field report....winchester SXP

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bobski, Oct 4, 2014.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

holy cow what a lemon.
    shot a buddies the other day.
    bbl kept loosening up every shot.
    its barrel heavy.
    and it kicks like a mule.
    sorry guys...thumbs down from me on this gun.
    its a 2x4.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have not shot a Winchester. I have handled a few that friends have bought. The action is rather stiff even after a couple hundred rounds. The SXP does have a heavy barrel, especially the trap model. The trap model with a 32" barrel needs a tapered barrel similar to the Remington light contour barrel. I have an 870 Wingmaster with a light contour barrel. It is a good all around gun.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I've only shot two. One was a short barrel model that turned me off before I pulled the trigger so I cannot offer an unbiased opinion. Second was a field model with a 28" barrel. Handled okay for me, no malfunctions. Action was a little stiff but it was new. Barrel did get a little loose after about 30 or 40 shots. A bit front end heavy, due more to the light receiver than the heavy barrel to my thinking. Didn't tempt me to give up my Wingmaster that's for sure, but it works.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agree 100%. A synthetic stock does not flatter a gun with an aluminum receiver. The rotating bolt is nothing to jump up and down about. A Stevens is pretty much the same gun at half the cost.