Filp up sites

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lifeguardkliff, Aug 3, 2013.

1. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

I just received my adams arms 14.5 in mid tactical and want to shoot it as soon as possible but can't quite afford optics at least for the next few weeks so I'm looking to buy some flip up sites and wanted to see what you guys thought would be best to mount on the gas block

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have a set of Troys and absolutely love them. My rear is the DiOptic and my front is a HK style

Attached Files:

3. lifeguardkliff

Are they alloy? I don't want to get the magpul gen 2 cause they are polymer and I'm not sure if its a good idea to attach something like that to my gas block even though its a piston gun I'm still new to this so any help would good help

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah they're metal. They have two types, one for gas blocks and one for rails like mine is on. Also just as a heads up, they aren't cheap. About 200 bucks or so for both of them depending on where you find them

5. monteros

monteros New Member

I just bought and installed the Troy battle sites also. I absolutely love them too. Here is a thread I started and used to help me decide which to buy:

Folding Sights: What do you use?

Search for that title in this forum.

Regarding Magpul, I have seen them referenced over and over about wing lighter and rock solid with no issues. :)

6. monteros

monteros New Member

My next build with be a pinned 14.5 " barreled upper and with a focus on being light for close quarters shooting and I am intending to use Magpul as backup irons with a red dot

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A TruGlo red dot can be had for under $50 and will work great for plinking. These are designed to use on shotguns, so they certainly can handle AR 15 recoil. I run two TG red dots, one on a AR15, the other on a Mossy 715t 22lr.

The red dot is a heck of lot easier on my 50+ year old eyes.

8. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

my AR has the Magpul MBUS rear sight on it with a standard ml-sped FSB. works great, and folds down flat so it can stay on the receiver after the optic is installed, giving you the "iron sight back" up incase anything happens to your optic. --even though the MBUS is plastic.

cost was about $50 for the rear. If you need the front, I think they are about $30. I'm happy with the quality of my rear flip up. it's very solid feeling, and as far as I can tell, zero hasn't moved at all despite the fact that it folds down out of the way. at 100 yards, the slightest change of position of the sights could move your POI an inch or more. mine hasn't shifted.

(but it's also not a duty rifle, so I can't comment on the longevity/quality of the MBUS sights on something that's carried every day and sees rough duty. mine is just a 'weekend toy')

9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Is your gas block standard rail height? Is it the same height as your flat top receiver? If isn't the same height you need a front sight that's made specific for a gas block rail. Here are some options for you:

Gas block height:
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...flip-sight-prod21358.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ont-sights-prod26112.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...lock-sight-prod27471.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

Rail height sets I prefer:
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ght-system-prod44044.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-sight-set-prod44430.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

10. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

While the Magpuls are great, especially for being polymer and I hate to use the word but cheap, if he installed the front on his gas block like he said, the sight would end up melting due to the gas block getting hot (at least on the DI system)

To the OP, also look at Matech rear folding sights. They're very nice and are adjustable to I believe 600 yards

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have never seen or heard anyone say their magpul flip up front sight melted from their gas block. Has anyone? It make sense that it could happen, but I would think that magpul would consider that concern in their design, no?

12. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I think it could melt if.....you fired 10,000 rounds non-stop through your gun with your selector on automatic. Since most of us can't afford 10,000 rounds of .223 nor a fully automatic AR-15, I doubt this will ever happen.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. lifeguardkliff

It says right on the magpul site not to mount on the gas block so I figure it is def possible for the site to melt but I'm not running a di system

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Magpuls are the way to go for me. They're durable, always true in my experience, light weight, and affordable. I've had Troys...and they're really good...but cost twice as much as Magpuls and aren't a bit better.

If you look on EBay or Amazon you can find some pretty excellent deals on Magpul flip sights. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $80-90 for a F/R set or $45 for a rear, delivered...in whatever color you prefer.

I've experienced the more expensive stuff and I do have pretty nice rifles. Yet I see no reason to buy anything but Magpul flip sights for the time being.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Mounting a Mbus on your gas block is a bad idea. But if you can get it on a rail, they are more resilient to drop damage, lighter and cheaper.

Becareful of what sight you put on a gas block. Make sure its a gas block height sight.

16. lifeguardkliff

My only issue with mounting on the rail is the fact that using a free floating hand guard and I'm a little concerned about accuracy where as if I mount to the gas block I know for sure that is dead on with the barrel

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The back up sites on a free float hand guard will shoot minute of varmint, milk jug, pie plate, etc. out to reasonable distances. If you expect precision, you need a pinned on mil spec front sight gas block.

18. lifeguardkliff

Looks like I'm going the cheap way with some magpul sites then thanks for the info