Finally a member of the build club.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Troy Michalik, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Yes, yes I am.

Started with a Del-Ton lower and then bought a 20" kit and made a few changes to include a
    YHM Diamond series free floating hand guard,
    YHM flip up front sight,
    YHM Phantom Flash hider
    and an ERGO grip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Pictures Man! Pictures!! :)

3. Troy Michalik

I was trying to resize it. It was huge.

And the puny little red dot is going to have to do until finances allow.

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Very nice Troy, Glass’s AR is a Delton and she loves it. I think you will be very happy with it. What kind of glass are you going to put on it?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I like it. You added some good quality accessories to an already good unit. Job well done Sir!!

All you need is a YHM fold down rear sight ( or Troy Ind, or one of various others ) and a sling.

Looking forward to seeing how she shoots.

Now the million dollar question - how hard was the assembly on that lower? :cool:

6. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Very pretty build! Why, that rifle has more than a few similarities to my own, what with the 20" barrel, YHM free float, stock, grip, DTI parts, cheap red dot etc.:D

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Very nice, Troy! You prefer the red dot over the holographic ya think?

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Troy! Good on ya'.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very nice, sir! My hat's off to you. Now it's time for a range report!

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Great job! Welcome to the club. It was easy, right?

JD, what about a sling? What are good choices for a sling? My new AR friend needs one, too.

And a good red-dot, but that's different. I might want to save for a nicer one rather than go less expensive now.

11. Jedi940

Jedi940 New Member

Looks nice. Im about to build a similar setup from del-ton on a spikes tactical lower.
    - fold down sight
    - yhm flash hider

Not sure about the rail though, I think I am sticking with the standard handguard to save weight. Would like to see the range report. What size barrel did you get? Lightweight, M4, or heavy?

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

13. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Nice job buddy!

How long you going to keep her a virgin? As much as I want to go shoot a new gun, there is also something very pleasant about just holding a newborn.

14. Troy Michalik

Thanks for all of the kind words guys.

I know I didn't make a big deal about the coming build. I told a few on here that I had bought a few lowers when I saw a killer deal last year. But otherwise kept it pretty quiet. I did my due diligence, read a LOT, then read some more. I'm pretty mechanical so I wasn't too worried, but the assembly was totally easy. Ok, there were a couple of tense moments when I had to really rap on a roll pin, but all in all it was a very addicting experience. ;)

Del-Ton was a real pleasure to work with. Parts are quality and the fit is very nice. I did have one issue however. After the build was complete, I had the red-dot mounted and was just starting to bore sight it when I noticed that the gas tube was sticking out along the left side of the front sight. It hadn't been pinned in place!! Oops. I briefly thought about trying to pin it myself, but that passed quickly as I don't have the proper sight block and it was their fault anyway. Del-Ton wasn't shy about giving me an RMA# and UPS was out the next day to pick it up. I think it was back in a little over a week. Like I said before, good folks to work with.

One of the key tips I kept seeing was to work under a sheet of clear plastic when playing with some of the detents. But instead of that I just put the receiver inside of a dry cleaning bag. VERY handy.

I haven't completely made up my mind on optics yet. Since this is a heavy 20" barrel, I'm leaning towards a scope vs. a holographic site. I'm just thinking a holo-site make better sense on a 16"er, lighter faster handling. But this brings me to a question I've been pondering.

How well do QD mounts hold their zero when you take your scope off and back on again?

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have this one and I love it. The thing is multi-adjustable, with a quick release and the padding spreads the weight across a good surface area.
    LaRue Tactical Padded Sling

But it has special attachments, basically built for their Stealth Upper, so the one Lon recommend is a great choice as well.

Agreed. That is a good sling as well.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Troy, I was using a LaRue QD mount for my scope and it held zero like crazy.

But now, I've done away with the scope on my AR and gone with an EOTech, which I think I'll stay with probably forever. So now I have a LaRue 1-inch QD mount on my hands with no use for it.

However....I'll swap you for your M1A. Let me know.

17. Troy Michalik

Ummmmmm. . . . . about that :rolleyes:

18. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Let me know if this works, 'cuz I'll run out and buy a few more LaRue mounts to make a deal, too ;)

Troy, good looking SUR you got there. You did a good job, and I think you'll be happy with the Del-Ton kit, too.

Slo

19. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member