Filed down front sight - need to fix

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by francisarsenic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. francisarsenic

francisarsenic New Member

Hi all. I bought a Beretta 75 at a gun show. I took it to the range and was surprised how off the sights were. A fellow Beretta lover at the range looked at the gun for me and said someone filed down the front sight for some reason. Problem is the front sight is fixed/integral to the barrel. Is this sight replaceable? How would a gunsmith fix this? Thanks for any help. I've attached a picture of a normal Beretta 75 (not mine).

Attached Files:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The sight could be silver soldered in. If it is not and you need to raise it (and lower the POI), a good smith should be able to build it up.

3. francisarsenic

Thanks danf_fl. I'll look into that.

4. DnvrSmity

DnvrSmity New Member

May be cheaper / better to file down rear sight.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

While true that it would be cheaper, you would then have two sights messed up instead of just one.

6. DnvrSmity

DnvrSmity New Member

hiwall

Yes. I should have said only a real, quality smith should reshape the rear sight. Anyone less would indeed screw this up but I thought that was obvious. (And my bet is that the front could use a little dressing, too).

7. francisarsenic

Yeah, I thought about that. You see, I have a Beretta 21A .22LR. It's sights are so low-profile they're nearly nonexistent, but it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. That gave me the notion I could have the rear sight modded.

I also considered having someone fabricate new night sights (if that is possible?). But the gun is so petite I can't imagine I'd be able to disassemble the barrel from the slide if it had night sights.

I appreciate the suggestions. More options, the better.