Filing rollmarks?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by tenchi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. tenchi

tenchi New Member

any good recommendations filling in rollmarks? Not color fills, but permanently filling manufacturer rollmarks

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Easy to remove metal illegal to add it back in that fashion. Certain markings you cannot legally remove. Who made the gun and its serial number are two such along with where it was made or any importation marks. Removing such can possibly earn a 10 year vacation at club fed

3. tenchi

tenchi New Member

Yes, it is very illegal to remove SN. No intentions of removing such, but more interested in removing the company's logo.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Grey area there. You cannot remove manufacturers identification marks either. Reason being you can have identical serial numbers across several different manufacturers, so then the manufacturer name becomes the distinguishing feature.

Also to be considered is that removing any markings could (and probably will) devalue the gun even if they are legal to remove. These markings often will be used to value guns if not today then 20 or 50 years from now. It could be a significant difference in value.

Curious but why would you seek to do this anyhow? :confused:

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'm interested to know why the OP wants to remove/fill in the roll marks also....

6. tenchi

tenchi New Member

dont like the big deer antlers on the side of my ar lower.

7. tenchi

tenchi New Member

wait, logos are okay right? thought only letters and numbers were off limits

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

whats required is recognized trade name of the gun maker, serial number, and any importation markings.

i assume your talking about stag.

my personal non-lawyer opinion is if your thinking about paddling in a grey area your putting yourself at the mercy of a political animal who may or may not need juuuuuust one more conviction for a promotion or bonus or to complete his quota for the month...

up to you

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

No offense but if you didn't like the antlers, why did you buy that brand of AR? These days EVERYONE is building AR's.. You could have gotten one without a logo or at least one you could live with.

I agree with Jon and wouldn't take the chance of removing anything...

10. tenchi

tenchi New Member

selection wasn't that good around this time last yr and jumped on it in the private sales section. Price was reasonable at the time; beggers can't be choosers.

I understand your points and appreciate the feedback.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Lowers are available and fairly inexpensive today. Why not build up one you like and sell the Stag lower?

12. tenchi

tenchi New Member

actually, that's exactly what i'm going to do. Going to pick up a couple anderson lowers and call it a day.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You could get an 80% lower and have no markings at all.

14. tenchi

tenchi New Member

oh wow, thats a nice looking lower!

I picked up a couple Anderson 80% lowers the other day for $40.50 shipped each. Too good of a deal to pass up.

15. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Where did you order those if you don't mind me askin

16. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I found them I googled it thank you

17. tenchi

tenchi New Member

Hey, sorry for the late reply. They had a coupon code for 10% off plus free shipping bringing down the total to 40.50$ but that expired on 6-16.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I went to Anderson's website and they say that it does not come with a jig. They do not offer a jig either. One of the reasons (besides money) I don't have an 80% lower is because the jigs are so costly.

19. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Ya I paid $80 for my jig but I thought it was worth it