of the above PSL and Dragunov platform, I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The psl is an ak some of the parts interchange with the wasr ak. I believe only romania makes em and sells the parts kits to american importers who put them together. From my research the psl is the only semi chambering the x54r otner than the svt40. There is the chinese ndm and soviet tiger both are basically dragunovs and the dragunov itself. All three are 2000+ even for poor condition

Psl's are also called dragunov and fpk sometimes mixing all three names depending on the importer. The one i have is a tennesee gunworks which seem to be the better ones. It is stamped psl/fpk by tgi Every now and then aim surplus brings some in. Now that we are out of iraq there may be more part kits available to import as the demand goes down.

The other option is to buy a beater and have it re-built by one the ak conversion companies. Or hunt around for one in good shape. There are a lot out there. Ive seen em sell in poor condition for as low as 300. I was getting ready to get one and have it revamped when i saw jpattersonnh was
    Selling his.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I really like it Jon.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wish either Dragunovs wernt so expensive, or the PSL was based off one and not a AK.. :( I want a gun from all the major Russian designers!
    I already have a Simonov (SKS), my next two: Tokarev (SVT-40), and a Dragunov (SVD), then after that ill worry about the Kalashnikov (AK)... I would love Simonov's other design, the AVS-36, its chambered in the 7.62x54r, but there very rare...

Why can I never like the easy and cheap versions of guns... :confused::(

Love the gun, Jon... Im jealous...

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would love a real svd also but i just cant justify forking out 8000$+ for a semiauto :(

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Your PSL's really making me want that Tigr I seen last time I was at the gun show.. it has the shorter barrel, but the guy wanted $2,000....

I just listed my '03 and '95 in the classified section... Thanks Jon!! :mad::(;):p

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

So, the shorter barrels are better??

Is there any issues with ammo? Like only being able to shoot certain types or weights? Any M1 Garand type issues?

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful rifle!
    I always wanted to see one with a bull barrel.
    I wonder if that bull barrel on classicarms.us could be made to fit? It seems they may be sold out, but they were made for the Czech UK59 machine gun, allegedly.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

supposedly from what ive read chopping 4" off doesnt do anything but increase accuracy decrease heat generation and doesnt affect the ammo you can use. PSL are very overgassed which is the main reason you cant go over 150grains without tearing the trunion up. the barrel twist also limits you to lighter weight loads.

both the svd and psl are designed around the 147-150grain bullet at 2750fps out of a 24" barrel. chopping it reduces pressure exerted on the gas piston because the bullet is spending much less time in the barrel.

the main benefit in accuracy gain is the reduction in vertical stringing from heat buildup.

i doubt it as you still need to get the gas block down to the gas port and there isnt a whole lot of aftermarket gas blocks.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

So does that mean that you can chop the barrel and use a full house load, like 180 to 203 grain?

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Awesome... Thanks Jon! I think Im gonna have to get my hustle on.... ;)

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

no, those bullet weights will still beat the snot out of it and the barrel twist is wrong for those weights. i think its like a 1:12.5" twist.

it isnt a true hunting rifle altho there are some decent hunting rounds for it in the 147-150 range with softpoints.

im going to treat it the way i treat my garand and stick with the weights its designed for.

if you were willing to take the risk i guess you could as there are a lot of builders out there that can make new trunions and recievers if you dont mind tearing one up and paying for the repairs. its not gonna kaboom or anything but you would need to keep an eye on the reciever and trunion for wear and tear

i would feel comfy using the 150grn loads on anything in north america that you can use 308 0r 30-06 on. the x54r is an excellent deer round

once you go above the weight and/or change the speed you cant really use the reticle and elevation bdc knobs. the pso scopes are desiigned to work with 147-150grn at 2750fps.

you could get a diffrent mount or just forget about the bdc function.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well heck, I just looked at milsurp ammo, for some reason I was thinking it was around 180 grain, but it seems that it's more closer to the 145-150. I think it was the 203 grain silver bear that for some reason was throwing me off.

Is your's romanian? I looked at one just a little while ago, but the description the seller gave kind of scared me "beefed up and reinforced at all the high risk areas" didn't sound to confidence inspiring.

Considering it's in one of my favorite chamberings, and I already know about how cheap the ammo is, I'm going to be seriously looking into one of these.

Now I've added yet another gun to the list to interfere with me wanting a 1911.
    Colt 1911
    PSA AR
    AK
    PSL
    CZ 52

Seems like the closer I get to the tax return, the more confused and sidetracked I get. I may just have to stop with this forum for a while, you guys keep giving me ideas.