Finally, Finally, Got That Remmie Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by gandog56, Apr 28, 2012.

1. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

But I finally got the Remington Mosin Nagant. And looks like I got it before Bubba got his stinking fingers on it. Paid way too much, but I've been trying to find an unaltered one for a long time.

[​IMG]

2. orangello

orangello New Member

A Mosin Nagant rifle by Remington? Enlighten me please.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Czar needed more rifles then their arsenals could produce, So the French and U.S. lended a hand. Remington created the cartridge.. Yes the 7.62x54r is an american cartridge. Remington produced rifles and most were not delivered as the revolution of 1917 happened.

4. towboater

towboater Active Member

Cool. I hope to get one someday.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I would think the Remingtons would have great quality; how hard are they to find/buy?

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I saw one online gunsamerica about a month ago. In fair shape not great by any means. They were asking around $300 if I remember correctly.
    I would think they are not that easy to come by.

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Very nice score!! I have read about them and never seen one. Finding a gun that old that is unaltered is a wonderful thing. The fastest way to depreciate any mechanical equipment is to "customize" it.

8. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

There were TWO American manufacturers. Remington, and New England Westinghouse. Unfortunately Bubba got to my NEW first. He chopped the barrel and put on some hand whittled stock that broke the second time I fired it. At least the Remmie I bought looks pristine.

9. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Then to top it out, I also got a M38 with all matching numbers. I know THIS one belongs here. So here's Mosin #11. an Izzy 1942

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All this, but it is still counterbored.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Congrats. I have been wanting a Remington too, but have never found one that had not been sporterized, or beaten to hell.

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The Russians ordered some 3 million of these from Remington and Westinghouse. They of course were unable to pay for all of them. The American Taxpayers had to buy these up for $30 bucks each. Remington and the British owned Westnghouse would have shut down. The U.S. Military used these for Natl. Guard Etc. I have seen these marked U.S. Property with the Ordinace Bomb markings. Many of these were rechamabered to 30-06. In the 1920s they were sold off for $3 dollars each. :(

12. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

If they were unmodified and $3 and I was old enough and had the bucks then......................

And if pigs had wings they would fly!

13. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

By the looks of those hangars that is a Spanish civil war rifle.

14. texaswoodworker

It was made towards the end of WW1 Some were actually given to a few American troops since we got stuck with them.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/US-Mosin-Nagants.asp

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Is that still a M91?? I almost bought a Remmy Mosin but it was updated to 91/30 specs....

Id really rather have one of those Winchester "Mosins"!! ;)

16. texaswoodworker

That Winchester wouldn't happen to have the model number M1895 would it? ;):D