Finally bought a Mini-14

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Quentin, May 14, 2014.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Finally... Finally bought a Mini-14

I've had the Ruger Mini-14 on my "to buy" list forever (well, since the mid-1970s) but something else always came up to derail me. Last time I was real serious about getting a Mini-14 I got an AR instead.

But it's remained something I wanted - mainly in lieu of an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and M14/M1A. I love those rifles but for me the smaller Mini-14 and the .223/5.56 caliber make a lot of sense. In fact the Mini-14 is about the size of the M1 Carbine but is chambered in a true rifle caliber not something more fitting of a pistol. The Garand and M1A would be great but honestly I don't need a full size 10-pound battle rifle. I was issued the M14 most of my 3 years in the Army but liked the smaller M16 I had in Vietnam much better. So the Mini-14 is a better fit for me, one I'll actually take out, carry and shoot. I did think about the Mini-30 but already have an AK and SKS. I just wanted the Mini-14 instead.

Anyway ... today at Walmart I found a nice 582 series Ranch Rifle with wood/blue and two 5-round magazines for $699 and couldn't pass it up! I have followed prices lately and that isn't a bad price except I wish it came with two 20-round mags instead, kinda surprising since Idaho doesn't have capacity limits on magazines. Oh well, I do like the flush fit of the 5-rounders so now have to check out CDNN and CTR for Ruger 20-round mags.

Lately the Minis I've seen locally seemed to be the tactical versions but I have the AR already so wanted to keep the Mini-14 more sporting looking. I got to choose between two they had in stock so picked the one with nicer wood.

So, new member of the club! And yeah, I know I've gotta get a picture up soon! :D

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I had a Mini 14 back in the 80's. Sold it when I graduated from college for some get on down the road of life money.

The current Mini's are much nicer than the one I sold. To mount a scope you had to remove the "peep" sights on the rear and add a big hunk of steel for the scope to clamp onto.

Enjoy your new shooter.

3. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

You stink lol....only because I paid way more than that for my 580 series stainless steel mini 14 during the panic after Newtown. I feel no shame though, because I love the gun. It runs great no matter what ammo I use. Such a great little handy rifle. I love it.

Attached Files:

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, that was a rough time to buy! But the shelves were bare and it didn't look like you could ever find another one. Today, they had two Minis and a whole bunch of ARs. Very well stocked with rifles of all kinds. Last week I couldn't find a Mini-14 though, even at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. My closest Walmart didn't have them either but today I was passing another so stopped in. Glad I did!

Nice looking Mini! Mine looks the same except for blue instead of SS.

I'll start out with iron sights but will have to look at the included rail and rings. I might want to play with a red dot later.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. FernandoTheCommando

Same here in regards to the rings. In thinking of grabbing a Nikon pro staff 2x-7xjust to mess around with.

6. FernandoTheCommando

And btw congrats! That's great that they have come down in price! I've been thinking about another AR or a mini 30. I'd like a new ar, but I don't have anything in 7.62x39

7. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Sell it quick. You will get ideas for it and then 1 won't be enough and then....

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I hear ya! But don't plan on upgrading much, just a sling and I'll probably move a RDS over from an AR to see how I like that. Honestly though, I want it to stay like a mini version of the M14 I was issued in 1966.

I did order three Ruger 20-rd mags from CDNN. They're a little over $27 which isn't bad. Thought about the 30-rd but it's about $10 more and I like the look of the 20. They also had 10-rd Ruger mags for $29. (Seems odd to charge more for 10s than 20s! A little slap in the face to folks in ban states that can't go over 10 rounds.)

