FFL to Sell Bullets

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by fishon28, Mar 24, 2010.

1. fishon28

fishon28 New Member

What license, if any, is needed to make and sell custom bullets?

These would be hand swaged target projectiles only?

Thanks,

Bill S.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No ffl to make and sell bullets. Loaded CARTRIDGES require that you have a license as a manufacturer of ammunition- and that you pay the Federal taxes on your product. Bullets, not cartridges- no federal icense required.

3. fishon28

fishon28 New Member

FFL to make and sell bullets

Do you have a definitive source or ATF regulation to dope this out for certain.

When talking to others now making and selling bullets for target shooting, many have Class 6 FFL and insist it is required while several others also involved in same enterprise say it is unnecessary. Even the ATF Field Agent who contacted us was unsure.

Just want to be diligent and legal.

Thanks very much.

Bill:)

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am going to have to retract what I said in my first post. ATF is lumping cartridges cases, bullets, powder and primers under ammo manufacturing, Exceptions for lead shot, shot shells, and BP bullets. I would suggest you call the Firerams Techical branch over in Martinsburg WV. Am on the road, do not have their number with me, but if you call local ATF office, they should have phone number. Regulation is over around 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41. My bad.