Film at 11:00

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Oct 7, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I've mentioned before on this forum that I don't own an AR-15, an AK-47, or any other gun that could be considered an "assault" or a "black" rifle. Likewise, with handguns the only pistols I own that could be considered tactical are my 1911's.

I do have two "riot" shotguns, a Mossberg and a Smith & Wesson, but they are pretty much stock, without the additions of folding stocks, laser sights, pistol grips, etc.

Now, the main reason I don't own any tacticool guns is that I don't especially care for 'em. They don't "sing" to me. I've noticed that during the past few years that, for whatever reason, I seem to be re-creating my father's gun collection. Older "classic" guns.

But, I have thought that the nature of my collection will also help if, god forbid, I ever have to use one for self defense. I think -- could be wrong-- that the average jury would tend to be less intrinsictly prejudiced towards, say, a lever action 30-30 than they would a tricked out AR-15.

It is a peeve of mind that whenever there are two or three guns found together, it is called an "arsenal". I know that the average person would find the number of firearms I own to be . . . numerous. However, hopefully the absence of "assault" (another term the media uses that just pisses me off) would hopefully allow me to present myself as the slightly eccentric collector (that I am) rather than one of those "survivalist nuts" (my apologies to all the survivalist nuts out there).

(I still want an MIA, though. It's a hunting rifle, right?)

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

M1A's are technically a varmint rifle, IMHO!

3. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Yeah, for hunting baby blue headed UNk's.........lol

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I am ever in a courtroom, and some crusading prosecutor is holding my shotgun in one hand and waving it over his head, I would like for my attorney to be able to say "Why is he waving my client's bird gun over his head?".

I live in the country. 11 of the 12 jurors will have one that looks like it around the house somewhere.

That is also why the ammo in my EDC handgun is the same as in the magazine in the pistol of the deputy standing baliff in the courtroom. If anyone asks me why I chose THAT cartridge, I plan to point to the Deputy, and say "Since the County buys it for him to use, and he is carrying it right now, I thought it would be a safe and effective choice."

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

God forbid , They dont call them " Riot" shotguns any more. Don't you know they are known to the media as a AR15's ? I think the whole " Riot" shotgun has turned to the tactical name wether you like the name or not thats what most have turned to . Its a new status thats everyone wants and its making manufacturers money so they are running with it . You might as well buy a AR15 you already own a "Assault" shotgun you know :D

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

If I am ever in a courtroom, and some crusading prosecutor is holding my shotgun in one hand and waving it over his head, I would like for my attorney to be able to say "Why is he waving my client's bird gun over his head?".

Exactly.

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Heck, the media would probably call my sporterized Springfield 30-06 a "customized military rifle".

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Possum,

I also have a collection of my family's guns including my Grandfathers which I prize very much. I also love the old nostalgic common design and beautiful old weapons. If only they could talk!!!! And the quality and craftsmanship was fantastic as a whole.

The sad thing is they want to start with the allegedly called assault rifles which are not actually assault rifles! But unfortunately it will not stop there! Next semi auto shotguns then semi pistols then guns in general! Their intent is to totally disarm the American citizens altogether! Citizens without weapons are subjects and that is their intention. Anyone who does not believe in this agenda has a severe case of the "Ostrich Syndrome"! (Head in the sand!) And fortunately I hope it will never come to that God forbid, because there will be a civil war when they attempt to enforce their agenda of any confiscation.;)

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My Personal Defense Firearms may look like "assault firearms", but I can assure you that the only thing they have assaulted was a piece of paper.

(and there is no way they could get out of the safe by themselves.)

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I gotta say, Grandads Model 11 Remington 12 gauge is a riot to fire and a son of a gun if your the one its being fired at!

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Hi, do you have a pic of the Springfield? Thank you.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

:confused: by the title.

I like all guns. I don't own any terrifying black rifles yet, but I plan to someday. Wouldn't use them in a defensive role, though.

We currently have a bolt action 20ga in the closet for that. How's that for "bird gun," huh? If that doesn't sway the jury my way, I dunno what will. My loveable demeanor and face, I suppose.

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'll dig it out and take one.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You have a S&W 12 ga pump? I carried one of those in the patrol car oh so many years ago and loved it. It's the only pump I know of with all the controls where I thought they should be. I'm jealous.

15. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

In a Sales environment (trying to convince others guns are good is selling) getting a lot of Yes nods is positive. I think you could go thru lots of questions to obtain and educate others. For example:

Ive thought about being in a courtroom and asking jurors...
    - Do you drive a car? lots of yes nods
    - Do you have a drivers license? lots of yes nods
    - Why do you have a drivers license? Its the law

ask if they obey the speed limits (or close), wear their seat belt, etc...and the list goes on with lots of Yes nods.

Ask the jurors if they are aware that open carry (Va) is perfectly legal providing you are abiding by the law. Inform them and ask them if they dont believe you to ask the Judge, the Baliff or any other LEO in the courtroom. Perhaps them hearing statements like that in the presence of law enforcement it would be more convincing. Id be willing to bet most arent going to know.

You could play out the same process for handguns and you are now certified to CCW...taken a course and have a permit from the State Police or whomever issues the permits.

Remind them that you are a law abiding citizen and are obeying with the laws.

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The term "arsenal" is on the lips of the speaker, or mind of the beholder. Some would call any number over 1 an arsenal. Some of us might not call any number under 350 an arsenal, or not even know the meaning of the word.

Hopefully if a courtroom is involved we all have the sense to hire an attorney that is completely in tune with firearms defense. If they aren't, you need a new attorney.