One reason it took me so long to get a Mini-14 was for the same money you can get a real M1 Garand from the CMP. And the M1 Carbine was available for decent prices until lately. The M1A/M14 is twice as much. I knew some day I'd get one of the four and couldn't ignore the Mini-14 looked so much like the M1 Carbine and a handier version of the M14.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Register your warranty card on line with Ruger and you will get 20% off accessories. Mine has the Ultimak forward rail in place of the top hand guard. It allows you to mount a scout scope or red dot forward of the receiver which makes it easier for field stripping. Also known to increase accuracy.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Quentin welcome to the Mini world!! I've had mine since 1991. It's been through a few different configs. Started as a Wood Ranch with a stainless barrel. Moved it to a Tapco and then an older ATI which is still on it, with the Ultimak rail, and an ok Bi-pod. I have lots of 20,30, and even 5-40 rd. Mags. My next pick up for it will be to take the weaver 3-9x40 off it and put the Burris AR prismatic( either 332 or 536) on it,..
    You will want to get a replacement Gas check(block) I have the Accu-Check, but there are others,..
    Most recently I changed the Pistol grip, by putting on a rubber absorption overgrip.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. sandog

sandog Member

Quentin, congrats. Time for a pic of the new baby.

Attached Files:

12. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

Congrats on the new gun , let us know how it runs. Like Sandog said, lets see some pics.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks guys! It's a nice rifle. I can't get it out this weekend but soon will. Probably for the best because I'll have my 20rd mags before I take it out. Five round mags would get old fast! :D

14. kuntreebouy

kuntreebouy New Member

I owned a 181series for a cple months, I paid 400 for it and sold it for 800, I got it off a guy hard up for cash during the gun craze , got it home and it wouldn't cycle steel at all, [ I think it was racsist since it was made during our dispute with motha russia ] it ran brass fine but Russian steel would stovepipe, put it online and doubled my cash real fast, waited on things to calm down and got a keltec su16c, id like to get another mini [newer mod of course ] but its not in the budget for a while, I gotta wait on 3 boys to grow up and get out before I can start a real gun collection

15. DrFootball

Is that Kel-Tec any Good?? I have heard mixed reviews...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. FernandoTheCommando

Doc which kel-tec? I've got mixed opinions about kel tec. It's almost like Taurus with the whole "some guys love it, some guys hate it. I've got a decent amount of experience with a kel tec su-16. It's like a kel tec version of an Ak/ar-18/mini 14 because its gas piston operated and it's got a reciprocating charging handle. It shot well and was pretty accurate. My only complaint was that it felt cheap and the front fiber optic site was almost...well...almost pink. Easily remedied I'm sure. Did i say it felt cheap? Probably because it only weighs 5 pounds roughly lol. Well, since I'm not sure if this is the gun you're asking about, ill stop short. If this IS the gun you're asking about, here is a link to a review that is very well done http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/18...s_and_Now_Updated_w__a_Link_to_Videos___.html

17. DrFootball

No that's the one- SU 16 . One of our friends has one because he could not afford an "AR" or a Mini, but wanted a semi auto 223.....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. FernandoTheCommando

It's a neat rifle. Like I said it shot well and was fun. I considered one before I bought the mini 14 but i just love the history behind the Garand style action in the mini. My buddy has the su16 and we used to shoot it all the time. Honestly, if he was willing to sell it to me for a good price I'd probably buy it......after my next AR of course haha. He has the first version and I know they've made quite a few improvements since then. Keltec is hit or miss for me. They scared me with all the problems I heard with the pf9 and ksg shotgun. But, I'm not one to judge before I've actually had one in my hands and ran some rounds through it.

19. DrFootball

I have never bought any of their stuff new. I got a P3AT from a friend who didn't like it, in pieces in a ziplock bag. I spent an hr a day for about 10 days assembling and disassembling it until I got it to feed ammo. Since I currently have no other 380's and he only had 11 rounds left( which he had given me) I bought some to test it. It runs, but it Jumps more then my LC9 or my S&W439. My wife can't hang on to small guns that jump like that, so we sold the 32 derringer and the FEG walther copy ( we had 2)....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Welcome to the Ruger Mini 14 carbine militia !!!

Attached Files: