Field & Stream Gunsafe`s (Stack-On) Pure Chinese JUNK!!!!

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by PaPow, Mar 9, 2018.

1. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

After 8+ months of trying to get this POS safe fixed (keypad, internal lock electronics), it`s still not fixed. Runs the 9-volt battery down overnight, keypad only works on the lower row of numbers. The Stack-On company has absolutely the WORST customer service i`ve EVER delt with. Three times in a row they sent me the wrong parts. The new parts they (took forever to mail to me) wern`t even close to matching what is on/in the safe. Every time i contacted them, it take 3 to 4 more messages each month before they react to my response/needs/messages. Just a horrible company...PERIOD.

Save your money for an American made safe. These field & stream gunsafes are pure garbage. MADE IN CHINA....NEVER AGAIN. Theres a GOOD reason you`ll pay $2 grand more, for a comparable sized gun safe made in the good ole USA.

Our funds were limited, so my wife an i thought the field & stream gunsafe would get us by for now. Boy were WE wrong. Stay away from chinese made safes, they aren`t worth your time, and certainly NOT worth what you pay for them. Hard lesson learned.

towboater, tinbucket, Shopfox and 4 others like this.
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry about your experience, and thanks for the heads up.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

that Stack-On brand, i'd stick with their plain-jane no frills model that uses a regular key, or a padlock to secure them. i just don't have any faith in those cheap electronic locks.

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Dallas, but have a different reason: Go to YouTube and search for “open gun safe with magnet”. This Mr locksmith guy pops open digital gun safes, in seconds, using a sock, and a super magnet.

kfox75, tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Dallas53

i have seen some of those videos before. defeating locks or such with some common everyday items and a little knowledge. ( sometimes, if you have insomnia, there is no telling what you might find on YouTube at 3 am!)

good point Mr. Jiggs.

kfox75 likes this.
  6. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen!
    The logic of replacing key, pins and tumbler with some cheesy electronic circuit escapes me!

ellis

kfox75, tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  7. Dallas53

Meh? i would have gone with a more plain basic bones safe, or storage locker that used a key or a padlock. but as you said, live and learn a hard lesson. and i'm not going to sit back and rub salt in the wound, and say i could have told you so, but i could have told you so! (JK!!!)

i fully understand, if funds are limited, we have to make do with what we can afford, and you are by far not the only one in that boat. sometimes we have to improvise and find an alternative option that might work in the meantime.

if anything, your experience with that safe, and i will use the term loosely in this case, is it can serve as an example for others to shop elsewhere if they need storage or security for their guns.

kfox75, PaPow and Rifling82 like this.
  8. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

One of those cheap alternatives is to use a junked refrigerator or freezer as a safe . Drill holes in the back for ventilation , install a dehumidifier rod ( sold by Fort Knox Safes ) and wrap a chain and padlock around and through the handle . A thief will think it is chained shut to keep kids from getting locked inside or to protect food . If you hide it behind other junk in the basement, it may be all the protection you need for your guns .
    Another way is to loop a cable through the trigger guards of all of your long guns and cable them to something solid . Then put something up to block the view of them . The handguns and ammo can be locked in a file cabinet or a toolbox with a bar and padlock arrangement reinforcing it .

kfox75 and PaPow like this.
  9. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

Care to post a video of someone doing this to the field-n-stream (stack-on) 36gun or larger gunsafe with the electronic lock...???
    I see all kinds of videos relating to the SENTRY toaster oven safes, but not an actual large gunsafe.

Folks, ANY gunsafe can be broken in to. All a gunsafe is for, is to slow the burgler down.
    Any safe can be opened up easily, eventually, with the right tools and bare hands.
    Heck i can cut this safe open with a grinder or sawzall.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

If a burglar knew a safe was full of gold, he might go to the trouble to crack it . It is less likely he would crack a safe to get a bunch of bulky serial-numbered rifles .

11. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

Likely true, but when you have expensive handguns, (like i do) its worth every bit of their trouble.
    I dont think theres any true way to keep guns away from thugs an thieves though.
    We just have to do our best to hide AND secure them as well as we can.
    Such a shame where this country has gone, use to have a couple guns hangin in the back window of my truck years ago, with the windows rolled down, nobody ever bothered my guns. Never use to have to carry concealed everyday either, now i wont leave home without my CCW weapons. So sad... we have guns for different reasons today.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

Double post removed

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Dallas53 likes this.
  13. Danwin22

Danwin22 New Member

I have a Field & Stream 24-gun safe but it has a conventional combination lock. No problems of any type and it will protect my field grade .22 rifles and handguns until I can afford a better one. Any safe is better than none at all.

Bought the Field & Stream safe several years ago, mainly to slow down some teen age opportunist and protect my investment.

We live in a very quiet neighborhood and I'm on speaking terms with many neighbors. We actually look out for each other.

Only a couple of my neighbors know I own guns and they do too.