Finally got a .30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by aandabooks, Jul 2, 2011.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've had the .30-06 on my list of caliber guns I would like to own for a longtime. Unfortunately, I didn't get the one that I really want. That would be my deceased grandfathers 1941 Winchester Model 70.

Here is what I brought home today. Interarms Mark X with a Bushnell Sportview scope on it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks CA357 for encouraging me to go get it. I had looked at it at a pawn shop a couple weeks back. Went back yesterday and asked what their best price was. $250 OTD. Almost couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.

Just one question: How do you get the bolt out? Tried the normal way of pulling the trigger and pulling out on the bolt. It doesn't come out that way.

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Is there a magazine in there for a few rounds, or is this rifle single-shot?

Congratulations! .30-'06 is on my very short list.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Just one question: How do you get the bolt out? Tried the normal way of pulling the trigger and pulling out on the bolt. It doesn't come out that way.[/QUOTE]

I believe there is a lever just under the rear left scope ring screw that you pull out while trying to remove the bolt.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Internal mag. Should hold 4. I don't have any .30-06 ammo yet. Going to have to pickup a few boxes.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I believe there is a lever just under the rear left scope ring screw that you pull out while trying to remove the bolt.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed kind of a block there. I didn't want to go yanking and pulling on stuff. Figured I'd ask first and potentially save myself some headaches.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yup, just pull the front part of that block doodad out and hold it out and you'll be able to remove the bolt.

Look at the left side of the receiver and tell me what it says. Is there an oval that says Manchester, England or is CZ spelled out?

You bought a heck of a good quality rifle for the money.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Nice gun!

One of my favorite calibers, too.

8. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

It says: Alexandria Interarms Virginia

BTW, I got the bolt out. Now I've got to go get a decent scope. The Bushnell that's on it is a 4x fixed mag scope. Not going to cut it at 300 yards.

10. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

The Interarms Mark 10 is an excellent action. I would clean the bore
    thoroughly before shooting. Kroil works really well.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think you did quite well with that purchase. Congrats! Can we expect a range report in the near future?

12. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Yes it will be OK on the 4X scope for that distance. Better would be 3 to 9. Leave it on the lower powers, and go upward if you need it. Unless you are a scope user, the higher magnification end, may give you problems finding your target in a lesser field of view. However if you shoot with one eye into the scope and the other along side of it on the target it's pretty easy to over come that.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Are you going to tell me if this is good or bad? You got me curious since it doesn't say either of what you thought it would say.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

wow.that rifle looks just like my .308. i didnt think my rifle was that old but maybe it is. you would never know it

Attached Files:

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Books

The Interarms Mark X is a very fine rifle. And congrats! The action is like a Mauser action. The Magazine is internal and the has the Drop Plate in front of the trigger guard with a latch. For Gators question it does have a lever on the left rear side of the receiver that hinges out slightly to remove the bolt. We had one just like it on the SWAT team years ago in 308, and it was extremely accurate up to three rounds and then would throw the fourth off a little due to the barrel heating up and getting hot. But the three rounds were an MOA group.
    Nice Piece you have there!:D

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Congraduations on the new rifle. 30-06 is one of my favorite calibers. I like to use Hornady SST bullets in mine when ever I want a little more power. Their about $30 bucks a box but will make the bullet fly a little flatter (not completely sure wether it was me or the bullet but it hit targets about 2-3 inches higher than regular winchester bullets) and will make it hit harder. Just a suggestion.

PS. Despite what the box of hornady sst says, It does increase recoil, I had a sore shoulder that proved it.

Enjoy the rifle

17. CA357

Books, some early Mark X's were sent to England and I think they're marked Whitworth, that's all. The Mark X's are being imported by Remington and someone else right now. Apparently they don't have the fit and finish the older ones have such as ours do.

The Remington 798 is the same action with different bottom metal. Here's some info from Chuck Hawk's: Remington Model 798 and 799 Rifles (Rem. 798, Rem. 799)

BTW, do you have a manual? If not: Interarms Mark X Bolt Action Rifle

18. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Thanks for the manual. The rifle did not come with one.

Since I was able to get the bolt out and take a real good look at the bore and chambering, I'm not entirely sure that the rifle has ever been fired. There is absolutely no residue anywhere on the gun and there is not even any scuff/wear marks on the chamber or the face of the bolt.

19. CA357

Cool beans. :cool:

20. Wambli

Wambli Member

$250 is a GREAT deal on a fine sporter that is of much better quality than anything else that is selling in that price range new today!!! Excellent gun in a great chambering!