Fighting Cowards with Better Engineering

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Soldiers survived!!

This is one of the new "hardened" MRAP vehicles that was hit by a 500 lb bomb (IED). The vehicle was totally destroyed, but EVERYONE IN THE VEHICLE WALKED AWAY.

Note the unusual construction of the bottom of the hardened Pathfinder APC. Note the bottom looks like the hull of a ship. The blast picked up the truck and turned it around! The driver got some broken ribs (see the photo of the steering wheel), but that's it. Everyone walked away from a 500 lb explosion directly beneath their vehicle.

Attached Files:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Some more pictures of the damage...

Attached Files:

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Look how far that engine got thrown!!! Can you imagine??

I don't know who the team was that designed that damn thing, but I would be DAMN PROUD to buy them more than a few cold ones to say:

THANK YOU FOR A JOB WELL EFFING DONE!!!

Attached Files:

4. ChuckD

ChuckD New Member

Man that is crazy and had to have been scary. Glad they made it out alive!

5. WDB

WDB New Member

That has got to piss off the ragheads that wasted 500 pounds of explosives and only messed up the truck!

6. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

They seems to be very well built.... I bet that you reinstall the engine, make all conections, fill up again with oil and will run like nothing.... looks like a Caterpillar 3126 one of the most reliables diesel engines, they resist use and abuse, if you really see tha pics, the only damage was the front end... that truck maybe can be saved...

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That was built good. I would have been the guy that got out and was pissed off that they blew up my brand new truck. I would really have to kill someone after that.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Kudos to the engineers on that one!
    I heard some talk on the "news" that these vehicles are too heavy for some areas in Afghanistan, though. Maybe they could just pattern bomb those areas or something.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Outstanding!

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

JD!! Who builds these things! Their engineers and everyone involved from assembly to delivery deserves a big round of applause!! Well Done Gentlemen!!

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know Dune - I got it from a good friend who's brother is in Intel. It came as a "unclassified" report in a MS Powerpoint type of screen by screen slide show. It probably happened a year ago and just now got out...

This is the guys name who filed the report:

MAJ Brent *****
    Sr. Project Officer
    Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027 ​

I deleted his last name & duty station because I don't have his permission, but he is on the unclassified report, so anyone that gets the e-mail has it. *shrug*

I just thought it was time to hear some good news about the battle with the IEDs for a change.

That thing is a BEAST and is one hell of an Engineering Marvel. Do you know how many Humvees could be destroyed with a 500lb IED??? :eek:

JD

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The shape along with the thickness is what makes it so good. It send the blast to the sides and not up adding to the protection. Whoever did this was thinking and thinking right when they did it.

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

[​IMG]

Two truck manufacturers Oshkosh and International were selected among nine companies, each providing two Category I and two Category II vehicles for testing. The Category I vehicle is the smaller of the two vehicles, intended for urban operations and referred to as the Mine Resistant Utility Vehicle (MRUV). The Category II vehicle is a larger platform, designated as the Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal Rapid Response Vehicle (JERRV), and is designed to carry up to 10 passengers on multiple types of missions.

[​IMG]

International Engines and Trucks (IET) has teamed with the Israeli armor expert Plasan Sasa to provide protected Mine Resistant, Ambush protected (MRAP) vehicles. The two companies have already completed another armoring design, fitting add-on armor cab to the MXT-MV utility vehicle. International’s trucks will utilize a modular concept to armor its trucks for the MRAP bid. The design maintains the standard chassis to ensure commonality and enable worldwide support, while assembling the modular, V-shaped crew compartment hull on top. The V-shaped hull helps to deflect any blasts from underneath the truck to dissipate around the crew area, minimizing damage. The chassis types selected for the bid include commercial trucks built to carry heavy loads, therefore accommodating the weight of protective armor built into the truck design. This design maintains the vehicle's maneuverability even under full loads.

[​IMG]

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

This thing is a testament to American enginuity and manufacturing. I saw them on the Military Channel one day, they did a mock ambush on a small motorcade of Chevy Suburbans in which a political person was present. After the RPG's took out the trucks, this monster came to the rescue. I think they were called the Buffalo at the time, not sure what they call them now. I call them one tough SOB.:cool: