field find pistol

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by purehavoc, Jul 2, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My buddy found this stuck on on of his farm impliments while dragging it through the field. It still has 4 unfired rounds in the chamber

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Aww, sweet! An old pepper box! I'll bet someone was pissed about losing that thing a long time ago, probably had to save for over a year to buy it.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That's awesome! Hang it on the wall, or stick it on the shelf. I'd ask who the maker was, but I think that would be a little out of the question. :D Any ideas about what caliber it was?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No idea but just guessing .32 cal

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That sounds about right. I think they also had a .36 back then too.

I feel bad for the guy who ended up on the business end of that. Screw the double tap, quadruple tap is the way to go. :D

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Guess the obvious question is how the hell did it get out there, was it in someone's pocket when it was "lost." Better not dig too deep, never know what else may be under the ground...:eek:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

It was a rotary hoe so it doesnt dig very deep. My guess a previous land owner or farm hand lost it as it may have fallen out of a pocket while on a tractor or walking the field

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

How can you tell what it is as beat up as it is?? :confused:

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"How can you tell what it is as beat up as it is??"
    the Remingtons had a very odd design to their grip frames. Plus there was not to many companies making 4-barrel guns.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Some of it's guess work. Figuring out what was popular or most likely to have been carried back then. Also, that gun has a very distinctive grip profile and trigger guard. If you can call it a trigger guard...

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Same profile as the gun in the back on the third shelf, in my 4th safe :)

Seriously- 4 shot top break, very distinctive shape of grip. Checked a couple of my references- yep, suspicion confirmed. Mark Twain had one when exploring out West. Said it was a lovely little gun that he could not hit squat with.

14. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

So... do 'ya wanna pawn it or sell it? ;)

15. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Field finds are so cool. Too bad we will never know the story behind it. And I hate to see a beautiful old firearm deteriorated away to uselessness. Still, far better found than to remain buried forever.

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Neat find. I dug this up metal detecting a few years ago. 1892 Winchester 32-20 made in 1907. Three months in a kerosene soak freed it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Doesn't look like much of a snake gun; were tractor-jackings common in the area? :confused:

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

LOL , No Im far enough away from Chicago you dont have to worry about tractor jackings ;)

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Hawg,

That is a neat rifle! I think I would try to find some wood for it obviously it could even be a fake copy. Then age it a little bit and hang her on the wall or fireplace. Fair shape considering! And deserves the respect!
    And the pepper box is also very unique! Wow what a find both are! Wish they could talk!

20. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I thought about that but wood is pricey and I just can't afford it right now.